British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   I Need help finding work (Estepona) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/i-need-help-finding-work-estepona-871729/)

Louie_Gray Feb 2nd 2016 11:27 am

I Need help finding work (Estepona)

This is just a quick question that i wanted to ask some of the more experienced people inhabiting this website.

What is the best way to get a job that i wont need Spanish speaking skills or real prior work experience?

Here is a little bit about me and what i have tried.

I have recently moved to Estepona from living in the UK I'm 18 and have almost no prior work experience or Spanish language experience and can't drive so I'm stuck for traveling huge distances and I like to work with computers and did a 2 year course in I.T back in the UK. (Not a lot going for me i know)

I'm not looking for anything big like a job that i will be doing for the rest of my life at the moment just something that i can do to provide some income for me and my family like a Dishwasher or Glass collector.

Things I have done while looking for a job include, going around Estepona port and beachfront asking in any of the bars for any kind of work that I can do for them, but most have said (if they spoke any English that is)that they do not need anyone (as it is early in the year and the tourists don't come till later on). I also spent a few days catching the bus to La Lina and walking to Gibraltar to see if any of those bars or restaurants where looking to take someone on, but that didn't end any better.

I have been looking in the Sur in English for any job opportunities there and did come across a Telesales job in Marbella that i did for a week sadly they let me go after that because i wasn't hitting the targets they wanted.

I guess the real question is where would you guys look if you where in the same situation or if you know of any recruitment agencies that deal with English Expats that I could go to?

Thank you for reading my post and I hope that you can help me.

Rosemary Feb 2nd 2016 12:21 pm

Re: I Need help finding work (Estepona)

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

cricketman Feb 2nd 2016 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Louie_Gray (Post 11856029)
This is just a quick question that i wanted to ask some of the more experienced people inhabiting this website.

What is the best way to get a job that i wont need Spanish speaking skills or real prior work experience?

Here is a little bit about me and what i have tried.

I have recently moved to Estepona from living in the UK I'm 18 and have almost no prior work experience or Spanish language experience and can't drive so I'm stuck for traveling huge distances and I like to work with computers and did a 2 year course in I.T back in the UK. (Not a lot going for me i know)

I'm not looking for anything big like a job that i will be doing for the rest of my life at the moment just something that i can do to provide some income for me and my family like a Dishwasher or Glass collector.

Things I have done while looking for a job include, going around Estepona port and beachfront asking in any of the bars for any kind of work that I can do for them, but most have said (if they spoke any English that is)that they do not need anyone (as it is early in the year and the tourists don't come till later on). I also spent a few days catching the bus to La Lina and walking to Gibraltar to see if any of those bars or restaurants where looking to take someone on, but that didn't end any better.

I have been looking in the Sur in English for any job opportunities there and did come across a Telesales job in Marbella that i did for a week sadly they let me go after that because i wasn't hitting the targets they wanted.

I guess the real question is where would you guys look if you where in the same situation or if you know of any recruitment agencies that deal with English Expats that I could go to?

Thank you for reading my post and I hope that you can help me.

If I were you, I would do one of two things:

1. Learn Spanish and get some relevant Spanish qualifications
2. Or go back to the UK and get some qualifications there

Doing crappy jobs for 20 euros per evening is not much fun, nor is it much of a future

Moses2013 Feb 2nd 2016 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Louie_Gray (Post 11856029)
This is just a quick question that i wanted to ask some of the more experienced people inhabiting this website. What is the best way to get a job that i wont need Spanish speaking skills or real prior work experience? Here is a little bit about me and what i have tried. I have recently moved to Estepona from living in the UK I'm 18 and have almost no prior work experience or Spanish language experience and can't drive so I'm stuck for traveling huge distances and I like to work with computers and did a 2 year course in I.T back in the UK. (Not a lot going for me i know) I'm not looking for anything big like a job that i will be doing for the rest of my life at the moment just something that i can do to provide some income for me and my family like a Dishwasher or Glass collector. Things I have done while looking for a job include, going around Estepona port and beachfront asking in any of the bars for any kind of work that I can do for them, but most have said (if they spoke any English that is)that they do not need anyone (as it is early in the year and the tourists don't come till later on). I also spent a few days catching the bus to La Lina and walking to Gibraltar to see if any of those bars or restaurants where looking to take someone on, but that didn't end any better. I have been looking in the Sur in English for any job opportunities there and did come across a Telesales job in Marbella that i did for a week sadly they let me go after that because i wasn't hitting the targets they wanted. I guess the real question is where would you guys look if you where in the same situation or if you know of any recruitment agencies that deal with English Expats that I could go to? Thank you for reading my post and I hope that you can help me.

