Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Is Valencia?

How Is Valencia?

Old Jul 25th 2007, 6:20 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Is Valencia?

We are a British guy, Kenyan wife and 4yo daughter presently enduring the oppressive heat of the Arabian Gulf and looking to relocate next year to Spain, France or Canada. Of the three, France appeals to me the most but people on this Forum give it negative reviews, primarily because of the red tape and unemployment. So how about Valencia and the nearby coastal area? What is it really like for the non-Spanish? The place and climate seem ideal but finding work may be an issue. My wife and daughter will soon pick up the language, but it may not be easy for an older guy like myself. At least properties look reasonably inexpensive, 50km out of Valencia. Any observations or referrals would be most welcome, thanks.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:32 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Is Valencia?

Hiya Lionheart

I live in Oliva, about 80 kms South of Valencia.
Its a lovely area, and I find the Spanish here to be very pleasant and accepting to me as a foreigner, although you do need to make the effort to speak the language and not try and impress your values on them.

You don't say what line of work you are in. The general view seems to be that you need to speak the language to give yourself a head start in looking for a job. I'm retired myself, so dont need to worry about work, but you also need to bear in mind that when you work here it will be long hours. You will be working in the morning, taking a break, and then working into the evening. This doesn't agree with some people.

I've said on here before that to retire here is a good choice, but if I had to work I'm not sure if I would have come here.

I love Valencia itself. Its a lovely city historically with some beautiful architecture ..... the port areas have undergone a lot of development and theres some really modern buildings by the sealife centre which are quite striking (I think thats the word).

Gandia may be worth looking at .... its 45 minutes from the airport, a nice town with all you need, and blue flag beaches a short distance away. Just around here you can pick up a good location two bed villa with views for around 200,000 euros

Good luck, and dont hesitate to ask if you need to know more about the area
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:32 am
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Is Valencia?

Originally Posted by lionheart
We are a British guy, Kenyan wife and 4yo daughter presently enduring the oppressive heat of the Arabian Gulf and looking to relocate next year to Spain, France or Canada. Of the three, France appeals to me the most but people on this Forum give it negative reviews, primarily because of the red tape and unemployment. So how about Valencia and the nearby coastal area? What is it really like for the non-Spanish? The place and climate seem ideal but finding work may be an issue. My wife and daughter will soon pick up the language, but it may not be easy for an older guy like myself. At least properties look reasonably inexpensive, 50km out of Valencia. Any observations or referrals would be most welcome, thanks.
work can be very hard to find and generally those who can sustain themselves have a trade of some sort and set up on their own

this area is beautiful, beach is very good and clean and excellent access to motorway and Alicante and Valencia airports

I feel its always best to rent first so you can get a feel for an area so this might be an option you want to consider - 3 bed house to rent approx 500-600€ per month plus bills

Spain probably has as many "red tape" issues as France - which can drive you mad at times

Speaking Spanish is very important especially if you want to find work or set up on your own, ununlessou go a lot further south then it may not be an issue