Reload this Page >

How to get a landline ??

How to get a landline ??

Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:34 am
Just Joined

llanca is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to get a landline ??

Hi everyone !

First of all, let me introduce me : I am French, and live in Spain since last December. And please excuse me for my english !

Well, everything is nice here, in Llançà, Girona, except I can't have a landline ! It is very important for me fior my job. currently I use the mobile network, but it s not a solution for me.

My situation :
I live in a new construction in a urbanized area.
All my neighboors do have a landline.
My house is not connected to the phone network (no cable between house and phone post, distance : about 5 meters !)

5 months ago, I subscribed a landline with Movistar/Telefonica.
Two technicians came and told me that there was no cable (I knew that !) and then Telefonica will do the job.

Then, few weeks later, my subscription was cancelled !
And no technicians came to install a cable between house and phone post!

I tried to make new subscriptions, but without success until now...

Anyone in the same situation here ???
furthermore, I read that Telefonica has 2 months max to install a landline...

This situation is the same it was in France, but in the 70's !

Thanks !

PS : and before subscribing with Telefonica, I tried Vodafone.
thay told me "ok ok no problem for phone and ADSL". They gave me the router. Then nothing and they told me "Oh..no it's impossible and they took 170,00 on my bank account, for nothing !! Vodafone is a shame ! Fortunately, my bank refunded me this sum and blocked all future debts coming from Vodafone.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to get a landline ??

Originally Posted by llanca
Hi everyone !

First of all, let me introduce me : I am French, and live in Spain since last December. And please excuse me for my english !

Well, everything is nice here, in Llançà, Girona, except I can't have a landline ! It is very important for me fior my job. currently I use the mobile network, but it s not a solution for me.

My situation :
My house is not connected to the phone network (no cable between house and phone post, distance : about 5 meters !)

Two technicians came and told me that there was no cable (I knew that !) and then Telefonica will do the job.

Thanks !

thay told me "ok ok no problem for phone and ADSL". They gave me the router. Then nothing and they told me "Oh..no it's impossible and they took 170,00 on my bank account, for nothing !! Vodafone is a shame ! Fortunately, my bank refunded me this sum and blocked all future debts coming from Vodafone.
Telefonica do this cancelling the contract thing. They did it to us. It's to keep their output figures up. That way they can lie and say all requests for service are dealt with within a certain time. I rang again and told them I know what they're doing and to re-instate the request. And the stroppy woman on the other end told me there was nothing she could do and put the phone down on me. So I rang again and got someone a lot nicer. Tell them the date you first asked for the service and log all calls from now on. After about 3 calls they will relent and can come really quickly after that. Good luck. Don't let them leave you a telephone because you'll pay for it forever. It's much cheaper to buy one.
Old Sep 10th 2012, 9:56 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone !

My situation :

Thanks !

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Sep 10th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

thay told me "ok ok no problem for phone and ADSL". They gave me the router. Then nothing and they told me "Oh..no it's impossible and they took 170,00 on my bank account, for nothing !! Vodafone is a shame ! Fortunately, my bank refunded me this sum and blocked all future debts coming from Vodafone.[/QUOTE]

No! - I don't believe that those nice people at Vodafone did that to you.....
Old Sep 10th 2012, 12:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Telefonica agreed to transfer our account from the flat in Granada to the village. When the engineer arrived he lifted a couple of manholes and walked up and down talking on his mobile shaking his head.

He took the BH to look in the manholes, no cables, no connection available to the house next door but one (next door is a vacant plot) so no cable can be run. She suggested the old favourite - aerial cable bundling across the site or the road - he was most emphatic No Possible

They seem to have no idea where cables are laid, and in the past 6 months have asked us at least 3 times if we wish to have a telephone landline with ADSL.

