Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I want to come back

I want to come back

Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:25 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I want to come back

Originally Posted by cricketman
A chocolate sandwich is a Spanish speciality

And there are Spanish people who eat Chorizo and Morcilla every day which isnt so healthy.

An unhealthy person in the UK will be unhealthy in Spain. It will make no difference. Where they may have thought it was too cold to go for a walk in the UK they will say it is too hot to do so in Spain during the summer, there is always an excuse. Add to that, it hasnt stopped raining for 2 months in the part of Spain I'm in!
Then you have my OH who does nothing but eat junk food all day and still only weighs 55 kilos, not fair! lol

Originally Posted by elle79
maybe your right,all im saying is give the girl a break,she just wanted some advise on moving back to spain ,not her eating habits
Well said.

Originally Posted by lynda32
Thanks for the kind replies and general support from some lovely member although I would be lying if I said that some of the posts that have been put on this thread were not hurtfull . I think some people should actually think before they post as right now I am very hurt by some people who have not bothered to take the time and read the post properly. Like some members have pointed out I was talking about coming back to Spain not asking advice on how to lose weight or be healthier. I never blamed Glasgow for making me obese or unhealthy...Its a different way of life I am living here that I didnt in Spain. To be honest I am really put off this forum now by some of the downright insensitive and to be honest rather nasty replies that have been put on this thread.
Again I want to thank the people who were kind enough to offer proper advice without judging.
DonĀ“t leave the forum just because of some silly comments, we all take a bit of bashing from time to time. Lots of great people on here with lots of good info.
(SNIP)

Last edited by Madridboy; Feb 15th 2010 at 5:14 pm. Reason: I will be the last to edit my own posts lol
Old Feb 15th 2010, 4:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I won't ask again
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

missbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud ofmissbad has much to be proud of

Hope you find a way of going back and being very happy x
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:05 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just looking for some advice really. I lived in Benidorm for a couple of years but moved back to the UK as my teenage daughter was missing my parents too much. However we have all had trouble settling here including my daughter. I alone have put on 4 stone in weight due to the lack of healthy living, motivation and being generally depressed about having to return to the UK. My daughter absolutely loathes being in the UK as well as my partner. I would love to return but would have to try and secure a large enough rented home with land and a granny flat attached for my parents to come often as that was the issue the last time. I would also have to find some form of work. im not fussed at all about what i would do as im a taxi driver in the UK so dont have any fancy big career to throw away. My husband would contune to run his home internet business which we done in Spain before. I know my parents would be so upset for me to return but honestly I just cant do this anymore here. I feel trapped and so unhappy. I am looking on doing this within 2 years. Any advice or comments would so be appreciated.
(trying to bring the thread back on line)

Hi, I can't blame you for wanting to return as Spain does offer a lot. Especially as you say you can exist on your husband's internet work. But when you say you feel trapped and unhappy, is this because making the move seems too daunting? Maybe you could break in down into smaller steps eg

i) take a nightclass to brush up your Spanish
ii) perhaps learn something that could give you part-time income out there eg hairdressing, manicures etc. Posters here will tell you jobs are scarce, but at some time (we all hope) things will get better again
iii) Start looking for relevant rentals - but also keep telling your parents you'll only move when you've found somewhere that can accommodate them
iv) (easier said than done) save money for the move

Funnily enough Glasgow's one of my favourite UK cities; I found people very hospitable when I had the good fortune to work there. Hope you can settle down there even if your plan is to return to Spain eventually. And if Glasgow does get you down, why not allocate a day out in Edinburgh (or even Largs if you like the sea) just to escape from things?

Good luck
Old Feb 15th 2010, 5:15 pm
Banned

icharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really niceicharus is just really nice

This is very sound advice.

It always helps to break things down into smaller more managable chunks.

