Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Hard Is Really To Get A Job In Spain?

How Hard Is Really To Get A Job In Spain?

Old Apr 9th 2016, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

carlalilley78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How Hard Is Really To Get A Job In Spain?

Hi, just wanted to ask how hard it really is to get a job in Spain? My Husband Has been doing IT for 30 years and i've had lots of different jobs ie office/admin, telesales, shops, pubs. From some of the posts i've seen people seem to have lots of opinions on expats getting jobs out there and rolling there eyes?? Just a tad confused why..

We have hoping to make the big move this time next year and one of us will need to have a job lined up before we go as we will be renting and have 2 children so will need some money coming in..

Also any great websites for jobs would be good, we have googled but personal recommendations would be great!!

PS we are looking at moving to the Costa Blanca area.

Thanks in advance
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:06 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Hard Is Really To Get A Job In Spain?

Originally Posted by carlalilley78
Hi, just wanted to ask how hard it really is to get a job in Spain? My Husband Has been doing IT for 30 years and i've had lots of different jobs ie office/admin, telesales, shops, pubs. From some of the posts i've seen people seem to have lots of opinions on expats getting jobs out there and rolling there eyes?? Just a tad confused why..

We have hoping to make the big move this time next year and one of us will need to have a job lined up before we go as we will be renting and have 2 children so will need some money coming in..

Also any great websites for jobs would be good, we have googled but personal recommendations would be great!!

Thanks in advance
I guess those views are normally fuelled by the 22% unemployment rate in Spain, and often the lack of speaking the Spanish language.

Even back when I moved to Spain in 2006 I held the view that Spain is a great place to live if you dont have to work. I wouldn't have moved there then if I had needed to work, and it's more so the case now.

I'm sure there are possibilities in the IT sector, but you need to be sure dont you from what you say, hopefully some others will have some pointers for you.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

wasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud ofwasss has much to be proud of

People are rolling their eyes because many new posters don't realize how high the unemployment level is, it ranges from 12% in the North to 40% in the south and Canary Islands. And 99% of British people don't speak Spanish but have this arrogance thinking they can get a good job without speaking it. And therefore the jobs they want to do are bar work or cleaning which are low paid.

Do you both speak Spanish? How old are your children?
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:07 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Here unemployment is now 37% I am told that the area where you intend to settle it is 20%.

You real need to visit and sus it out for yourselves, big big risky move with 2 young ones.

I wish you luck and good fortune.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:09 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boseley
Here unemployment is now 37% I am told that the area where you intend to settle it is 20%.

You real need to visit and sus it out for yourselves, big big risky move with 2 young ones.

I wish you luck and good fortune.

It's that much now? I looked and it's quoting average figures of 22.7, but I guess that varies by region of course
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:14 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently, Spain has the largest job growth in Europe at present. But that's starting from a very, very low point. 20% I believe is the current unemployment rate (average of Spain) but in the south it's much higher.

Now, when jobs come available, they are generally filled by Spanish-speakers (mostly native Spaniards) and then everybody else. There are seasonal, tourist jobs, and then after all that, some rare, limited professional work that can be filled by non-Spanish-speaking workers.

That's why there's rolleyes when the subject comes up. If you're not fluent in Spanish (and I mean fluent, because for every jobseeker that isn't, there are 50 qualified fluent Spanish speakers looking for jobs), then you are at a serious disadvantage in an employers' market. Not to mention, salaries are low (which actually helps fuel the growth in employment in Spain).

That also explains why the vast majority of British expats in Spain bring their money with them. Pensioners, mostly (the old, worn out joke is, "If you want to be a millionaire in Spain, just bring 2 million with you").

Last edited by amideislas; Apr 9th 2016 at 5:17 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:16 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
It's that much now? I looked and it's quoting average figures of 22.7, but I guess that varies by region of course
Yes, we now export people and pineapples, the people, mainly young leave to seek employment elsewhere, I personally know some that have gone to, USA, Australia, Venezuela, England, Scotland, Germany, Northern Spain, and of course the other Canary islands.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by wasss
People are rolling their eyes because many new posters don't realize how high the unemployment level is, it ranges from 12% in the North to 40% in the south and Canary Islands. And 99% of British people don't speak Spanish but have this arrogance thinking they can get a good job without speaking it. And therefore the jobs they want to do are bar work or cleaning which are low paid.

Do you both speak Spanish? How old are your children?
Hi Wasss,
Neither of us speak spanish at the moment (my husband is starting to learn) but definately will be having lessons before we go!
My daughters are 5 and 7 now so will be 6 and 8 when we make the big move.

Last edited by carlalilley78; Apr 9th 2016 at 5:27 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:49 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Even back when I moved to Spain in 2006 I held the view that Spain is a great place to live if you dont have to work. I wouldn't have moved there then if I had needed to work, and it's more so the case now.
Yes, you're spot on. It's the last place I would ever consider moving to for work, more so if I had two young kids to worry about.

There are so many better places to consider, I really wonder why anyone would seriously consider trying to get a job in Spain unless they had fluent Spanish and job skills that were really in demand in Spain.

Thousands of young, well qualified professionals are leaving Spain every day to try and find better jobs elsewhere - why on earth would a non Spanish speaker think that Spain offered any reasonable possibilities.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 5:52 pm
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks in advance
In that case I think that you should be thinking about Gib as it ain't going to happen on the Costa Blanca (as others have said)
Good luck.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Fred James, you are right in one way but you mention why would we even consider it with young children.. well it's to make a better life for them!!!
Old Apr 9th 2016, 6:28 pm
Senior Moment

Fred James, you are right in one way but you mention why would we even consider it with young children.. well it's to make a better life for them!!!
Thats a good idea, yes ... but I think what Fred is saying that it isnt necessarily going to be a better life if you cant find work as there are no fall backs in Spain like there are in the UK
Old Apr 9th 2016, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If your income is greatly reduced because neither of you speaks fluent Spanish and so your job opportunities are in low paid entry jobs, how does that make a better life for the children?

Your husband should be seriously researching what types of IT work he can get without speaking Spanish. If he is working for a large IT company currently then, if the company has offices in Spain, finding out if they recruit non Spanish speaking personnel.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If your income is greatly reduced because neither of you speaks fluent Spanish and so your job opportunities are in low paid entry jobs, how does that make a better life for the children?

Your husband should be seriously researching what types of IT work he can get without speaking Spanish. If he is working for a large IT company currently then, if the company has offices in Spain, finding out if they recruit non Spanish speaking personnel.
We will only be moving if one or both of us have a job before we leave, i understand what you're saying but i did say in my original post that one of us or both would need to have a job before we go.

Last edited by carlalilley78; Apr 9th 2016 at 6:54 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 7:03 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

My answer to the heading of the thread is that it is extremely difficult for Spanish nationals who are highly qualified and of course are fluent Spanish speakers. Ask yourself the question in reverse, how difficult would it be for a Spanish person who is not a fluent English speaker to gain work in the types of occupations that you mention in the UK.

As others have already said it is very difficult for people of working age to gain employment at the moment. Many still live with their parents and grandparents even if they are lucky enough to be in work due to the fact that the pay scales are low.

Good luck with your research.

Rosemary

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.