Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

Old Jan 31st 2012, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long did it take you to learn Spanish?

Originally Posted by JLFS
As far as I am concerned "me caguen" is present subjunctive, and refers to "them"crapping on me, as the verb is conjugated from Ellos, but Dios does not fit the context as it is singluar.

Probably a mistake in the listening and written as caguen instead of cago en

whereas, What should be (yo) me cago, is me being the crapper and not the crappee

A bit difficult to understand Ithink, but I know you have a good understanding of the techie stuff, so you should get it.

me caguen means me bieng crapped on by more than one person. Oh Gawd.......
Yes, I follow all that, it doesn't seem to make grammatical sense really, but a quick google shows it's used a fair bit. That's why I thought it might possibly be slang, something like "God, they're shitting on me!" Perhaps it's like Hoygan!
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usuario...Rescate/HOYGAN
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:04 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
Yes, I follow all that, it doesn't seem to make grammatical sense really, but a quick google shows it's used a fair bit. That's why I thought it might possibly be slang, something like "God, they're shitting on me!" Perhaps it's like Hoygan!
http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usuario...Rescate/HOYGAN
I copied and pasted this example of me cague from tinternet. Hoping it will become clearerl, if not for you then at least for me....ha ha

Vivo con miedo a que me caguen encima las gaviotas

Correctly conjugated with "me" being the prospective crappee, and the seagulls being the crappers. hence the subjuctiv/ plural , but as God is singualr, grammatically it would not make sense with caguen.

There are far more examples of cago en, out there, and I still think it is a question of mishearing the phrase,and then misspellingm rather like the wreckers they have on the windows........

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a Spainsh help thread, even if it only serves to help ME out.

Last edited by JLFS; Jan 31st 2012 at 5:09 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:15 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Carrying on from the hoygan..................

NESECITO HALLUDA PARA HACAVAR EL POKEMON HESMERALDA
# …NESECITO SAVER DONDE VAJAR LA PELICULA DE HESTAR WARS GRATIX
# …NO SE MUCHO DE HIMFORMATICA PERO KIERO HENTRAR HEN HEL HORDENADOR DE MI BEZINO KOMO LO AGO?

Well, yes.......favourite is the bezino

BTW is hoygan from OIR?

Last edited by JLFS; Jan 31st 2012 at 5:18 pm.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

I copied and pasted this example of me cague from tinternet. Hoping it will become clearerl, if not for you then at least for me....ha ha

Vivo con miedo a que me caguen encima las gaviotas

Correctly conjugated with "me" being the prospective crappee, and the seagulls being the crappers. hence the subjuctiv/ plural , but as God is singualr, grammatically it would not make sense with caguen.

There are far more examples of cago en, out there, and I still think it is a question of mishearing the phrase,and then misspellingm rather like the wreckers they have on the windows........

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a Spainsh help thread, even if it only serves to help ME out.
I think this is an excellent idea; best if a sticky or somesuch, though....
Old Jan 31st 2012, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

sujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of lightsujee is a glorious beacon of light

Ahhh takes me back to Latin lessons when I was a young lass!
Watched Life of Brian the other night, I was falling about when the romans were teaching him Romani ite domum.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

BTW is hoygan from OIR?
Claro que sí! From oiga.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 7:36 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

I have no idea where it comes from, but it's not "me caguen Dios" but "me cagüen Dios". Cagüen doesn't exist but I assume it's an colloquial expression that has been transformed to make it less serious. There are many examples like: "Me cachis en la mar", instead of "me cago en la mar" or "jopé", "jopelines", etc which come from "j*der". Caguen would be subjuntivo, as somebody has mentioned earlier.

About the "familia" word on the other thread, I'm not sure if that's what you meant, but saying "hola familia" doesn't mean "hola mi familia" at all. It's not including yourself in anybody's family. I can go and see some friends and say "hola familia" if the whole family is there together, same as saying "hola pareja" or "hola parejita" that you can say if you meet a couple you know, it doesn't mean you're anybody's partner. But maybe you meant something else.

And "hoygan" language...that just makes your eyes bleed.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 8:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by siesta
I have no idea where it comes from, but it's not "me caguen Dios" but "me cagüen Dios". Cagüen doesn't exist but I assume it's an colloquial expression that has been transformed to make it less serious. .
I've seen it written that way, but assumed it was a "gazapo", although it appears a fair bit on internet.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice

Out of curiosity how to Spanish people say

"hello, nice to met you?"

I took a quick look at a Spanish course online and this is what it said

"Mucho gusto en conocerte"

I am pretty sure your average Spanish person is not going to be that formal. I am guessing there is a less formal way of saying this like there is in English.
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickFX
Out of curiosity how to Spanish people say

"hello, nice to met you?"

I took a quick look at a Spanish course online and this is what it said

"Mucho gusto en conocerte"

I am pretty sure your average Spanish person is not going to be that formal. I am guessing there is a less formal way of saying this like there is in English.
People just say "encantado" (short of encantado de conocerte).
Old Jan 31st 2012, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

NickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really niceNickFX is just really nice

Originally Posted by siesta
People just say "encantado" (short of encantado de conocerte).
Thanks