Reload this Page >

I am wanting to build/convert on a finca, Aragon - Spain

I am wanting to build/convert on a finca, Aragon - Spain

Old Aug 1st 2015, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

pedro33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation I am wanting to build/convert on a finca, Aragon - Spain

Hey

I have been looking to move to Spain, and I am very interested in buying a finca, in Aragon (as small plots - to build a 300m2 almacen are quite cheap) and hopefuly build on it. I have read many website pages detailing various spanish legal terms that I can get my head around, and what the processes are. However what I really would like to know is if there is anyone that has done this themselves, or has attempted it? And if so, what was your experience like?

I would be looking to work the land, have small poultry pens, solar, wind and hopefully hydro electric power. This is the plan anyway

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks
Old Aug 1st 2015, 9:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I am wanting to build/convert on a finca, Aragon - Spain

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 1st 2015, 10:15 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Check the local planning regs for building on rustic land. Here in the south, the minimum plot size you can build on is 30000m2 and even then you have to prove that you are a registered farmer paying tax on the profit from your produce.

It may be easier up north, but you must check it out very carefully.
Old Aug 3rd 2015, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

tony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura abouttony has a spectacular aura about

Good luck with your move , there are some great bargains about at the moment !!!

Tony
Old Oct 24th 2015, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

dam31rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pedro33
Hey

I have been looking to move to Spain, and I am very interested in buying a finca, in Aragon (as small plots - to build a 300m2 almacen are quite cheap) and hopefuly build on it. I have read many website pages detailing various spanish legal terms that I can get my head around, and what the processes are. However what I really would like to know is if there is anyone that has done this themselves, or has attempted it? And if so, what was your experience like?

I would be looking to work the land, have small poultry pens, solar, wind and hopefully hydro electric power. This is the plan anyway

Any advice welcome!

Many thanks
Hi,

I have a desire to do the same thing that you are describing. I have just joined and am new to the site and have been hoping to get in touch with other people who might have done this. Have you had any luck finding anyone?

Dee x
Old Oct 24th 2015, 6:20 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Further to my earlier post, I should point out that an Almacen is an agricultural building and building licences are easier to obtain than they are for a house.

The snag with building an Almacen, or any other agricultural building is that you will never be allowed to use it as a residence, just for agricultural purposes such as storing your produce. A Habitation Certificate will never be issued for such a building.

In our area, until a few years ago, it was common for estate agents to promote plots on the basis that you could build on then, but sadly they did not point out that there were limitations on what you can do with them.

Be very careful or you will end up owning what is essentially a large shed which you cannot live in.
Old Oct 24th 2015, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

dam31rr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
Further to my earlier post, I should point out that an Almacen is an agricultural building and building licences are easier to obtain than they are for a house.

The snag with building an Almacen, or any other agricultural building is that you will never be allowed to use it as a residence, just for agricultural purposes such as storing your produce. A Habitation Certificate will never be issued for such a building.

In our area, until a few years ago, it was common for estate agents to promote plots on the basis that you could build on then, but sadly they did not point out that there were limitations on what you can do with them.

Be very careful or you will end up owning what is essentially a large shed which you cannot live in.
Hi,

Thank you so much for that. This property buying is quite involved!

Dee x
Old Oct 24th 2015, 6:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pedro, I hope you have done your homework regarding the climate up there.

Very much different to the coastal areas, there can be long spells of very cold weather up there in Winter with lots of frost and also the area is prone to drought, so not the easiest place in which to grow your own crops.

One factor you may or may not consider positive is the wind as there are many thousands of wind turbines producing electricity in that area.

Climate of Aragon
Old Oct 24th 2015, 7:15 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dam31rr
Hi,

I have a desire to do the same thing that you are describing. I have just joined and am new to the site and have been hoping to get in touch with other people who might have done this. Have you had any luck finding anyone?

Dee x
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Rosemary
Old Oct 24th 2015, 7:55 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe this article will explain what you can and cannot do on the land.
http://www.hg.org/article.asp?id=18087
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:34 am
Just Joined

Fabienne2015 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: I am wanting to build/convert on a finca, Aragon - Spain

Hello

Similarly to Pedro and Dee, I was wondering whether this kind of projects were feasible, making sure you get a proper home you can live in legally.

Thank you Casa Santo Estevo and Pedro for this information, are the laws and regulations the same in Aragon?

Would anyone have succeeded in such a project and who could share their experience?
Pedro, have you manage to do it?

All suggestions welcome.
Many thanks.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fabienne2015
Hello

Similarly to Pedro and Dee, I was wondering whether this kind of projects were feasible, making sure you get a proper home you can live in legally.

Thank you Casa Santo Estevo and Pedro for this information, are the laws and regulations the same in Aragon?

Would anyone have succeeded in such a project and who could share their experience?

All suggestions welcome.
Many thanks.
onsidering that the two original posters have not been back to the site since 2015, then I suspect that you are unlikely to get any feedback from them, you may want to start your own thread.
Old Aug 29th 2016, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Fabienne2015
Hello

All suggestions welcome.
Many thanks.

Rosemary
Old Aug 29th 2016, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

I looked into doing this a few years back (in Andalucía rather than Aragón). The snag I found was that if you wanted to live in it then it had to have been previously a habitation and that you could not increase the built floor area. Since nearly all the fincas suitable were really quite small, 2 bedrooms max and around 60m square area the they were not much use for a project.

The stories you seen in the UK press about villas being bulldozers are almost always where they have been built on agriculture zoned land. They may leave you your garage though as it can be classed as agricultural storage.

The moral of these stories is to be very, very careful. Even if the local ayuntamiento says it's OK then you should also check at the regional level as well.
Old Aug 30th 2016, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

teuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond reputeteuchterpete has a reputation beyond repute

Way back in 2008 when we bought our house, we looked at all types, fincas, town houses, and lots of others. When we were looking at fincas without services we were quoted at 1000 euros to drill for water and 1000 euros for each pole for power every 100 meters to the main power line. Worth a thought. We did look at one where the locals were clearly hot happy at having new neighbours as there were three man standing at the boundary marker holding shot guns in their arms cant see why the estate agent failed to mention this! For some reason we gave that one a miss.
Pete