Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I dont believe it

I dont believe it

Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:04 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I dont believe it

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I'm not so sure that the election result will change the value of the pound in the long run. I remember the early 80s when the stock exchange used to surge whenever the Tories won an election, but then slumped again a few weeks later when it became apparent the economy was still struggling.

Edit: the next government (even if it's Conservative) may try to keep the pound at a low level to help the economy. All those tourists flying over (volcanoes permitting) to shop in London may stop doing so if the exchange rate suddenly changes
The point I was trying to make, was that some voters who live outside the UK have the right to decide on who governs the UK, a country that they have left behind.

I am quite sure that these 3 are not the only examples of Brits, who would vote against all their principles, bacause they can ·gain" in some way, and not care about their countrymen back in the UK.

From what I can gather these were high earners and stauch Tory voters, when they lived in the UK.
And probably would still vote Tory if they still lived there.

It seems such a shame to me that they are willing to sell their soul for money.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:11 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
The point I was trying to make, was that some voters who live outside the UK have the right to decide on who governs the UK, a country that they have left behind.

I am quite sure that these 3 are not the only examples of Brits, who would vote against all their principles, bacause they can ·gain" in some way, and not care about their countrymen back in the UK.

From what I can gather these were high earners and stauch Tory voters, when they lived in the UK.
And probably would still vote Tory if they still lived there.

It seems such a shame to me that they are willing to sell their soul for money.
Well you have a point, but if people have British citizenship, and have paid taxes there (even if no longer) then they have the right to vote. To a certain extent I think most people vote according to whether they think they, and their families, are going to be better off, or not.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:21 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they should only allow people who pay taxes to have a vote...what do you think
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:29 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Well you have a point, but if people have British citizenship, and have paid taxes there (even if no longer) then they have the right to vote. To a certain extent I think most people vote according to whether they think they, and their families, are going to be better off, or not.
I Understand the british citizens have the right to vote even if they no longer live there.

But to me is seems a tragedy, that a Brit living abroad would vote for a party that they think is bad for the country on the whole, but because they can get some financial gain, they adopt the "-I am alright Jack" attitude.

People can do the wrong things for the right reason, but this is doing the worng thing for the wrong reason, a world of difference.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:32 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Maybe they should only allow people who pay taxes to have a vote...what do you think
Everyone in the country pays taxes - every time they buy something in the shops, have a beer in a pub, or put petrol in the car.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:34 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm... do you mean income tax or all taxes? Everybody in the UK pays VAT for example which would mean that even tourists could vote. Even income tax becomes payable at 16 so the voting age would have to be lowered. Some expats pay tax and some don't. Some do a tax form but don't pay tax. It might get complicated methinks....
Old Apr 17th 2010, 1:53 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Talking about the exchange rate again, I can’t remember exactly why it fell from 1.50 to 1.10 against the pound. On that basis, and it was at 1.50 for many years, why hasn’t it gone up again?
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:00 am
Banned

Everyone in the country pays taxes - every time they buy something in the shops, have a beer in a pub, or put petrol in the car.
I think you have missed the point Jackytoo was making,

Of course everybody who spends a penny in the UK pays tax, Like peole do all over the world, in America if I buy something I pay the equivalent of their VAT, but I would not dream of suggesing that I should be entitled to vote there.

It is just splitting hairs, we all know what the post meant, or should know...
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:10 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Of course everybody who spends a penny in the UK pays tax, Like peole do all over the world, in America if I buy something I pay the equivalent of their VAT, but I would not dream of suggesing that I should be entitled to vote there.

I pay all sorts of taxes in Spain, wealth, suma, car tax, Vado, and I have a local vote which I’ve used.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
I pay all sorts of taxes in Spain, wealth, suma, car tax, Vado, and I have a local vote which I’ve used.

It makes sense to have a vote in the country that you live, because that vote ccan affect the way you live, voting in a country you no longer inhabit affect the lives of others.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:26 am
Not Banned (yet)

Tell us then, the point Jackytoo is making, if it's not restricting the vote to someone who "pays taxes"? Seemed fairly straightforward to me, but I accept I'm missing something here.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:30 am
Banned

Tell us then, the point Jackytoo is making, if it's not restricting the vote to someone who "pays taxes"? Seemed fairly straightforward to me, but I accept I'm missing something here.
As I read the post, I think it meant paying taxes as a resident would, not payin the extra taxes that even tourists or "guests" pay ie VAT.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:53 am
Not Banned (yet)

Well I still think that having the vote in national elections, should be restricted to citizens of that country. If your allegiance to a country doesn't stretch to taking up citizenship, you shouldn't be entitled to vote for their government. In the opposite case, where someone is out of the country, it does get a little hazier. There again they are still bound to their country, and I assume that they (for example) would have to fight for their country if there was conscription in war-time, so yes they should keep the right to vote. I admit I'm not 100% convinced of this however, but I don't see a better way. How do you monitor if someone's made enough contribution to vote? That Ashcroft fella (chairman of the Conservatives) doesn't pay any UK taxes, but I don't see why his vote should be taken away from him, unless he did something that harmed Britain.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 2:58 am
Banned

Well I still think that having the vote in national elections, should be restricted to citizens of that country. If your allegiance to a country doesn't stretch to taking up citizenship, you shouldn't be entitled to vote for their government. In the opposite case, where someone is out of the country, it does get a little hazier. There again they are still bound to their country, and I assume that they (for example) would have to fight for their country if there was conscription in war-time, so yes they should keep the right to vote. I admit I'm not 100% convinced of this however, but I don't see a better way. How do you monitor if someone's made enough contribution to vote? That Ashcroft fella (chairman of the Conservatives) doesn't pay any UK taxes, but I don't see why his vote should be taken away from him, unless he did something that harmed Britain.

I feel that only citizens living in the úk should have a right to vote in elections.
I dont think it is right for a preson who has moved on to pastures new, has a say in how the folks left behind should live.

If you move back there, then you get the vote again.
Old Apr 17th 2010, 3:19 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

I feel that only citizens living in the úk should have a right to vote in elections.
I dont think it is right for a preson who has moved on to pastures new, has a say in how the folks left behind should live.

If you move back there, then you get the vote again.
Completely agree on this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.