Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

how many of you

how many of you

Old Jun 29th 2008, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how many of you

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
I'll take your word for it i did French a few years ago and the woman who taught us was in pieces every lesson coz we was trying to talk in French with a broad Lancashire accent - she couldnt understand us So when do the lessons start then Debs
My French teacher at school kept telling me off because I spoke french with a spanish accent.... didn`t matter that the rest of the class spoke french with a lancashire accent... I didn`t continue with the lessons... I`m sure it is all to do with the type of teacher you have and whether or not you thrive.

Msn... here we come...
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:04 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DebsyW
My French teacher at school kept telling me off because I spoke french with a spanish accent.... didn`t matter that the rest of the class spoke french with a lancashire accent... I didn`t continue with the lessons... I`m sure it is all to do with the type of teacher you have and whether or not you thrive.

Msn... here we come...
Hey ive got one for you - Hasta la vista baby - how'm i doin
Old Jun 29th 2008, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hey ive got one for you - Hasta la vista baby - how'm i doin
Night, Arnie....
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:05 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Spanish is an excellent language, full of 'calor y cojones'.

They have a sensible attitude to swearing.
Old Jun 29th 2008, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Torrevieja & Los Altos, Spain. Formaly from Wembley, London, UK
Wendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud ofWendy Nesbeth has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lcortez
It literally means "of prostitutes mother",HOWEVER,in actuality,it means,excellent,fantastic!,as in the previous dscussion re another poster house being,"de puta madre!"

I think the poster stating it will get you killed is refering to "tu puta madre!",which means "your mum's a whore!",which will very def get you killed!

If you use the phrase be very,very carefull as to which one you use!(sure I dont need to say it)!
I am sure "puta" also means something else, which is worse.

Just be very careful.

Wendy x
Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy Nesbeth

Just be very careful.

Wendy x
It is the context it is said in that makes the difference, same as a lot of Spanish words. lol
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:31 am
Just Joined

scottydan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pjj
hi everyone as you know i am looking at making the move to spain only problem is im trying to learn spanish and it aint easy ,im just been wondering how many of you that have made the move to spain speak the lingo and how long did it take you to learn ?
Esañol es muy dificil.

Especially for a brit who most Brits have next to no understand of any other languag ebut their own.

Look at your English though, You speak good English and I bet others can understand you. English is one of the hardest to learn but you learnt.

I'm still learning. I know a lot of random things and can throw together alot of random sentances. I now guess I probably have a vocabulary of around 400 words wich I can use confidentaly.

Apart from the odd obvious words I already knew like numbers and hello and goodbye, learning so far has taken me about 3 months of excessive study.

It's one thing learning the language form home without the input of a real life situation having to speak in Spanish, but when you learn a bit just try watching a Spanish movie ir program! It's soo fast at first!

Hasta La Vista Pjj chao
Old Jun 30th 2008, 7:32 am
Just Joined

scottydan is an unknown quantity at this point

Just be very careful.

Wendy x

Old Jun 30th 2008, 9:27 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Puta just means whore. No more, no less.

You can use it as an adjective without giving offense.

El puto coche The bloody car

La puta vida Aiin't life a bitch

and so on.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Just be very careful.

Wendy x
"puta" is short for "prostituta",which is another word for whore!
Learn how to speak Spanish before you lecture me!
Old Jun 30th 2008, 3:59 pm
bil
Banned

Ahh, so that's where it comes from. Thanks for that.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:12 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lcortez
"puta" is short for "prostituta",which is another word for whore!
Learn how to speak Spanish before you lecture me!
without trying to start a massive fight, it is now believed it stems from or is related to the Italian word puttana, which is derived from the latin for pure, putus.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:19 pm
bil
Banned

Puta from pure? Surely you jest?
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:21 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Puta from pure? Surely you jest?
putus is pure...

puttana is obviously some bastardisation of it.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 4:47 pm
bil
Banned

I don't think there is much obvious about it. It's possible, but I'd want to see a bit of evidence.

I was puzzled as to where you got this from, and then I remembered your taste for Wiki.

If you do look there, puto will give you two references, one from Spanish and the other from Latin meaning clean, pure and so on.

This is one reason I am less than happy at the casual clipping of data from places like Wiki as if you don't fully understand what you are looking for/at then the risk is you will make and promulgate errors of assuption.

I would suggest that the likelihood of it being derived from prostituta is several orders of magnitude greater than from putus, but I'm more than happy to be corrected if you have the requisite data and references to back it up.

I wouldn't mind betting that all the romance language words for whore have a similar derivation.

This isn't to start a fight btw, just a desire to know for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.