Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I bid you farewell! xx

I bid you farewell! xx

Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:41 pm

glad 2 b back is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I bid you farewell! xx

I’ve decided to leave this forum.
I could have just stopped posting but thought that may be rude to some of the friends I’ve made on here. This isn’t one of those attention-seeking posts, where I pretend to leave and then hope that everyone will beg me to stay. As I know that will not happen, most on here will probably say good riddance or worse.
There are a few reasons I want to leave even though out of all the forums I have been a member of this one is my favourite.

The first is the annoyance of some members who seem to try and make it their mission to wind me up. Disagree with everything I write no matter what, if I say the sky is blue it will definitely be black. Why? One reason because I don’t like Spain and have opinions about it, the other cos a cyber mate said I was a b!tch and there you go that’s reason enough. I find it annoying how there are some rules for some members and other rules for other, e.g. some people get banned for writing offensive posts, and others just have their posts deleted.

Another reason is the difficulty I have not replying to some of the threads on here and giving my personal opinion (the reason because of the abuse and slating I will get if I do). Recently there have been posts about removing kids from grammar school and sending them to school in Spain, how absurd! Whether or not your child attends an international school or not they will never receive the same standard of education as they would in England. Even the worst comp in England would still be a 100% better than a state school in Spain, so whoever said that the education system in Spain was ‘far superior’ than that in England really needs to research more.

As for the private schools, just because you pay for something does not automatically mean that it is better quality. I know plenty of people who sent there children to these international schools and are extremely disappointed with the progress of their children. I thing there is a better chance of the world being an oyster if the children do their gcse’s and receive all a’s like those on the telly yesterday, go on to do a level’s and then uni, than going to some 2 bit school in Spain. You see if I write this then it won’t be received well so that’s why I’m bowing out and am no longer going to interfere, as people have to make their own decisions and then live by them. But the urge to reply is too much that’s why I need my account deleting.

I wrote to the bbc not a planned letter so not written grammatically correct this is what I wrote:

Hello

I got your e-mail from a website I visit aimed at ex-pats, they said that you were looking to interview people who are leaving the UK for a so-called better life in the sun.

I think it would be a good idea if you broadcast a piece about people returning as just as many people move back to the UK after things have not turned out as they hoped for in their adopted countries.
The media is always running down this country and television shows that encourage moving abroad should be banned. The likes of a 'place in the sun' and 'get a new life' or one of my favourites 'living in the sun'. What a disgrace they don't show all the pitfalls of moving to Spain.

The thousands of Brits who have lost virtually all their live savings because they have been ripped off by scumbag estate agents. Those who get stuck out there because they are sold worthless pieces of land, or houses. Like me for instance who was sold a piece of land that was illegal. Not only were the Estate agents aware but so was our lawyer and the Notary who was supposed to protect our interests. They were all corrupt, now I'm living in England struggling to get on the property ladder with an empty house left in Spain. I'm not the only one all of our neighbours were in the same boat, except they are too old to start again and are stuck out there.

What about all the racism and corrupt officials, such as councillors, the police force who enjoy taking back handers and giving them, but a different variety. What about the crime that doesn't get reported, all the rapes that happen to British girls every summer.

I could go on forever but haven't the time but I won't go without commenting on the appalling school system, how they are 30 years behind us. The bullying that goes on my daughter lived in fear every day because of racist taunts she received on a daily basis. The beatings she got whilst the teachers stood by and watched but wouldn't intervene, as she was only the 'foreign child'.

For every person that moves out there’s at least one that comes back, ask the removal firms they'll back that up.
Hopefully you could find some real stories from people who have been there done it and come back as at the end of the day the UK is by far a superior place to live.

Yours an angry ex-ex-pat!

They replied and asked me to do an interview but I declined, as I have no interest in going on TV whatsoever.

Everyone here knows how I feel about families moving to Spain and it is purely because of our own personal experiences and that of plenty of others that I know. Not because I’m ‘bitter or twisted’.

I found this article about retiring to Spain, which may be of interest.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6165955.stm

Anyway good luck to those of you who are moving and thanks to all my new friends for your support over the last year, and all the pm’s and karma. It is really appreciated, you know who are xxxx

Also will those of you who are contemplating moving with families look into it more and not go on ‘what your mate said’ look up stories on the internet, and don’t just think ‘that won’t happen to us’.

