Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

I.B.I. (Rates) rise

I.B.I. (Rates) rise

Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I.B.I. (Rates) rise

Originally Posted by britishbull
Suspect that the Germans do find it distasteful to have people able to lounge around in the sun and live on next to nothing (which if you owned a property with low IBI and ate plenty of cheap local food you could probably get away with in the past) rather than working sixty hour weeks in a factory and paying heaps of tax for Euroland until you keel over at seventy.
Pretty much

One also has to remember that not everyone in Germany gets paid well. Merkel has reduced unemployment by paying people 500 euros per month for mini-jobs. Hardly increasing the quality of life of the German people

In fact, on the excellent Salvados programme they interviewed Spaniards who moved to Germany to look for graduate work but ended up working in bars. They said they were much better off in Spain because the wages are higher and the quality of life better. It is only those in Germany who have great jobs who are better off

Similar to someone I know who's moved to the States. They lived off one 7 euro per hour job in Spain and had lots of free time. Now working 2 jobs, over 60 hours per week in the US just to pay the rent.

I have a much better life now than I did in the UK - and I actually earn a bit less, but it goes much further. And you can do loads of stuff that doesnt cost very much

The quality of life for people who have a job in Spain is envious, especially those who earn at least the average i.e 23k euros. Not so much for those on minimum wage
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:45 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

They could always retrun to Spain and get work then
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 2:59 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Pretty much

One also has to remember that not everyone in Germany gets paid well. Merkel has reduced unemployment by paying people 500 euros per month for mini-jobs. Hardly increasing the quality of life of the German people

In fact, on the excellent Salvados programme they interviewed Spaniards who moved to Germany to look for graduate work but ended up working in bars. They said they were much better off in Spain because the wages are higher and the quality of life better. It is only those in Germany who have great jobs who are better off

Similar to someone I know who's moved to the States. They lived off one 7 euro per hour job in Spain and had lots of free time. Now working 2 jobs, over 60 hours per week in the US just to pay the rent.

I have a much better life now than I did in the UK - and I actually earn a bit less, but it goes much further. And you can do loads of stuff that doesnt cost very much

The quality of life for people who have a job in Spain is envious, especially those who earn at least the average i.e 23k euros. Not so much for those on minimum wage
Right. Important thing is to have lots of free time and make as much as the government mandates you are to be paid.

As you can see in all other countries, it's nearly impossible to prosper, because without these regulations, you'll have to work 60 hours a week and get 50c per hour. That's the average pay in the US and Germany too.

That's why over 90% of the rest of the world lives in trailer parks and eats rats. And also why Germany is jealous of our high standard of living, prosperity, and easy peasy life. They can only wish to make as much as us!

OK, since we are doing so well, I say we raise the minimum wage to - what the hell - €40 per hour, and no more than 15 hours per week, or else the employer has to pay quadruple overtime. And all that should be based on a 14-month - no, 18-month year.

Oh, and you should get that much whether you're employed or not.

Oh, and free healthcare. None of this pansy-assed "co-pay" nonsense like in impoverished places like Germany,
Read my lips - F R E E!

I also think the VAT is too high. Maybe reduce it to, what, 2%? No, on second thought, just eliminate it.

And petrol is out of control. I say we set a subsidy and make it 25c per litre. Better yet, FREE!

Sounds good to me. More champagne?
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas

Sounds good to me. More champagne?
I've no idea what you are talking about

The only thing I think should be subsidised in education and health

Again, if you could read Spanish newspapers, you may have seen the concept of "German jealousy" being discussed. There were articles discussing whether it could be behind the reasons why Germany want to "punish" the Southern European countries. They go on holiday there and are immediately envious, either rightly or wrongly.

Look at Spain's debt figures, they are no worse than those of the UK or US for example. Yet the "markets" are expecting different rules for Spain

Yes Spain has nothing to help the economy in the past 15 years, especially in terms of job creation, but socially they have done a lot of things right. To just put all the blame on the "PIIGS" (I hate that term) is pure bigotry and ignores the real problem which is the banking system and the reliance on debt for growth or should I say "pseudo-growth"
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 3:35 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I've no idea what you are talking about
You took that seriously? Jeezus you really are daft.

Again, if you could read Spanish newspapers, you may have seen the concept of "German jealousy" being discussed. There were articles discussing whether it could be behind the reasons why Germany want to "punish" the Southern European countries. They go on holiday there and are immediately envious, either rightly or wrongly.
Yes, I heard there have been huge protests in Berlin demanding astronomical unemployment, higher taxes, lower benefits, more debt and better weather.

Look at Spain's debt figures, they are no worse than those of the UK or US for example. Yet the "markets" are expecting different rules for Spain
Really? Well I'll be dipped in shit. I was led to believe that racism was long gone (at least here in Spain, where everything is utopic). But no, they charge Spain more just because they're "Spanish".

Damned racist foreigners. They all should just shut up and quit trying to profit from us.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 4:42 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Calm down please.

We don't need all these personal attacks just because you don't agree with each other.

Let's get back on topic - which was IBI in case you forgot.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 1:59 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Fred James
Let's get back on topic - which was IBI in case you forgot.
Yes back on track...

How do we / who do we see for a revision as I think my IBI is too high compared to others in the area (even a few streets away with bigger plots and bigger houses). The latest bill says "Ano Ultima Revision" was 2006.
Old Aug 19th 2012, 3:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
Yes back on track...

How do we / who do we see for a revision as I think my IBI is too high compared to others in the area (even a few streets away with bigger plots and bigger houses). The latest bill says "Ano Ultima Revision" was 2006.
We were in the same position. We paid 900 euros then whilst people with similar properties were paying less than 300.

We had a surveyor (given to us by the town hall) come and measure the property and land, then had them calculate what we should be paying. Their finding was that we were actually paying a little less than we should be.

So.....

A lot of properties have not declared everything. Over the years they have extended the foot print of the property, put in a pool, outside kitchen etc. and not had the Cadastral updated.

Also, if the property has been reformed recently, then the IBI value will be more recent than others in the area which may not have been reviewed for years.

I still feel that the system is wrong but there is absolutely nothing that you can do about it until they do a complete review of all properties similar to what happened in the UK a few years ago.
Old Aug 22nd 2012, 3:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

My IBI bill is quite small as we only have a very small village house however just got the statement for this year up from 68 euro last year to 93 this, so that is near enough a 1/3. Glad we do only have the small house now.
Old Aug 23rd 2012, 9:51 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

our IBI is similar to bob's but then we don't get the services many others get.

our local mayor was deposed in the last election and the new one has brought in many changes, the park is now used instead of just cleaned daily, we have open air films at the weekends, a bar most nights until about 1am, the local bars are being encouraged to make their own arrangements with regard to entertainment - even if it is just a huge screen and Madrid playing someone.
he has replaced all the old and dangerous street furniture, the defective lights are all working.

Quite honestly people are thinking they are getting something for their money.