British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Human rights bill in Spain? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/human-rights-bill-spain-735728/)

twistedmelon Oct 15th 2011 9:02 am

Human rights bill in Spain?

Does Spain recognise the european courts bill of human rights?
In the UK people have used the bill affectively to over turn UK law through the high court.
Is this possible in Spain? It does appear that it isn't e.g. in the cases of those who have lost their property due to corruption in planning permission etc.
For those and any one else who has fallen foul of the Spanish legal system it appears to be a complete shambles when individuals have no course of appeal against the blatant corruption that is endemic in the culture.

jackytoo Oct 15th 2011 9:06 am

Re: Human rights bill in Spain?

All European countries recognise it, it was a good idea. Problem is the stupid judges in the UK decided to interpret it their own way whilst the rest of Europe ignores it.

steviedeluxe Oct 15th 2011 9:33 am

Originally Posted by jackytoo (Post 9676123)
All European countries recognise it, it was a good idea. Problem is the stupid judges in the UK decided to interpret it their own way whilst the rest of Europe ignores it.

Isn't the UK govt planning to do away with it (or elements of it - seems Nick Clegg is keen on keeping it)?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15140742

twistedmelon Oct 15th 2011 1:17 pm

So if the rest of Europe, including Spain, choose to ignore it what is the point in having it? Clearly something else I have completely missed the point.
Thanks for the replies.

bil Oct 15th 2011 4:56 pm

It's better to have such a bill than not. Hopefully over the years its problems will be ironed out.

Or are we taking the Daily Mail attitude that Human rights per se are a bad thing?

adra04778 Oct 15th 2011 5:24 pm

I don't read the daily mail, so not sure what it says, but I would definitely vote to scrap the human rights bill, maybe we should have a bill to help the innocent victims of crime instead, do you think people have to read a newspaper to form an opinion ? Which newspaper did you get your opinion from ?

bil Oct 15th 2011 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by adra04778 (Post 9676603)
I don't read the daily mail, so not sure what it says, but I would definitely vote to scrap the human rights bill, maybe we should have a bill to help the innocent victims of crime instead, do you think people have to read a newspaper to form an opinion ? Which newspaper did you get your opinion from ?

Daily Mail reader is a synonym for bigot.

So many right wing groups take the same attitude over and over again.

Are there problems with the railways? Scrap the railways!
Are there problems with Europe? Scrap our membership!
Are there problems with the Human rights Bill..........

There have to be basic human rights. Of course, government and those in power hate that sort of thing and would far rather that we had no rights at all.....

Dick Dasterdly Oct 15th 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9676619)

There have to be basic human rights. Of course, government and those in power hate that sort of thing and would far rather that we had no rights at all.....

Sufficient human rights should be written into the constitution and laws of each member country and enforced as required.
Whilst the overpaid fat bureaucats in Brussels have to do something to justify their existance, a lot of the stuff they have come out with is ridiculous,nonsensical,petty and unnecessary, therefore it's no great surprise that some member countries treat much of it with a giant pinch of salt.

Bigger Jim Oct 15th 2011 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9676619)

Hi Bil

Thought you wouldn't be seen dead reading the Mail?

Bigot - One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

Personally I read the mail, telegraph, guardian, der Spiegle and any others if I have the time. Well the internet editions anyway and it doesn't seem to have harmed me other than to drink Amstel which I used to detest when I was in Germany.

Still each to his own.

Jim

Fredbargate Oct 15th 2011 7:29 pm

Perhaps the Human rights bill and a lot of others should be replaced by the Bill of Common Sense

Bigger Jim Oct 15th 2011 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9676712)
Perhaps the Human rights bill and a lot of others should be replaced by the Bill of Common Sense

Sounds good to me but ain't gonna fly in my life time.

Jim

bobd22 Oct 15th 2011 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9676566)
It's better to have such a bill than not. Hopefully over the years its problems will be ironed out.

Or are we taking the Daily Mail attitude that Human rights per se are a bad thing?

e

The human rights act as stands is just a money maker for the likes of Cherie Blair, in principle a good thing but it needs amending mainly the right to family life which on the face of it is fine but the way it is abused is a disgrace.

EllisG Oct 15th 2011 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 9676712)

that would mean employing civil servants with common sense...then you really are in the realms of fantasy

Dick Dasterdly Oct 15th 2011 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by EllisG (Post 9676976)
that would mean employing civil servants with common sense...then you really are in the realms of fantasy

I suppose the first step in the right direction would be to appoint a Minister of Commonsense, though where they'd find a suitable canditate I'm not quite sure.

Obviously plenty of material for a Minister of Clever Cons and Dirty Tricks.
I would imagine even a Minister of Silly Walks also.

bil Oct 16th 2011 7:47 am

Read the Mail? I wouldn't wipe my arse on it.

If we went thru the system scrapping everything that had problems, or was abused, what would be left?

The idea of a single human rights bill across Europe is good, because it would force some of the less advanced countries to up their game.

The particular problem we have in the UK if that the governments (of all types) is that they slavishly obey, without any trace of common sense, the letter of the law to a ridiculous degree.

Laws should be interpreted with common sense. It isn't rocket science.