Lots of love Glad XX

Admin can you delete my account now please? As this sadly is no longer the place for me to hang out.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 1:50 pm
Drunken Monkey

Fuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzlepop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I bid you farewell! xx

How about a week ban to see if you change your mind?
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Hi,

Shame to see you go. We disagreed a few times but it was refreshing to read your posts. Honest and sound advice, you will be missed
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:39 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fuzzlepop
How about a week ban to see if you change your mind?
she won't see any of the posts here as her account has been deleted according to her profile.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but that post has really wound me up! And I cannot even respond to it, especially the schools bit as it's unlikely that she will read it!
Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but if this thread stays on the forum, it is likely to cloud the judgement of many before they even give Spain a chance.
So many on here say that moving to Spain is the best thing that they have ever done, It certainly has been for me and my young family. Granted, you have to keep your eyes open, and, on occasion, tread carefully, especially with the red tape and property purchase. but as long as you don't leave your brain behind in the UK,, ask the right questions of everyone, trust nobody's word, all of which really is just common sense, then it's fine.
My flabber is totally ghasted!
Tim
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:02 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
she won't see any of the posts here as her account has been deleted according to her profile.
She can read the posts as an anonymous guest, regardless of whether her account has been deleted. The only thing she can't do is reply, unless she re-registers.

Glad 2 be back, if you are reading this, I would like firstly to say that I'm sorry to see you leave. I've always liked a bit of diversity. It's so boring when everyone agrees on everything. It's what makes life interesting and special.

Regarding your views on Spain, I do respect them regardless of whether I agree with them or not. Nothing is black and white anywhere in the world. To say that everything in Spain is horrible and everything in the UK is wonderful, must be the understatement of the century. You have had some very bad experiences here in Spain (from reading some of your posts) and I'm truly sorry that you went through what you did, but nothing I, nor anyone else says, can change what you went through.

I sincerely hope you are able to sell your Spanish property and would like to wish you and your family all the very best in your life back in the UK.

Martha
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

SoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud ofSoJohn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by valenciatim
I hate to say it, but that post has really wound me up! And I cannot even respond to it, especially the schools bit as it's unlikely that she will read it!
Everybody is entitled to an opinion, but if this thread stays on the forum, it is likely to cloud the judgement of many before they even give Spain a chance.
So many on here say that moving to Spain is the best thing that they have ever done, It certainly has been for me and my young family. Granted, you have to keep your eyes open, and, on occasion, tread carefully, especially with the red tape and property purchase. but as long as you don't leave your brain behind in the UK,, ask the right questions of everyone, trust nobody's word, all of which really is just common sense, then it's fine.
My flabber is totally ghasted!
Tim
Oh I dunno, I think it's quite good to have a different opinion. If someones negative post is true to them, that can only be a good thing. It allows people to read all the positive and negative and come to their own conclusions. Removing a post, because you don't agree with it, totally undermines the concept of a forum.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

I am so sorry that you feel this way although I totally understand where you are coming from. I also noted that your last few posts were slated and in my opinion totally unnecessary. Every day I decide not to look at this site or post anything but my willpower at the moment is certainly not as strong as yours. With every good wish for the future.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

valenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond reputevalenciatim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SoJohn
Oh I dunno, I think it's quite good to have a different opinion. If someones negative post is true to them, that can only be a good thing. It allows people to read all the positive and negative and come to their own conclusions. Removing a post, because you don't agree with it, totally undermines the concept of a forum.
I think you are missing the point. I believe that one of the reasons that Glad2beback had so many problems was because the property that they bought was totally illegal. When you do your research, this is a topic that comes up a lot. Granted, it should not be allowed to happen at all, but it does. If you use common sense, employ an independent lawyer, ask the right questions, that sort of thing, it can be avoided. May be the language is an issue, so you pay someone €10 or €15 an hour to translate everything. It's not rocket science, and at the end of the day, it's nobody else's fault.
As for the schooling issue, one of our main reasons for leaving the UK was that we didn't want our children to go through the state system, a view bourne out by the type of person that the schools were producing. You just have to look at the news everyday in the UK to see that, surely. The education system here is, I believe, based on the English system as it was years ago, but tweaked somewhat. The kids that come out at the other end, are so very different from those educated in England. We don't have to put up with mob rule, or gang violence, or muggings, or a gun culture! It's unheard of in these parts. That has to be a result of the schooling and parenting, the kids here have respect for their elders, their parents and their surroundings. I really don't think that that is the case in the UK anymore.
Glad2bback is entitled to her opinion, she is also welcome to the UK!
Rant over
Tim
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I believe she actually moved when the property scams weren't as well known though, in her defence.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 3:36 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

One refreshing thing we have noticed is the behaviour of the youngsters here. They all seem well behaved and polite - well they are around here anyway! Also our local vets has the door open, no receptionist she sits in with the vet, in the waiting room are bags and boxes of pet food. How long do you think they would be there in England! There are pictures on the walls outside some of the houses - they are not vandalised (although there is graffitti around, I have to admit, and I don't like that. Houses , however, are left untouched.

