Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Huelva Bellavista barrio - anyone know anything?

Huelva Bellavista barrio - anyone know anything?

Old Feb 8th 2011, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Huelva Bellavista barrio - anyone know anything?

Originally Posted by fionamw
I've just learned one of my ancestors built a barrio in 1883 for mining staff & that the manager's house has just been bought by the University of Huelva from Endesa.
A cousin and I plan a visit later this year; apparently the railway that went from the mine to the loading docks on the river has been reopened as a 'tourist railway' along a 23 km stretch of the line - said to be a beautiful journey. Does anyone know anything more about any of this history? There's a blog my cousin's found but anything else would be helpful. Seems one of our family is buried in Huelva British cemetery (??).....
In addition to the inland end of the line and village at Rio Tinto there is also plenty of evidence left in Huelva City. Just opposite El Corte Ingles there is a square of Victorian houses and down at the docks the overhead loading facilities for the ore has been preserved. The oldest golf course in Spain is just outside Huelva at Alajaraque started by the mine managers and the first football club in Spain again started by the miners is Huelva FC and 2 seasons ago made the premier liga. Their ground is new, again down by the docks but it may be the original site, just along the coast is the Statue of Columbus looking out to the Americas. Of course that generation of miners were Scottish and the sports reflect that.
Old Feb 8th 2011, 1:59 pm
Just Joined

David-Spain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Huelva Bellavista barrio - anyone know anything?

Hi

I hope the detail, as below helps?

Huelva Cemetery

There are four War Graves in the Huelva Cemetery, one in the Town Cemetery:
Glyndwr Michael who served his country during the Second World War under the assumed rank & name of Major William Martin, Royal Marines. History knows him as “THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS”. His grave is number 46 of San Marcos Sector row 14 (that is the furthest row from the entrance).

Next to the Town Cemetery is the British Cemetery called “Nuestra Senora de la Soledad” it is just to the left of the main Cemetery with the entrance in the overflow car parking. In this cemetery there are three graves:
Able Seaman Percy Longthorpe – Royal Navy
Sergeant Geoffrey Lennox – Royal Australian Air Force
Sergeant Philip Bernard Crossan - Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve

I believe that the British Cemetery is normally closed but the key holder is on: 959247613
.................................................. ............
The Cemetery is located on the Avenida de Santa Marta, 21005 Huelva it is north-east of the town & is signposted (it’s not that far from the hospital). Cemetery telephone: 959150818

I have more information should you need it; call me on 952514226 or 653108415.

Kind regards & good luck

David
Old Feb 8th 2011, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Huelva Bellavista barrio - anyone know anything?

The relation (from memory, which is cr@p, not sure even if male or female) is from far longer ago - 19th century I reckon