Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Humungous flying beastie...

Humungous flying beastie...

Old Jul 7th 2014, 7:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Default Humungous flying beastie...

Hi all again,,,,

I was out in the garden last week and I heard the loudest buzz ever, looked up and saw an enormous black and yellow insect... I honestly have never seen anything so big in my life, definitely not a wasp or bee or hornet... it was probably best part of three or four inches long and very fat looking.. I asked around and no one had any idea what I was talking about, then lo and behold I was pottering about again today with the chickens... (yes I've inherited chickens) lol.... and another one flew by... just as large and just as loud and mean looking... anyone got any idea what it might be??? scared me silly,,
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Humungous flying beastie...

Possibly a dragonfly as opposed to a cranefly which everyone in the UK calls a dragonfly.

They are about that size make a noise like slow running motorcycle engine and fly back and forward in irregular patterns. They are not dangerous, just looking for somewhere to lay eggs-check any still water or pools nearby for waterboatmen. This is the larval stage of them, a large black beetle in the water that appears to have to oars attached, hence the name.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 8:53 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
Possibly a dragonfly as opposed to a cranefly which everyone in the UK calls a dragonfly.

They are about that size make a noise like slow running motorcycle engine and fly back and forward in irregular patterns. They are not dangerous, just looking for somewhere to lay eggs-check any still water or pools nearby for waterboatmen. This is the larval stage of them, a large black beetle in the water that appears to have to oars attached, hence the name.
But no way does a Dragonfly look fat.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

two tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond reputetwo tubes of toothpaste has a reputation beyond repute

Mammoth Wasp from Spain - What's That Bug?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mammoth_wasp
Nice thing about it (!?), is that it is the enemy of the rhinocerous beetle what et my palm tree and many others in Spain.

On the basis that my enemy's enemy is my friend, try really hard not to kill it.
Old Jul 7th 2014, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Or like a crane fly which to me is a daddy long legs
Old Jul 7th 2014, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

My money is on a Cicada. Quite scary when you see one up close - huge eyes - but relatively benign.
Old Jul 8th 2014, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Was it one of these ?

Record-Breaking Giant Bird Dwarfs Albatross
Old Jul 8th 2014, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

raddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant futureraddickle has a brilliant future

possibly a 'black and yellow mud dauber' , the common name for the sphecid wasp. They can look pretty scary but rarely sting.
Old Jul 10th 2014, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies.... Looking at the pics I think it may possibly have been the mammoth wasp, it probably was about two or three inches long... so I reckon that's it... but no I wouldn't kill one,,, I'm too busy running in the opposite direction.. xx
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

Doris Haslop take a look at a previous post--number 18 was it one of these?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/spain...-826889/page2/
Old Jul 10th 2014, 6:51 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Could be - they look nasty.

Last edited by Fred James; Jul 10th 2014 at 6:53 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

No Bri... saw another one today... definitely the mammoth wasp... and still as scary xx
Old Jul 12th 2014, 9:57 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Could it be a Cicada Killer Wasp? They are pretty big...they paralyze cicadas and then fly back to their nest carrying the huge bug.

Edit: It could be a carpenter bee. They are huge and fat. The male guards the nest...they often fly very close to you hoping to scare you away from the nest. They rely on their size to do this as the males do not sting.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jul 12th 2014 at 10:02 am.
Old Jul 12th 2014, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Could it be a Cicada Killer Wasp? They are pretty big...they paralyze cicadas and then fly back to their nest carrying the huge bug.
One of my cats does that. He is big and stripey so he matches those criteria

The first time he did it, he had it in his closed mouth - he was making a very odd noise!
Old Jul 12th 2014, 10:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
One of my cats does that. He is big and stripey so he matches those criteria

The first time he did it, he had it in his closed mouth - he was making a very odd noise!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.