Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:54 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

Originally Posted by JLFS
Everyone on is an expert in other peoples business, it seems this, and it seems that, but to really know you have to be on the inside.

I know of a bar that takes 65k a month and the owners will walk away tomorrow, if they could find someone to take over the place and just pay the rent to the landlord.

Their takings have dropped over 20% over the last year or so, they need to reduce the staff to even out the losses, but even with the financial hardship clause of reducing the finiquito, it is still not affordable.

The place looks full. looks to be doing fine but the accounts tell a different story.
so therefore the materials i.e. drinks, food basics etc, or the labour is too high for the price being charged.
as you say, reduce the staff - but the service levels may drop so a negativity
then there is materials - put up the prices but that may cause people to stay away so another negativity.

so you do a Tesco, and put the screws on the suppliers (and find they will start giving poorer service and demand faster payment - another negativity

balance is important that is what keeps a childs top spinning, only when things are totally perfect will it hum.

this applies not just to bars but to all businesses - with the exception of utilities as no one can really argue successfully.

One thing I have seen recently is an increase in advertising in the free papers covering the CDS, but then for the past year I have been asking here and other places why businesses drop their advertising when the times get tough. They only advertise when times are good. Totally arse about face IMO, its no use advertising when your waiting list is 2 weeks, you are already pissing off some people, but you have enough to maintain the momentum.
You should be advertising when your waiting list is 2 minutes.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:56 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I realise this has probably been discussed a million times but..........

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
To be honest it's been markedly busier since Christmas, I don't know what bubble Marbella is in but it's quite nice! A recent trip to Fuengirola and feedback from some friends that went to Estepona and it was like a ghost town with mainly empty bars.

Not sure I'd recommend anyone to actually do it but business does seem to be significantly better
Well yes, even in the Sur in English they're reporting that things are going generally well - although they are concerned that Spanish holidaymakers may not be spending so much. Even so the numbers are encouraging and it seems that there's been a surge in last-minute bookings and so a reduction in the special offers that hotels have to make.

http://www.surinenglish.com/20120709...207091411.html

The head of the Costa del Sol Tourist Board, Elías Bendodo, released information about the expected statistics this week. “We are hoping for an increase of one per cent in the number of Spanish tourists between June and September, although we believe there is likely to be a reduction in the amount of money they spend”, he explained, before adding that the numbers of international travellers are expected to grow by at least five per cent: “We predict a stagnation in the British market, a considerable increase in the German one, a rise of between five and 10 per cent in the Scandinavian market and an increase of 30 per cent in the number of Russian visitors”, he said.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:03 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ShinyAndy
To be honest it's been markedly busier since Christmas, I don't know what bubble Marbella is in but it's quite nice! A recent trip to Fuengirola and feedback from some friends that went to Estepona and it was like a ghost town with mainly empty bars.

Not sure I'd recommend anyone to actually do it but business does seem to be significantly better
so to get a bar in Marbella at the moment it will cost you an arm and a leg, can you afford that. But Fuengirola is a nice place and not so costly, but making money isnt about a 3-4month period its a commitment you make for 12months of every year.
Never given a thought as to why so many start up and shut down or sell to some other sucker ??

Why does everyone want to own a bar or hotel, whats wrong with a nick-nack shop with Kiss Me Quick hats etc, or bikini's or a telecom shop or internet cafe, what about an upmarket (classy) lady's clothes or jewellery shop, or a kiddies toy shop. Or a ships chandlery.
But why retail, why not make something like bouys for the ships or something where you are employing people to make things.

Unless you get the project right all you are going to do is lose money, no matter what it is, when everyone wants to be a success not a failure.
If you wouldnt do it in the UK why would you be any better at it in Spain, Portugal or Italy - although there is the sun, but stuck behind a bar for 18 hours you won't see much of it.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

“We predict a stagnation in the British market, a considerable increase in the German one, a rise of between five and 10 per cent in the Scandinavian market and an increase of 30 per cent in the number of Russian visitors”, he said.
OK, there's a challenge for an enterprising bar owner!
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
oh dear, the local employment agencies will be advertising for Russian speaking bar staff
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:11 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not so sure that Russian tourists seek out Russian bars on holiday! When I worked in Madrid (this was at the height of the building boom) there were eastern Europeans and Russians working on sites (don't ask me how they got the papers - maybe they were on the black) and they didn't find a problem getting a beer or 4 in a Spanish bar. tbh they rarely seemed a sociable lot, although I never saw them actually cause any trouble.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:11 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Attract the Russians? most owners put them nearly as low down on the "desired customer" rating as the Gitanos.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:26 pm
Just Joined

Shoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to allShoptilludrop is a name known to all

Speaking from experience it is a bad time to open a bar or similar establishment on the CDS. I was in Fuengirola a few weeks ago on a gorgeous sunday afternoon and it was like a ghost town with many bars and cafes closed down which is very sad. Maybe it is a different story in Marbella but I think you should weigh up the pros and cons before considering your move. As for rental property there are an abundance of properties considerably reduced so you should have no problem in finding long term rental accommodation. Good luck.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:33 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Every year in marbella there are lots of bars etc. opening for the summer season and then most of them disappear by end of September, even in boom times. Every year the hoteliers and tourism officers say the figures are up but somehow manage to have converted into a loss by the end of the year. Every year the property agents claim to have sold more houses..Not that they are trying to talk up the market of course
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:43 pm

out here in the olives one of our favourite bars that was open from 1300 every day went over to Verano hours middle of last month, now only opens at 2000 Wed to Sun.

Meanwhile a bar/club that hasnt been open since we moved here in November is now open Friday, Sat & Sun from 2000.

And the local Town Hall is sponsering a couple of free film nights in the park's auditorium whilst the bar in the park is now open from 6pm every night until 1 or 2 dependent on who is still up. Saturdays semi-live dance music, last weekend it was Grab a Granny night - whatever that is in Spanish.
Just wish they would spend the money cleaning up around the rubbish bins.

Remind me not to get a place opposite the park, not on the main road to the olive processing plant, not near the bus stop.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 4:48 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
out here in the olives one of our favourite bars that was open from 1300 every day went over to Verano hours middle of last month, now only opens at 2000 Wed to Sun.

Meanwhile a bar/club that hasnt been open since we moved here in November is now open Friday, Sat & Sun from 2000.

And the local Town Hall is sponsering a couple of free film nights in the park's auditorium whilst the bar in the park is now open from 6pm every night until 1 or 2 dependent on who is still up. Saturdays semi-live dance music, last weekend it was Grab a Granny night - whatever that is in Spanish.
Just wish they would spend the money cleaning up around the rubbish bins.

Remind me not to get a place opposite the park, not on the main road to the olive processing plant, not near the bus stop.
El desguace.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
El desguace.
I was going to ask you but thought you would prefer to show your knowledge in the open
Thanks
Old Jul 17th 2012, 4:15 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Domino
I was going to ask you but thought you would prefer to show your knowledge in the open
Thanks
It makes a change from the usual "metaduras de pata" of mine