Reload this Page >

How to give up Spanish residency

How to give up Spanish residency

Old May 30th 2014, 6:30 am
Just Joined

EmmaatCondor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to give up Spanish residency

Hi,

I am having trouble finding the information that I need, so fingers crossed someone here can help! :fingers crossed:

I've recently realised that my Gibraltarian partner has a green paper....which looks to me that he has Spanish residency....when he bought his house in Spain the agent helped him with the paperwork...she told him that he just needed a number (a NIE number I suppose) to buy the house...I remember seeing that type of form before (my mum had one when she first joined me over here) a white sheet of paper with a blurb then a box with the NIE number in).....I am assuming that is all he should have.....but she went ahead and made him a full resident....

Every year a Gestor files non-resident tax papers for him - due to the house...so we thought he was ok......he has an address in Gibraltar (where he lives during the week )....he works in Gibraltar...etc etc

So how do we in effect 'give up' his Spanish residency but still keep enough needed to be a home-owner ?

Any help very much appreciated

Thanks
Old May 30th 2014, 6:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to give up Spanish residency

It sounds like the green form you refer to the only means that at some stage he signed onto the register of foreigners with the police. You are obliged to do that after being in Spain for 90 days. It would also have given him an NIE number at the same time and that is probably why it was suggested he did it.

It does not make him a tax resident which is why he is still paying non resident taxes. To be tax resident, he would have to live in Spain for more than 6 months in a year which clearly he doesn't.

It would probably make no difference to anything if you did nothing but officially he should get removed from the register. That is a simple process, you just fill in the normal application form, but tick the "Baja" box.

Last edited by Fred James; May 30th 2014 at 6:43 am.
Old May 30th 2014, 8:07 am
Just Joined

Hi,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply

I saw that box it says 'Baja Por Cese' and I thought that could possibly be it......but thats as far as I got...

Do we follow the process at the police station again.... but kinda in reverse?

Any idea what paperwork we would take with us? Passport (and copies) the green form (and copies) and ???

Just had another thought.....would he still have the same number (Nie ?) though for the house paperwork ? Just not as a full time resident...

Thanks again

Last edited by EmmaatCondor; May 30th 2014 at 8:15 am.
Old May 30th 2014, 8:40 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Just take the form and a copy, your passport and a copy and the old certificate - that should be enough. Go to your local Policia Nacional (not the Guardia) or to the foreigners department if they have a separate one.

An NIE number is for life - resident or not.
Old May 30th 2014, 8:42 am
Just Joined

You are amazing thanks Fred!

Now onto the task of trying to do his tax forms myself - another thread in a while methinks