Very good post
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by elle79
dear lynda
i hope i havent upset you bringing up what agoreira wrote,i just thought it was plain rude,when he doesnt even know you.
i hope you do decide to go back and give it another go,as they say you only live once,at least you want to better your life.
i lived in spain a few years ago,but we rushed into it with blinkers on lol,it didnt work for us so we came home.i now have 2 children and like you i want whats best for my family,i miss spain too.
were planning to move back out jan next year,but were definatly not going to rush into it this time,if you can make it happen then give it another try just dont cut all your ties in uk just incase,so youve got a security net if things dont work,but at least you can say you tried,and you dont spend the rest of youre life wondering what might have been.
good uick in what ever you decide,if you want any advice just ask,try to ignore the ignorant
elle
Hi Elle
Please dont think that you have upset me. In actual fact you have been such a support.
Many Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

lynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the roughlynda32 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
(trying to bring the thread back on line)

Hi, I can't blame you for wanting to return as Spain does offer a lot. Especially as you say you can exist on your husband's internet work. But when you say you feel trapped and unhappy, is this because making the move seems too daunting? Maybe you could break in down into smaller steps eg

i) take a nightclass to brush up your Spanish
ii) perhaps learn something that could give you part-time income out there eg hairdressing, manicures etc. Posters here will tell you jobs are scarce, but at some time (we all hope) things will get better again
iii) Start looking for relevant rentals - but also keep telling your parents you'll only move when you've found somewhere that can accommodate them
iv) (easier said than done) save money for the move

Funnily enough Glasgow's one of my favourite UK cities; I found people very hospitable when I had the good fortune to work there. Hope you can settle down there even if your plan is to return to Spain eventually. And if Glasgow does get you down, why not allocate a day out in Edinburgh (or even Largs if you like the sea) just to escape from things?

Good luck
Thanks!!! actually when you break it down like this it is so much more easier to look at and has given me something to aim for in the meantime. I really really apreciate this post. and it has certainly brightened up my day.
Many Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2010, 6:48 pm
Just Joined

elle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant futureelle79 has a brilliant future

Hi Elle
Please dont think that you have upset me. In actual fact you have been such a support.
Many Thanks
hi lynda

you said you lived in benidorm,thats where im thinking of moving to,where did you live,is there anywhere youd recommend,what school did your daughter go to did she settle ok,i did put up a post asking for advice but the threads strayed slightly lol its on page 1,any advice from you would be great.
thanks elle x

Last edited by elle79; Feb 15th 2010 at 7:08 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:25 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!!! actually when you break it down like this it is so much more easier to look at and has given me something to aim for in the meantime. I really really apreciate this post. and it has certainly brightened up my day.
Many Thanks
No bother! Actually these boards can be a great resource and we can all find out a lot from other posters here. Just don't get take it to heart if threads go off-topic or someone puts a snide comment in. Once again good luck!
Old Feb 15th 2010, 7:36 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lynnxa
where's Jur when you need him - doesn't he drive a taxi?

is he a he
Haha, male I am! For driving a taxi you need, drivinglicence B with the BTP authorization, a theoretical exam of 20 questions (In Spanish). For buying a licence, go to city hall to see if thereĀ“s a wating list. Or straight to the taxistand. Prices vary a lot, in Ayamonte ā‚¬ 20.000 in Madrid ā‚¬ 150.000
Old Feb 15th 2010, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Just looking for some advice really. I lived in Benidorm for a couple of years but moved back to the UK as my teenage daughter was missing my parents too much. However we have all had trouble settling here including my daughter. I alone have put on 4 stone in weight due to the lack of healthy living, motivation and being generally depressed about having to return to the UK. My daughter absolutely loathes being in the UK as well as my partner. I would love to return but would have to try and secure a large enough rented home with land and a granny flat attached for my parents to come often as that was the issue the last time. I would also have to find some form of work. im not fussed at all about what i would do as im a taxi driver in the UK so dont have any fancy big career to throw away. My husband would contune to run his home internet business which we done in Spain before. I know my parents would be so upset for me to return but honestly I just cant do this anymore here. I feel trapped and so unhappy. I am looking on doing this within 2 years. Any advice or comments would so be appreciated.
Each person has priorities: there are people that is happy in a place for money; other, for quality of life; for climate; for how is the people etc etc etc. So are many the motivations for which a person is happy in a place, or is not happy