Friends of ours have been here since October and their children (4 boys) are getting along great at the local school. The teachers are friendly and helpful and the boys all speak fluent Spanish already!

I think glad 2 b back that although you have had a bad experience, and I do feel for you and your little girl, I really do, you cannot tar the whole of Spain with the same brush.

I am glad that you are happy with your life now you have returned to England, also I am happy for your little girl, she deserves a happy life after what she has been through. I wish you all the best in life.
Old Aug 24th 2007, 4:59 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As always, for any new members thinking of coming to Spain I have to say keep an open mind and get a balanced view by reading all the threads here. Clearly the OP views expressed on this thread are from her point of view, and clearly things didn't go well for her in Spain whilst she was here for one reason or another, and she has made clear her grievences. Thankfully her experiences are not those of all of us and you will find plenty of posts on here to contradict what she said. Balanced view .... thats important!

As for the site comments, well, a lot of people didn't agree with her on certain points. Trouble is we all have people disagree with us on certain points and there aint much point in getting your arse in your hands and chucking out the dummy. Accept it .... this is a public forum and people dont always agree. Argue the point or dont bother, the choice is yours

Although I could say a lot more, I decline to as shes not here to answer the arguement and it wouldn't be fair.

For the forum .... well ........ I'm a member of a lot of forums. I don't post on all of them, I don't get time. However I see the way they are run, and how busy they are. I have no axe to grind either way, but I have to tell you that this is by far the best general forum site that I have come accross. I'd just like to ask people not to get peed off with some of the stuff they see here if they dont agree with it. Sometimes theres more to it than meets the eye .... sometimes people just let off steam ... but in all cases we've got a good bunch of people here and a good spread of subjects from humour to the most serious.

Do not get put off just because sometimes you see people disagreeing ... its human nature

I'll probably close this later on as I can't really see it going anywhere. If it wasn't an attention seeking post then it was a good effort at it, but as shes chosen not to be here to discuss it with its not going to reach any conclusion

Rant over
Thank you
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:28 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Hi glad2beback

Sorry you have decided to leave the forum, you were always one of the names I looked out for when logging in.

You unfortunately was one of life's casualties when it come to moving and living in Spain and I truly hope you have done the right thing by moving back to the UK, you can only follow your feelings and from your recent postings you sound very happy and for that I am thankful.

There are many peeps here in Spain (not only Spain) that through no fault of their own they have bought illegal property with or without electricity and my heart goes out to them all. I know people will say "research, research, research but back when you bought these issues were not something that were commonly known they have really come to light in the last couple of years as more and more foreigners are buying into certain areas of Spain where it was common practice for the Spanish people to live happily in these houses. I don't think that some of the people buying now appreciate the lies and deceit that was (and still is in some areas) rampant in some smaller towns and villages and as you rightly said even solicitors and notary's were no exception let alone builders and estate agents.

Anyway glad2beback all what I'm really saying in my long winded way I wish you and your family every happiness in your new life back in the UK, sending my regards and good thoughts to you
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Just before Mitzy closes the post I would like my ten centimes worth!

As other posters have said I think Glad has had a bad experience and I feel empathy for her and her family.

Being decieved is an awful experience and we are all still on that learning curve. Believe me I speak from experience here. It happened to me through a business decision/investment we made to set up in Spain but we have to live in learn. The less than open/honest person was a so called long standing 'friend' of over 25 years. But hey... lets move on, what goes around comes around.

What I can't get about Glad's posts, pre and on departure was why post at all, feeling in that sort of mind set! Surely best practice would be just to put it down to experience and get on with your new life!

We all had different reasons to move out to Spain and we all have different reasons when/if we ever decide to move back to UK.

I hope that now she has had her 'grand finale' post on BE she can get on with 'stuff'!
Old Aug 24th 2007, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

My apologies if anyone thinks that I was out of line.

Mods, please feel free to delete my comments if you see fit.
Regards
Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.