Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

how many of us are here

how many of us are here

Old Jul 15th 2017, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default how many of us are here

many years ago the British Consulate had some kind of knowledge about us Brits.resident in their area.They sent out a couple of bods.with a clipboard to,was it usually a bar?,register our names.In my area we went to Benidorm.As an ex member of the British Armed Forces I've always thought it was more of a day out of the office for the diplomatic staff members rather than an actual account.However I am sure it did what"it said on the tin".This was discontinued,I don't know when.Since then I've wondered,if I died in the street taking out my basura to the appropriate bin at the designated time,the only time I wouldn't have my passport on my person(as requested)since it's just across the road from my home,who would be able to identify my body?Not the Consulate as they have no records.Just as well I have Spanish neighbours who know me & that would lead to my details on the Padron.Now we see that the Institute for National Statistics are going to compile a list of us,not before time.
Old Jul 15th 2017, 5:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: how many of us are here

If you are a resident and have signed onto the register of foreigners, which you are legally required to do, the police will have all your details.
Old Jul 16th 2017, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Having attended some Brexit meetings where representatives of the Alicante consul have been present I am sure they have done a lot of analysis of how many of us are here and where we live.

However, as there are still many here unofficially (ie no residencia, padron etc) how can they be sure? maybe that reminds you of another country in a similar situation?
Old Jul 16th 2017, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite correct Fred,the SPANISH police would have details,they can then inform the British Consulate who,in my imagination whilst not trying to laugh my socks off as I won't care because I am dead,I can see them scratching of heads & asking if the passport can be found which will(hopefully)give a name of next of kin.And I'm legally registered.As spainrico points out there are many,& all of us know of someone (or two) who are under the radar but "analysis" is what our Consulate is good at.So hopefully this new reckoning by a different body will give a more accurate account.Meantime I will wait to be told what venue(bar)I must attend locally to record my details for the UK.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

guirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really niceguirijohn is just really nice

If you are on the Padron you will have been counted. As of 1st January 2017 there were 294,295 Britons registered according to ine.es, the statistical agency.

I am sure they will find out who you are. A bigger worry is the speed with which the Spanish bury their dead. Best not to fall into a deep sleep beside the container.
Old Jul 18th 2017, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Ah yes,but you have to be registered on the Padron,those on a scive won't be.I,m not bothered that(very necessary in this climate)you are despatched pretty quickly,most of us old timers have a prepaid funeral plan,only needs one phone call by anyone & the company take over.Maybe sad for a close relative though if the Consulate haven't contacted you within that 48 hours!