As cman mentioned, get qualifications and it will pay off. You are still young enough to learn anything and if you've already done an IT course, focus on that. How come Estepona?

Louie_Gray Feb 2nd 2016 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 11856075)
As cman mentioned, get qualifications and it will pay off. You are still young enough to learn anything and if you've already done an IT course, focus on that. How come Estepona?

I Moved here with my family is the biggest reason. Personal I would have preferred to stay in the UK but I also didn't want to leave my two younger brothers so i thought i would give it a go, New experiences and all that

jimenato Feb 2nd 2016 3:18 pm

I you really want casual work you can't do much more than you are doing now - trudge from bar to bar hoping for a break - also hang around the expat bars (I don't know how many of these there are these days) you might find someone who wants some cleaning or gardening done.

I wouldn't have thought there were any employment agencies.

You could also go to ADANA the dog charity's perrera and help there - no money in it but you might make some contacts.

It ain't going to be easy to find work.

chrisjolly Feb 2nd 2016 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Louie_Gray (Post 11856178)
I Moved here with my family is the biggest reason. Personal I would have preferred to stay in the UK but I also didn't want to leave my two younger brothers so i thought i would give it a go, New experiences and all that

Great to try new experiences but living and working here in Spain Estepona or any where else for that matter is very difficult. Keep walking the streets and keep trying the bars until someone gives in. Dont just try once. You have to keep making a pest of yourself and even offer to work for nothing to get a foot in the door. Good luck

Bigmomma1 Feb 2nd 2016 6:20 pm

If you were willing to go to Gibraltar then try something closer to home. Twenty minutes South of Estepona is the Marina at Purta Duquesa, lots of British owned Cafes/Bars and some of the staff there are young English people. Can't guarantee any of them need new staff but got to be worth a try.

As for Spanish, download the 'free' App 'Duo Lingo' which is very good. In Estepona go to the Tourist Information Office and ask them about the 'free' language courses which are run for the ex-pat community in the area.

Hope this helps.

jimenato Feb 2nd 2016 6:49 pm

Agree with the last two posts.

Also try in the other direction at Benavista - loads of Brit bars/restaurants up that way.

iano Feb 2nd 2016 7:55 pm

Louie, you say you haven't a lot going for you, but I'd disagree.

At 18, finding yourself in an alien environment and being prepared to bang on doors asking for work takes cojones, you're also articulate.

As others have said, there's little more you can do to secure more menial work, just keep persevering, keep talking to people and banging on those doors, don't give up and it'll happen.

Longer term, you're at a good age to learn Spanish so apply yourself. Not only will it help your life in Spain immensely, but it'll be something of value to have on your CV throughout the rest of your working life, wherever you end up and whatever you do.

You have a background and an aptitude for IT related work so look at online professional IT training; web developer, programmer or somesuch. Enables you to work online remotely, from anywhere in the world, you just need those quals and some experience to kickstart things.

Best of luck, and don't give up !

Mina_Alicante Feb 3rd 2016 7:12 am

I have a Spanish friend who has a 3 year old girl and she pays an English girl to come about 2 hours a week to play with her girl and talk to her only in English. I know this might not be your thing, that you probably have no experience working with kids... but if you have younger brothers doing something like this would not be hard for you and there is some demand for this kind of job.

Of course it does just provide some cash and not a salary, but it would be something. Not ideal, but just as an idea I just thought I'd mention there are Spanish people who are willing to pay some cash for one-to-one conversation with English native speakers.

I agree with the colleague above, though. Keep working on your qualifications. Look at the options that you have around there. And best of luck. I'm sure good things are waiting for you!