British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   how many cigarettes?????? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/how-many-cigarettes-402650/)

patsywhitehair Oct 17th 2006 7:54 am

how many cigarettes??????

I am flying to UK tomorrow, does anybody know how many cigarettes I can take back . thanks

jdr Oct 17th 2006 9:55 am

Re: how many cigarettes??????

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair
I am flying to UK tomorrow, does anybody know how many cigarettes I can take back . thanks

More than you could carry ;) about 16 packs, but only if the Spanish customs let you take them through. Sometimes they check and dont like people taking too many.

This is a long thread but may interest you HERE I think this is about page 17 and some people have had them confiscated, but they did have a lot ;)

jonsol Oct 17th 2006 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
More than you could carry ;) about 16 packs, but only if the Spanish customs let you take them through. Sometimes they check and dont like people taking too many.

This is a long thread but may interest you HERE I think this is about page 17 and some people have had them confiscated, but they did have a lot ;)

Is that cartons or individual packets, and why do Spanish customs check what you are taking out ?

jdr Oct 17th 2006 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by jonsol
Is that cartons or individual packets, and why do Spanish customs check what you are taking out ?

Everything is scanned now so they know what is in the cases also.
Alledgedly you are allowed 16 packs with no problem, but read on the link some people have had them confiscated if customs think they are not for your personal use.

jjh Oct 17th 2006 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by jdr
Everything is scanned now so they know what is in the cases also.
Alledgedly you are allowed 16 packs with no problem, but read on the link some people have had them confiscated if customs think they are not for your personal use.

I thought that if they are duty paid, which they are if they are bought in Spain, you can take as many back as you like. :confused:

jdr Oct 17th 2006 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by jjh
I thought that if they are duty paid, which they are if they are bought in Spain, you can take as many back as you like. :confused:

Yes but if they object you have to prove that they are for you personally and not for resale. If they think you are going to resell them, they can confiscate them and you have to appeal to get them back :eek:

anabella Oct 17th 2006 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by patsywhitehair

16 cartons, unless you are flying from the Canaries

the sun is shining Oct 17th 2006 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by anabella
16 cartons, unless you are flying from the Canaries

Hi Guys
I have heard, not sure if i am correct, that if you open every packet there is not a lot you can do but i am unsure? :)

jonsol Oct 18th 2006 12:04 am

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi Guys
I have heard, not sure if i am correct, that if you open every packet there is not a lot you can do but i am unsure? :)

Hi, Don`t you mean not a lot that THEY can do, (customs ) :confused:

jonsol Oct 19th 2006 12:06 am

Originally Posted by the sun is shining
Hi Guys

;) Many years ago this was true, but only if you had just a few more than the permitted 1 carton, if you opened the other packets then they did not bother you, but it was really only perhaps 4 or 5 packets that they allowed for this. :)

jonsol Oct 19th 2006 12:46 pm

;) Many years ago this was true, but only if you had just a few more than the permitted 1 carton, if you opened the other packets then they did not bother you, but it was really only perhaps 4 or 5 packets that they allowed for this. :)

Update......Just read Teletext service, a crew member on the QE2 has been stopped with 765,000 cigarettes ! ! ! :scared:

mikelincs Oct 19th 2006 3:55 pm

Update......Just read Teletext service, a crew member on the QE2 has been stopped with 765,000 cigarettes ! ! ! :scared:

Personal consumption? even at 20 a day it would take about 104 years to smoke them. :eek: Don't think he stands much of a chance in his defence. They would ahve gone off by then. :D

jdr Oct 19th 2006 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Personal consumption? even at 20 a day it would take about 104 years to smoke them. :eek: Don't think he stands much of a chance in his defence. They would ahve gone off by then. :D

Or about 50 years of this http://bestsmileys.com/smoking/8.gif

And dont forget this http://bestsmileys.com/smoking/1.gif