Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

how many of you

how many of you

Old Jun 27th 2008, 3:16 pm
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of
Default how many of you

hi everyone as you know i am looking at making the move to spain only problem is im trying to learn spanish and it aint easy ,im just been wondering how many of you that have made the move to spain speak the lingo and how long did it take you to learn ?

Last edited by pjj; Jun 27th 2008 at 4:10 pm.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of
Default Re: how many of you

If your finding the language hard,try this; Teach Yourself instant Spanish,by Elizebeth Smith.
It gives you a vocabulary of approx 400 words,which will serve you well in all imaginable circumstances
After that,you can learn new words at your own pace.

However,do make the effort with the language,if you dont your only storing up trouble for yourself,desgraciademente .

PS;the book and cd set is available from WHSmith's,at approx £17.00.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:11 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pjj
hi everyone as you know i am looking at making the move to spain only problem is im trying to learn spanish and it aint easy ,im just been wondering how many of you that have made the move to spain speak the lingo and how long did it take you to learn ?
I speak the lingo like a native,and so does my other half.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:12 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

I speak spanish but only after 10 years of working with them 5 or 6 days a week. It is not easy in the beginning but you have to be in amonst them almost everyday. In my opinion, classes don´t work unless you practice everyday with the people.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 4:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I get by .... but only just. I'm not really up to conversational standard yet
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Threemonkeys is a jewel in the roughThreemonkeys is a jewel in the roughThreemonkeys is a jewel in the roughThreemonkeys is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by pjj
Been here 2 years, finding language hard to learn, being a builder my spanish is all about construction, but i won,t be defeated keep hacking away at it, i find keeping a note book with me helps a lot, jotting useful new words down before i forget, nothing more frustrating. After 2 yrs my level is a very basic conversation, but a lot more confidence.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:34 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Learning the language is vital.

I'm not going yet (tho I'd go tomorrow if only all the problems here were sorted) but I am able to converse a bit.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 6:35 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Threemonkeys
Been here 2 years, finding language hard to learn, being a builder my spanish is all about construction, but i won,t be defeated keep hacking away at it, i find keeping a note book with me helps a lot, jotting useful new words down before i forget, nothing more frustrating. After 2 yrs my level is a very basic conversation, but a lot more confidence.
Hi there Threemonkeys
Ive just read youre a builder - my hubby is a builder over here in the UK - did you find it really difficult to get work over in Spain - that is one of our main worries him not being able to get any work - we do not speak Spanish but we would of course be learning or trying to.
Thanks
Love Sam xxxxx
Old Jun 27th 2008, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: how many of you

Originally Posted by Sam Greenfield
Hi there Threemonkeys
Ive just read youre a builder - my hubby is a builder over here in the UK - did you find it really difficult to get work over in Spain - that is one of our main worries him not being able to get any work - we do not speak Spanish but we would of course be learning or trying to.
Thanks
Love Sam xxxxx
We are building a house in Costa Esuri and at the outset I bought 2 books on Amazon. The first,

"Constructionary" published by McGraw - Hill is an English/Spanish Construction Dictionary from America but most of the terms are the same.

and second,

"buying a home in spain" in the teach yourself series which comes with a CD of pronunciations. We have other Buying books but this one has more construction terms in it than the others.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 8:26 pm
Happy in my bubble

Sam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond reputeSam Greenfield has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
We are building a house in Costa Esuri and at the outset I bought 2 books on Amazon. The first,

"Constructionary" published by McGraw - Hill is an English/Spanish Construction Dictionary from America but most of the terms are the same.

and second,

"buying a home in spain" in the teach yourself series which comes with a CD of pronunciations. We have other Buying books but this one has more construction terms in it than the others.
Thanks for that - im gonna have a look for them as they may come in handy - thanks again - love Sam xxx
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that - im gonna have a look for them as they may come in handy - thanks again - love Sam xxx
Sammy..... I will give you some lessons for free when we next meet... or we can practice on msn xx
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:28 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Sammy..... I will give you some lessons for free when we next meet... or we can practice on msn xx
That sounds good to me xxxxx - do we start with the all important swear words first then
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond reputeDebsyW has a reputation beyond repute

That sounds good to me xxxxx - do we start with the all important swear words first then
Of course not! I don`t swear.....

and `dos ******** san miguel por favor` wouldn`t go down too well....
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:32 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Altho saying it was 'de la puta madre' would go down well.
Old Jun 27th 2008, 9:35 pm
Happy in my bubble

Originally Posted by DebsyW
Of course not! I don`t swear.....

and `dos ******** san miguel por favor` wouldn`t go down too well....
Oh yeh

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.