Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

how much reregister in UK not Spain.

how much reregister in UK not Spain.

Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice
Default Re: how much reregister in UK not Spain.

Originally Posted by Fred James
As others have said, best option is get a cheap s/h car in Spain.

The residency situation is confused and to some extent contradictory.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the legality of residency.

Certainly tax residency is clearly defined and so is the requirement to register on the register of foreigners.

The padron is less clear as in some areas the town hall has encouraged anyone with a holiday property or rental contract to sign on. However the relevant law clearly states you are only supposed to sign on the padron if your "Habitual Home" is in the locality which in itself would imply tax residency.

As I said earlier if you want to pursue the residency issue in its own right please start a new thread.

What I meant about the legality of residency is related to foreigners with cars.
As I read it (possibly incorrectly), is that foreign residents are not allowed to have cars here for more than 6 months.
However, if you haven't signed on at the padron, then you are not classed as a foreign resident even though you may have an NIE number.
I suppose come June, I am meant to sign on at the padron for tax residency but at present we are living in a rented holiday home so it could not really be classed as habitual.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:33 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
Is it possible to replate the car, but then have it replated again if I take it back to the UK
Just as a final note it costs you nothing to re plate a previously UK registered car when you take it back to the UK, but of course it will need a new MOT and probably tax. If you are plating a car that has not previously been in the UK then it would be a little different.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 8:36 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

What I meant about the legality of residency is related to foreigners with cars.
As I read it (possibly incorrectly), is that foreign residents are not allowed to have cars here for more than 6 months.
However, if you haven't signed on at the padron, then you are not classed as a foreign resident even though you may have an NIE number.
I suppose come June, I am meant to sign on at the padron for tax residency but at present we are living in a rented holiday home so it could not really be classed as habitual.
Signing on the padron is a different issue to signing on the foreigners list (residency), and is not about registering for "income" tax residency
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:24 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

The rules regarding UK registered cars has been discussed at length, several times. Rather than go through this yet again, I suggest you search the forum.
FYI: Whether you are on padron or have an NIE number, is irrelevant.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by missile
The rules regarding UK registered cars has been discussed at length, several times. Rather than go through this yet again, I suggest you search the forum.
FYI: Whether you are on padron or have an NIE number, is irrelevant.
No, I realise that, I've read through but there are lots of confusions TBH.
The post was really aimed at a possible way to get around it because I don't plan on staying here long term but definitely longer than 6 months.

EU citizens who are not Spanish residents may drive their foreign-registered vehicles (cars, motorbikes and caravans) in Spain for up to 180 days (six months) in a calendar year as long as it is road-worthy in the country in which it is registered. In this case, only the owner of the vehicle may drive it.

A foreign-registered vehicle may remain in Spain for more than 180 days in a calendar year as long as it is not driven. Even though EU citizens are no longer required to obtain a residence card, after 182 days the vehicle must be registered in Spain or garaged.
This looks like a barage of loopholes concerning when the car came in, proof, perhaps I come in with the car every month, etc. etc.
If it's taxed and MOT'd - would the Guardia even care?
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:53 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Just as a final note it costs you nothing to re plate a previously UK registered car when you take it back to the UK, but of course it will need a new MOT and probably tax. If you are plating a car that has not previously been in the UK then it would be a little different.
... unless, of course, you changed the lights over and now have the expense of changing them back again (not just headlights but reevrsing and fog lights as well).
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:01 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by snikpoh
... unless, of course, you changed the lights over and now have the expense of changing them back again (not just headlights but reevrsing and fog lights as well).
I'm talking about administrative costs, i.e. DVLA.

FYI I just took a car back and it cost me nothing other than tax ins mot. Not even new headlights, and not sure what you mean about reversing or fog lights ... they are as was originally.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 12:40 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

No, I realise that, I've read through but there are lots of confusions TBH.
The post was really aimed at a possible way to get around it because I don't plan on staying here long term but definitely longer than 6 months.

This looks like a barage of loopholes concerning when the car came in, proof, perhaps I come in with the car every month, etc. etc.
If it's taxed and MOT'd - would the Guardia even care?
IMHO there is no confusion on what you should do

You may wish to ignore or misinterpret the rules to suit your purpose. Many do but if you have an accident , you may regret it.

Last edited by missile; Mar 9th 2011 at 12:43 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 2:27 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
IMHO there is no confusion on what you should do

You may wish to ignore or misinterpret the rules to suit your purpose. Many do but if you have an accident , you may regret it.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

So, buy a second hand car for 4 months and then sell it on?
Probably cheaper to get replated in Spain then get replated again in UK.
Or just pretend the car hasn't been here that long...who's to know I don't travel back and forth.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 3:40 pm
Started off with nothing

You have been given good advice, it is your choice whether you follow it.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond reputeBomber Harris has a reputation beyond repute

According to this: http://spain.angloinfo.com/countries...toregister.asp
it is the person not the car. Therefore legal proof would be the NIE.
Also, I have seen some suggestions that it is 6 months in any calendar year not 6 months continuous.
The information on the Angloinfo site is not correct. It is 183 days in any 12 month period (not a calender year) and it is counted from when the vehicle enters, not the person.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
The information on the Angloinfo site is not correct. It is 183 days in any 12 month period (not a calender year) and it is counted from when the vehicle enters, not the person.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:03 pm
Senior Moment

who's to know I don't travel back and forth.
It would be down to you to prove it to them should the need arise, not the other way around
Old Mar 9th 2011, 4:05 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I'm talking about administrative costs, i.e. DVLA.

FYI I just took a car back and it cost me nothing other than tax ins mot. Not even new headlights, and not sure what you mean about reversing or fog lights ... they are as was originally.
If you have a car with only one reversing light and only one rear fog light, then they will be on the wrong side for Spain.

However, having said that, some ITV centres ignore this problem whilst some don't.

Back in UK, I understand that even if you have 'Spanish' headlights, then with the appropriate sticky tape, MOT centres will still pass them as OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.