Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Iberdola- overestimated electricity bill

Iberdola- overestimated electricity bill

Old Jul 2nd 2008, 6:26 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Iberdola- overestimated electricity bill

Well, one thing I am going to look at is LEDs. They are even better than the special bulbs, and cheaper to run.

It can really, really pay to look at what you do, when and how. What stuns me in Spain is how few solar installations you see. It costs a FORTUNE to heat water, so why not tap into all that free solar power?

Photo volataics I don't like as they require such a massive investment in batteries.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
It pays to use internet banking and check once a day in order you are aware of monies taken,You can then take action quickly to retrieve your cash. Best of luck
Just a word of advice on the internet banking bit, do not use online banking if your bank has no sms alerts built into their online application for any transactions made with your online account, i'm serious... if they do not have this then do not open an online account, in fact if you can live without one then do.

HTH
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
What stuns me in Spain is how few solar installations you see. It costs a FORTUNE to heat water, so why not tap into all that free solar power?
Since Sept 2006 Spanish building regulations rule new buildings must have solar panels:
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsst...8965/story.htm
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dizzyb
Hi all,
just found all of you byaccident after I Googled 'Iberdrola'
Think I may have a problem shortly With the switch over of my supply from 'Builders' to our own .So after coming across this forum ,am wondering does any one know a local office for Iberdrola in my area. I have a place in Algorfa -close to Almoradi and Guardamar, and La Finca Golf. I 'm coming over on Tues,and suspect I may not electricity .I thought I had some one on the case for me, but I want to be prepared (and I wasn't even a boy scout !) for all eventualities. My spanish is not good enough for a phone call. What are their English speakers like?Tho I do have their phone number.
Can any one give me any info?
All local offices have now been closed - sorry - you will have to make the telephone call - be prepared for a long wait!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 9:51 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Since Sept 2006 Spanish building regulations rule new buildings must have solar panels:
http://www.planetark.com/dailynewsst...8965/story.htm
Here's a question. What's the colour of your roof?

If you paint it white, it can really cut down on the need for air con.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Here's a question. What's the colour of your roof?

If you paint it white, it can really cut down on the need for air con.
Brown, mine is tiled with clay tiles and the sun bakes down on it all day... to be honest I live on the top '5th' floor and I don't have air con, can't really handle it personally.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:15 pm
bil
Banned

What's the difference in temp of your ceiling between sunrise and sunset?
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Sorry, got better things to do!
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:41 pm
bil
Banned

Better things than seeing where your energy costs go?

Lucky old you!

I was just curious. I'll set up a string of experiments when I'm out there to see just how effective these tricks are.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Better things than seeing where your energy costs go?

Lucky old you!
What energy costs, I did say I don't have air con...
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 6:02 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Did you really mean to ask that
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
bil
Banned

Yeah. I'm very interested in seeing how all these cooling techniques work in real life, and as Econ has a reddish roof, I was curious to see if the internal ceiling surface temp varies much.

My perception is that painting my flat roof white has caused a big difference. However, perception is easily skewed, and I need experimental evidence to back it up.

Never mind, I shall just set up some experiments, which shouldn't be too hard. I plan to make the sun work hard for me, and to manipulate things to maximise cooling effects in the hope of minimising or eliminating the need for air con altogether.

So far the aids to cooling are

Acclimatisation, prevention, heat dumping, evaporative and radiant cooling.

(There is also the option of a solar chimney with air scoops and a geothermal element to cool incoming air, or an evaporative tower. That tho is a last option as it is more complex and expensive in time and work so I won't consider it here).

Acclimatisation is obvious, prevention the painting the roof white, preventing the sun from shining into the living space, and keeping doors and windows closed all day, but open at night.

Heat dumping is a form of radiative cooling which relies on a thin roof and a well ventilated space under it.

I was thinking of applying insulation to the corrugated asbestos roof over the master bedroom, but not any more. It has a suspended insulated ceiling, and by removing a couple of tiles in the summer, I can let the thin roof cool the 'loft space' rapidly and from there the warm air from the bedroom will flood out.

Should that and the white paint on the roof not be cool enough of a night, I plan to set up a radiator at ceiling level and run pipes out to another one or two rads on the roof which will radiate heat out into the sky. A thermosyphon will then trade that cool water fro the warmer water in the bedroom rad, and from that the air in the room.

As for evaporative cooling, a 4mm water pipe and some micro nozzles can either wash down the whole roof, or els supply a drip pad to the backs of the roof rads to provide extra cooling.

What really surprises me is that so many people complain about the heat, but so few seem interested in doing anything about it.

If anyone is interested in discussing it, I'm always eager to learn more.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bil
Yeah. I'm very interested in seeing how all these cooling techniques work in real life, and as Econ has a reddish roof, I was curious to see if the internal ceiling surface temp varies much.
Just by knowing the colour of the roof and if the temp varies or not on the inside is not a guide to anything really Bil, it depends what's between the roof and the ceiling, so that would need to be taken into consideration. My ceiling is about 1 meter deep before it reaches the roof, yours might not be and the contents of mine might differ from yours or anyone elses.

It is fairly common knowledge that light surfaces reflect the heat while dark surfaces do not, so a darker surface will generally be hotter than a lighter one.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:30 pm
bil
Banned

True, but I was interested in how these things differ for other types of roof. I have both a solid flat roof as well as a thin asbestos roof with an air space similar to what you describe.

You are absolutely right that it is common knowledge regarding heat and colour variation, but if it's so common, how come it's so seldom done?

I had my leg pulled a bit for painting mine white.
Old Jul 3rd 2008, 7:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Just by knowing the colour of the roof and if the temp varies or not on the inside is not a guide to anything really Bil, it depends what's between the roof and the ceiling, so that would need to be taken into consideration. My ceiling is about 1 meter deep before it reaches the roof, yours might not be and the contents of mine might differ from yours or anyone elses.

It is fairly common knowledge that light surfaces reflect the heat while dark surfaces do not, so a darker surface will generally be hotter than a lighter one.
When I read that I thought about the arabs wearing black robes, so looked it up.
HERE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.