Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Long Have You Lived Here?

How Long Have You Lived Here?

Old May 27th 2010, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Long Have You Lived Here?

42. See, I told you.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Where do you get the info that most do? That would mean presumably hundreds of thousands of british expats!

Been here nearly 4 years ... still happy
My info is from what I see in the expat community, very few stay more than 3 years , most are gone at 6 six , and I guess 1 in 10 live here untill they are six foot under.(2 meter`s in europe (

Yes hundreds of thousands do go back to the UK , mainly for financial reasons, some get ill and find the health system here difficult because they dont speak spanish, for others it`s not what they expected.
Some just leave because they are looking for their next adventure.

It dose seem a bit like a revolving door here.
Old May 27th 2010, 10:00 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
You are stood at the bar and somebody notices your command of Spanish. Dos cervezas, you say, y un paquete de patatas.
Cor, they go, how long have you lived here?
Five years, you answer, feeling rather pleased with yourself.
I've been here seven, says the barman in an accent which is faintly Geordie.
Old May 27th 2010, 11:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Mitz, they do say that 70% of all brits go home within three years.
Who are "they" Bil
How do you count something like that ... I just dont know!
Old May 27th 2010, 11:20 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
My info is from what I see in the expat community, very few stay more than 3 years , most are gone at 6 six , and I guess 1 in 10 live here untill they are six foot under.(2 meter`s in europe (
Ahh .... I see .... then I really dont think it means much mate, for the number of people who seem to use expat forums compared to the amount of actual expats here is minimal. Maybe being on an expat forum pushes you over the edge
Old May 27th 2010, 3:50 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

My experience is based more on my time in Tenerife than here on the peninsula.
I found that with the exception of those who had financial or domestic problems most expats were well settled, and in it for the long term.
There was a tendancy for those getting on a bit,..I mean really getting on a bit in years, to return to their roots after ten years or so despite the fact that they had always appeared very contented.
I moved on after ten years mainly because I thought it time for a change and to see a bit more of the World especially all the different areas of Spain, away from the main Costas.
No regrets, apart from possibly the weather, which may be a big factor why I think people settle in better long term in the Canaries.
Old May 27th 2010, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Curious to know how long on average Brits live in Spain before they move on,as most do.
People move/relocate in any country, they trade up or trade down, they divorce, die, have kids need more room, kids leaving home, kids school catchment area, job relocation. There are a million reasons for relocating which have nothing whatsoever to do with Spain itself.

So yes many will move on but as no stats exist, who can say how long Brits live in Spain and why they move?

As nobody knows how many Brits actually live in Spain.... there is no answer.
I certainly do not believe that Brits return to the UK for health treatment because they cant speak Spanish. I recently had the misfortune to go several times with a family member in the UK to 3 NHS hospitals and it was hard to find anyone there who spoke English there either.
Old May 27th 2010, 8:55 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

23rd November 1995.
Old May 28th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ahh .... I see .... then I really dont think it means much mate, for the number of people who seem to use expat forums compared to the amount of actual expats here is minimal. Maybe being on an expat forum pushes you over the edge
I`m not using this forum as reference, I have contact with a lot of expats through work as well as Spanish , all seem of the same mind that very few expats stay here indefinatley ,for all the reason I mentioned before. I also know that several international schools are having serious problems due to so many going back.

Where do you get your information from that contradicts this.?

Last edited by Rotor; May 28th 2010 at 9:01 am.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by whitelinen
People move/relocate in any country, they trade up or trade down, they divorce, die, have kids need more room, kids leaving home, kids school catchment area, job relocation. There are a million reasons for relocating which have nothing whatsoever to do with Spain itself.

So yes many will move on but as no stats exist, who can say how long Brits live in Spain and why they move?

As nobody knows how many Brits actually live in Spain.... there is no answer.
I certainly do not believe that Brits return to the UK for health treatment because they cant speak Spanish. I recently had the misfortune to go several times with a family member in the UK to 3 NHS hospitals and it was hard to find anyone there who spoke English there either.
I know of three in the last 18 months.But yes I agree about it being hard to find an english speaking doctor in certain parts of the UK
Old May 28th 2010, 9:21 am
Senior Moment

I`m not using this forum as reference, I have contact with a lot of expats through work as well as Spanish , all seem of the same mind that very few expats stay here indefinatley ,for all the reason I mentioned before. I also know that several international schools are having serious problems due to so many going back.

Where do you get your information from that contradicts this.?
I have no statistics if thats what you mean ..... and neither do any of us, because they dont seem to exist. My experience is from forums, people I know, expat groups such as U3A ..... I'm not saying all people stay here forever, I'm not even sure If I will, but I just dont think its possible to say with accuracy that "most Brits move on" Cos we dont know if they do or if they dont .. Jeez we dont even know for sure how many live here!
Old May 28th 2010, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

But yes I agree about it being hard to find an english speaking doctor in certain parts of the UK

I doubt you would find it funny if it was your dad who was at the mercy of the NHS and mine is in Surrey not some immigrant hotspot.
Old May 28th 2010, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

dunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to alldunmovin is a name known to all

I've been here for almost two years now and don't plan to move again.

I should say that I was an expat in Hong kong for 14 years and did move on
Old May 28th 2010, 9:49 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that there are no statistics available, but the recession of the past three years must have had some effect on expats leaving Spain, most of us have had a 30% pay cut.

For what it’s worth, I know of far more people leaving, then new people arriving, and it’s mostly for economic reasons.
Old May 28th 2010, 10:01 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by HBG
I agree that there are no statistics available, but the recession of the past three years must have had some effect on expats leaving Spain, most of us have had a 30% pay cut.

For what it’s worth, I know of far more people leaving, then new people arriving, and it’s mostly for economic reasons.
Oh for sure, we took a huge drop through rates of exchange almost as soon as we got here!

I'm guessing it would be split in two ...... those that needed to work, and those that are retired.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.