British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   I thought the Sahara was in Africa (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/i-thought-sahara-africa-711975/)

big wheels Apr 3rd 2011 11:08 pm

I thought the Sahara was in Africa

Until 3 days of strong southerly winds, followed by a day of rain seems to have deposited a large chunk of it on my patio, roof terrace and car. :sneaky::eek:

Dick Dasterdly Apr 4th 2011 9:25 am

Re: I thought the Sahara was in Africa

Nothing unusual, just worse in some areas than others.
The huge sand dunes on Maspalomas beach have been formed by sand blown over from the Sahara.
The Eastern Canaries with their prevailing Easterly winds are probably much worse than anywhere on the mainland.
I was in Fuerteventura a few years back and some of the roads were being repeatedly blocked with drifting sand,so a little bit on your motor is nothing too much to worry about.

jdr Apr 4th 2011 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by big wheels (Post 9283312)
Until 3 days of strong southerly winds, followed by a day of rain seems to have deposited a large chunk of it on my patio, roof terrace and car. :sneaky::eek:

Loads of it here too.

Elle1971 Apr 4th 2011 4:36 pm

I fight a relentless battle against the sand here in Lanzarote. That... and black dog hair from the two Labradors all over my nice ivory tiles!

Elle xx

Dick Dasterdly Apr 4th 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Elle1971 (Post 9284679)
I fight a relentless battle against the sand here in Lanzarote. That... and black dog hair from the two Labradors all over my nice ivory tiles!

Elle xx

Yes, as I was saying Elle,the Eastern Canaries are the worst by far.
I would say that Fuereventura is the worst of all, followed by Lanzarote and Gran Canaria, then maybe Tenerife and Gomera not quite so bad and La Palma and El Hierro, furthest West, least affected.
Problem is you just can't keep the darned stuff out.
It's so fine that no matter how hard you try to seal up all possible entry points it still finds a way in.

Elle1971 Apr 4th 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 9285035)
Yes, as I was saying Elle,the Eastern Canaries are the worst by far.
I would say that Fuereventura is the worst of all, followed by Lanzarote and Gran Canaria, then maybe Tenerife and Gomera not quite so bad and La Palma and El Hierro, furthest West, least affected.
Problem is you just can't keep the darned stuff out.
It's so fine that no matter how hard you try to seal up all possible entry points it still finds a way in.

Yeah, I agree - Fuerte definitely has it the worst!

It's not too bad for me today, but that's because we've had a little rain to keep the dust down.

As you say, you can't beat the dust.... so you have to get used to it and not stress too much about it.

Elle xx

mikelincs Apr 8th 2011 10:55 am

Originally Posted by jdr (Post 9284498)
Loads of it here too.

It's causing very nice sunsets here in the UK, more so in the South and West.