Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Husband a dependent for healthcare?

Husband a dependent for healthcare?

Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

wsteele1983 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Husband a dependent for healthcare?

Hi all, just wanted to try and find out. My future wife will be taking on a job in Madrid, through a Uk company for 2 years, her national insurance will continue to be paid during this period.
Come September when we move over we will be married, when over there i will not be working.
Can i claim 2 years free health cover with a S1 form and be a dependent? as my wives salary will be looking after me!
I have been reading bits and pieces, and it claims that if you are a dependant and your partner is working in an Eu country and still paying Uk national insurance, they and the family can claim free health car for a period of up to 2 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:10 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Husband a dependent for healthcare?

Originally Posted by wsteele1983
Hi all, just wanted to try and find out. My future wife will be taking on a job in Madrid, through a Uk company for 2 years, her national insurance will continue to be paid during this period.
Come September when we move over we will be married, when over there i will not be working.
Can i claim 2 years free health cover with a S1 form and be a dependent? as my wives salary will be looking after me!
I have been reading bits and pieces, and it claims that if you are a dependant and your partner is working in an Eu country and still paying Uk national insurance, they and the family can claim free health car for a period of up to 2 years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
have you been working yourself in the UK? If so, you will probably qualify for an S1 in your own right
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

I would also like to add that ive been working in the Uk for the last 15 years with a 1 year break in between and paying Uk tax and national insurance if this makes a difference!
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I would also like to add that ive been working in the Uk for the last 15 years with a 1 year break in between and paying Uk tax and national insurance if this makes a difference!
see my post above yours
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

Why not call Newcastle and ask?
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:20 pm
Forum Regular

lol just read it after i posted.
I was under the impression that you could only get an s1 for yourself if you were working abroad and still paying NI. But you could get one for any dependents/children which you have.
Guess i could call Newcastle, just wanted to see if anyone on here has done this before. So at least i have a clue
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:33 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lol just read it after i posted.
I was under the impression that you could only get an s1 for yourself if you were working abroad and still paying NI. But you could get one for any dependents/children which you have.
Guess i could call Newcastle, just wanted to see if anyone on here has done this before. So at least i have a clue
yes, call Newcastle - you need to in order to get the S1 sent to you in any case

as long as your NI payments are up to date & recent/current, then you will qualify for one
Old Mar 8th 2013, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Richie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to allRichie1892 is a name known to all

I think this is who you need to call Overseas Healthcare Team 0191 21 81999 ...I was entitled to just under 2 years worth of healthcare when I moved over due to NI contributions paid whilst working in the UK.
Old Mar 8th 2013, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Cool, I'll give a ring sometime and ask them, cheers for the help