If you and your family don't adapt again to your country, and have you been happy in Spain (with all its defects and all its virtues) and do you want to continue living in Spain, do I ask you, why if you can change the situation (Spain at 2 or 3 hours of flight of UK, no?) why you don't back to Spain?? If it happens to the contrary that I visit or I live in UK, where I have been very happy (with all its defects and all its virtues) and when to back to Spain I don't adapt to my country, and I miss a lot to UK, I would make the possible thing to back to UK, and more having the security of a work

I think

Last edited by Relampago; Feb 15th 2010 at 9:38 pm.
Old Feb 15th 2010, 9:44 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Life can be as healthy, or as unhealthy as you choose to make it, wherever you are living. IMHO, Spain is no healthier than UK, there are lots of fat, obese people in both.
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...le_23835.shtml
As for the great outdoor life, I'm still in UK, and I am out walking for many hours nearly every day, I doubt many here spend much more time outdoors than I do. Whenever we are in Spain, people seem to be tucked up somewhere in the shade trying to avoid the sun, or driving in an air conditioned car to an air conditioned supermercado/bar/restaurant. I see far more people out walking nowadays here in UK than I ever used to, yesterday I passed a local beach and there were loads of people out with kids. I think it's a bit of a myth that expats spend their time in the great outdoors in Spain, that certainly doesn't reflect what I have seen. Going by the threads in expat forums, they all only seem interested in Brit TV!
I spend far more time walking in the UK, even though I live in a city there. Where I live in Spain is either too hot or too cold and too steep and hilly (well it would be, in the mountains!).

I am also one of the people who, in the summer in Spain, is sitting in the house in front of the fan, or in the car in front of the air-con. I would not go outside at all in the daytime in the summer if I had any choice about it.

Anyway, to the OP, if you want to come back and can manage on your husband's wage, them do so, but be aware that things have changed drastically in the last couple of years.

Hope it works out for you.

Last edited by scampicat; Feb 15th 2010 at 9:50 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat

I am also one of the people who, in the summer in Spain, is sitting in the house in front of the fan, or in the car in front of the air-con. I would not go outside at all in the daytime in the summer if I had any choice about it.
Phew! I was beginning to think I had imagined it all for a moment!
Old Feb 16th 2010, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

I don't know what to say, how do you all do it??? Lynda, yes go, be happy. Its grim and if you feel you were happier there then your children will be happier for you.

However, can I ask you all how you did it? I know it seems a strange question. We have abandoned our plan to go to Canada for many reasons which became very apparent after a health crisis and being forced to ask what I really wanted. Not others.

I have been doing a bit of thinking and Spain/France are emerging. But I cant take my work there and I am a bit stuck. I work in the NHS. Any wirds of wisdom?
Old Feb 16th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Post Re: I want to come back

I have turned to food as a comfort and being generally depressed has given me an absolute lack of motivation to even exercise. In Spain I spent hours walking and with the good weather I very rarely felt the need to eat stodgy food.LOL.

What are the Symptoms from SAD ? (IE:Living in Glasgow ?)

SAD can be difficult to diagnose, since many of the symptoms are similar to those of other types of depression or bipolar disorder. Even physical conditions, such as thyroid problems, can look like depression. Generally, symptoms that recur for at least 2 consecutive winters, without any other explanation for the changes in mood and behaviour, indicate the presence of SAD. They may include:

change in appetite, in particular a craving for sweet or starchy foods
weight gain
decreased energy
fatigue
tendency to oversleep
difficulty concentrating
irritability
avoidance of social situations
feelings of anxiety and despair
The symptoms of SAD generally disappear when spring arrives. For some people, this happens suddenly with a short time of heightened activity. For others, the effects of SAD gradually dissipate.

Symptoms of summer depression may include:

poor appetite
weight loss
trouble sleeping
--
DSB.