Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I just want a cup of tea.

I just want a cup of tea.

Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:32 am
Just Joined

RyanChapa is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy I just want a cup of tea.

Hello everyone! So having spent a long time trying to hunt down a store that sells kitchen utensils, bathroom utensils and so on I have decided to give up...well almost.

I'm living in Valencia in the El Carme area and have been scouting around for an Ikea or anything to buy mugs, utensils ect. We did check out El Courte Ingles but was shocked at the prices they were charging. Does anyone know of any in this area? I really don't want to have to buy a bunch of "I <3 Valencia" mugs from the local gift shop.

Any help is great...I need that cup of tea!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:38 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I just want a cup of tea.

Do you have a Carrefour near to you?

Rosemary
Old Jun 8th 2012, 2:42 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

don't you have a Chinese Bazaar near you ?
they are stuffed full of such things

if not then sit back they will be opening one shortly............
Old Jun 8th 2012, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Carrefour or Alcampo! Theres one in that shopping centre across from the cultural arts centre.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RyanChapa
Hello everyone! So having spent a long time trying to hunt down a store that sells kitchen utensils, bathroom utensils and so on I have decided to give up...well almost.

I'm living in Valencia in the El Carme area and have been scouting around for an Ikea or anything to buy mugs, utensils ect. We did check out El Courte Ingles but was shocked at the prices they were charging. Does anyone know of any in this area? I really don't want to have to buy a bunch of "I <3 Valencia" mugs from the local gift shop.

Any help is great...I need that cup of tea!
Don't forget that tea & coffee taste much better from thinner, porcelain-type cups than the awful "Starbucks" type.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by retired in euzkadi
Don't forget that tea & coffee taste much better from thinner, porcelain-type cups than the awful "Starbucks" type.
I wouldn't like to think how many of those I would get through, knocking them over onto tiled floors! The china or stoneware mugs are bad enough.

Not so long ago I bought 8 new plain, dark blue mugs from one of our local Chinese bazaar shops, at 1€ each it was enough to pay considering how long they are likely to last, unless it us who are unusually clumsy!
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

There is the odd chinky shop near you.Search up the lanes and I think there is one by the central market.Good luck. I could not not go without my mug of tea.
Old Jun 8th 2012, 6:51 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

We find the markets have stalls selling all kinds of kitchen ware. There is at least one every day of the week nearby and I feel sure there will be many in Valencia?

Is there a todo todo in Valencia?

El Cortes Ingles is unashamedly aimed at high end, but most stores have a cut price supermarket attached or close by (Hypercor or Supercor) where you can buy everyday kitchen essentials at realistic prices . You can get a passable cuppa in their cafe

Last edited by missile; Jun 8th 2012 at 8:33 pm.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

I am very fussy about my mugs. They have to be large sized for the morning when I need three of these to wake up and then smaller for lunch and afternoon and evening. But I do like pretty mugs but not the porcelain ones. Tend to buy them either in Gib (BHS) or the UK. My latest addition was a Cath Kidson one all pretty and floral. But my favourite is "I will shop till I drop" a few years ago from Primark. It also has to be PG Tips, Yorkshire Tea or Tetley with (in Spain) bottled Nestle water it is the only one that has no tang and doesn´t fur the kettle at all.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir

bottled Nestle water it is the only one that has no tang and doesn´t fur the kettle at all.
AFAIK Nestle sells filtered tap water............. Google Nestle sells Framingham filtered tap water as an example.

We alternate between Volvic, Evian and Bezoy and have never had a furry kettle.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
AFAIK Nestle sells filtered tap water............. Google Nestle sells Framingham filtered tap water as an example.

We alternate between Volvic, Evian and Bezoy and have never had a furry kettle.
Surely it doesn´t come all the way from the States? We have tried other waters but unfortunately, as I have no liking for the brand, it is the only one that seems to work.
Old Jun 9th 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
Surely it doesn´t come all the way from the States? We have tried other waters but unfortunately, as I have no liking for the brand, it is the only one that seems to work.

No..they just use the same system of filtering tap water in whatever country they are selling.

Doctors recommend that people vary their water intake as some have too much of certain minerals and some dont have enough and both can be problematical.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

I am leaf tea (Yorkshire) cup and saucer boy, no time for mugs or tea bags. The tea doesn't taste the same. As for UHT milk. Aaargh!
I know this makes me sound very old fashioned. I find most bottled water is fine.
Never have tea at cafe/bars.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:16 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Britax filter jug works for me.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 1:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

If you had trouble finding anything for the kitchen there is always the option of shopping on Amazon UK, there are no delivery charges on orders of £25 and over, I use them often.