Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I dont believe it

I dont believe it

Old Apr 17th 2010, 4:57 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I dont believe it

Originally Posted by JLFS
I feel that only citizens living in the úk should have a right to vote in elections.
I dont think it is right for a preson who has moved on to pastures new, has a say in how the folks left behind should live.

If you move back there, then you get the vote again.
I admit you have a strong argument there. But of course there are always exceptions. What about a soldier who's served the last two years overseas? Or the pensioner who's worked all their life in the UK and now has retired to Valencia - should they be denied the vote, and a spotty teenager who doesn't work have the vote? Tough to decide either way.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:07 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I admit you have a strong argument there. But of course there are always exceptions. What about a soldier who's served the last two years overseas? Or the pensioner who's worked all their life in the UK and now has retired to Valencia - should they be denied the vote, and a spotty teenager who doesn't work have the vote? Tough to decide either way.
The soldier should get the vot, he is being paid by the British government and is usually on a tempory posting.

The pensioner who has paid taxes all his life and now living in valencia, should not get the vote, they have kleft for pastures new and should not have a say on how pensioners and families in the uk should be ruled.

the teenage who has never worked, (with or without zits), should get the vote if he is of age. (that is the law of the land.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:17 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

the teenage who has never worked, (with or without zits), should get the vote if he is of age. (that is the law of the land.
Well if you're quoting the law of the land, British citizens are allowed to vote in elections (unless I believe, they are in prison). So the pensioner who's retired abroad does get the vote.

I can't see this changing tbh. Any political party that did try to change it, would lose too many votes - from Brits abroad !
Old Apr 17th 2010, 5:22 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Well if you're quoting the law of the land, British citizens are allowed to vote in elections (unless I believe, they are in prison). So the pensioner who's retired abroad does get the vote.

I can't see this changing tbh. Any political party that did try to change it, would lose too many votes - from Brits abroad !
I know it is the law of the land that the pensioner gets the vote.

IMO it is wrong that people living abroad, should decide who runs their EX country.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:18 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I know it is the law of the land that the pensioner gets the vote.

IMO it is wrong that people living abroad, should decide who runs their EX country.
It concerns our pension on what happens in the UK, so we should still have a vote, although I would swop for a Spanish one.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
It concerns our pension on what happens in the UK, so we should still have a vote, although I would swop for a Spanish one.
it still concerns pensioners, but not as much as the pensioners that are still living in the UK, and it would be a lot better if the British living in Spain had a Spanish vote,
Old Apr 17th 2010, 6:39 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Do you vote for your own personel interests or for the best interests of the country as a whole?
Something I often wonder about voters in general.
What percentage make,..." Whats in it for me",..their priority?
What percentage look to the long term prospects of the country first and foremost?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:06 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Do you vote for your own personel interests or for the best interests of the country as a whole?
Something I often wonder about voters in general.
What percentage make,..." Whats in it for me",..their priority?
What percentage look to the long term prospects of the country first and foremost?
I think that most people vote for what applies to their personal circumstances.

Parents would probably vote for the ones that they think their children would get a better eduction under.

Older folk may go for the better care for the elderly, it is understandable, thats how folks would vote.

The problem with voting for a country that you no longer live in, limits the things that people take into consideration when voting.

For example a pensioner living in the UK might be more persuaded by promises of better free care in their own home, than a rise in pension, whereas an person living in another country would more than likely vote for more money.

I am just giving an example of a possibility of what could happen.

At least the people in the UK should consider more options, when voting
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:12 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I think that most people vote for what applies to their personal circumstances.

Parents would probably vote for the ones that they think their children would get a better eduction under.

Older folk may go for the better care for the elderly, it is understandable, thats how folks would vote.

The problem with voting for a country that you no longer live in, limits the things that people take into consideration when voting.

For example a pensioner living in the UK might be more persuaded by promises of better free care in their own home, than a rise in pension, whereas an person living in another country would more than likely vote for more money.

I am just giving an example of a possibility of what could happen.

At least the people in the UK should consider more options, when voting
Sorry probably didn't make myself clear.
When I said voters in general I was referring mainly to voters in the UK.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:16 am
Banned

Sorry probably didn't make myself clear.
When I said voters in general I was referring mainly to voters in the UK.
In answer to you question, I do think most voters, choose the party that suits their needs at any given time in their life.

It is human nature after all to look out for your own family first.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:27 am
On the road again.

In answer to you question, I do think most voters, choose the party that suits their needs at any given time in their life.

It is human nature after all to look out for your own family first.
So most vote for the govt that hands out most goodies,cuts taxes etc and they benefit in the short term,....but when the economy inevitably goes down the pan because of this, they still suffer the same pain as everyone else, because they voted the wrong way.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 7:39 am
Banned

So most vote for the govt that hands out most goodies,cuts taxes etc and they benefit in the short term,....but when the economy inevitably goes down the pan because of this, they still suffer the same pain as everyone else, because they voted the wrong way.
Yes, I think that is it.

That is why Godrdon Brown is so generous with the "never worked in their life, and have loads of kids brigade, because he knows that they will vote for the party that will be most generours to them.

Also that is why a well heeled business man will usually vote Tory because they have promised not to "tax jobs"

If the tories have to cut the education budget it would not greatly affect them because their children go private.

I think it is "horses for courses".
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:26 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

If the tories have to cut the education budget it would not greatly affect them because their children go private.

Camerons daughter is enrolled in a state school
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:34 am
Banned

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Camerons daughter is enrolled in a state school
Thing is though if the school was a on a sink estate, and the standard really low, she would be pulled out of their sharpish and sent to a private one.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 8:37 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Thing is though if the school was a on a sink estate, and the standard really low, she would be pulled out of their sharpish and sent to a private one.
... as any parent would do.

While we are about privilege who do you think attended school here?
Attached Thumbnails I dont believe it-fettes_college-_edinburgh.jpg  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.