But we went live with Jetsur using a radio dish pointing to the mast on the edge of the next village.

unlike the UK there is no science in landlines, either the elctrical string is there or it isnt. Even if it is there you still may not get a line if the exchange is full or the line is too long.

good luck
Old Sep 11th 2012, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
unlike the UK there is no science in landlines, either the elctrical string is there or it isnt. Even if it is there you still may not get a line if the exchange is full or the line is too long.
Yes that is what is happening here!
We were lucky that there was already a land line here, those wanting one installed now have no chance at all, the exchange is at full capacity with no more connections available!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Thank you for all your replies !

Anyway, according to the Spanish Law, Telefonica MUST install a landline within two months after request.
This is not the problem of the customer if the exchange is full etc. It is the problem of Telefonica ! They only have to extend their exchanges !

http://www.consumoresponde.es/articu...uien-lo-presta

I will tell you if my problem is solved in the next weeks (or months or years !!)

Thanks !
Old Sep 11th 2012, 9:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, according to the Spanish Law, Telefonica MUST install a landline within two months after request. !
Telefonica have a record of ignoring the law. They have been fined millions of Euros in the past but it makes no difference.

I hope you get lucky but be prepared for a long wait!
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:14 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I hope you get lucky but be prepared for a long wait!
Yeh, like eight years in my case, though to be fair I gave them up as a bad job a long time ago, when the mobile signal improved and I got a dish for Internet.

They paid me one brief visit of about 5minutes and said they be back next week to do the job.
Never seen them since.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:24 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, according to the Spanish Law, Telefonica MUST install a landline within two months after request.
This is not the problem of the customer if the exchange is full etc. It is the problem of Telefonica ! They only have to extend their exchanges !

http://www.consumoresponde.es/articu...uien-lo-presta

I will tell you if my problem is solved in the next weeks (or months or years !!)

Thanks !
well good luck, as I posted, we cannot have a line and Telefonica refuse to install one. If they claim technical reasons then thats it.

life is too short and there are alternatives rather than sit it out waiting with no telephone, no internet, no BE Spain...........

Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:49 am
Just Joined

ok !

Currently, I'm using the mobile network with Vodafone (shame on me !) with their offer at 0.50 euros/day (prepaid !)

But, the speed is limited to ...128 kbs after downloading 20Mo (that's nothing!) !! So, it's verrrrrrry slow !!!

I would need a real access : no speed limitation (minimum 1mb/s) and no download limit, at a correct price.

At first, the mobile access with Vodafone I use was not limited, and the speed was pretty good (> 1mb/s), so the technical infrastructure is ok with them at my location. Problem is the commercial offer !

For those who don't have a landline, which other option did you choose to access the internet ?
Old Sep 11th 2012, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

We had a landline installed years ago and our neighbours then wanted one but were told by Telefonica that it was not possible unless they (the neighbours) dug the road up installed the cable themselves which was supplied by Telefonica and then they (Telefonica) would connect them. Three neighbours then did that and got connected.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 11:01 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

When we built our house 8 years ago we had to have the phone cable laid underground to the house even though the lines between the poles go directly overhead. All of it in special conduit with inspection hatches every 25m.

I think it may now be law that all cable must run underground. We had to do the same for our electricity supply.

It certainly gives Telefonica a good excuse for not giving you a line.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of lightRambling Rose is a glorious beacon of light

Our house was built 5 years ago. The builder laid cable underground from the street to the house (we have a very long drive) and put a pole by the gate.

When Telefonica came to give us our line they said they were not supposed to string the cable from the poles in the street to our pole because it was for the electric cable. We needed another pole and we would have to arrange that ourselves.

However, as we were still on a temporary electricity supply and Endesa had not yet put their cable on our pole, we persuaded the engineer to go ahead anyway. We told him if Endesa insisted on another pole we'd get one then. Luckily Endesa used the same pole with no comment so we got both.

Our neighbours who arrived 8 months later got their Endesa cable fixed to their one pole first. Telefonica then refused to string their cable to that pole and told them they needed another one and they would come back in 2 weeks. Because of the language problem our neighbours thought Telefonica had meant they were coming back to put up the pole (which is what would happen in the UK) But no, so when they returned and there was no new pole they went away again. This happened 3 times and 4 years on our neighbours still don't have a landline.
Old Sep 11th 2012, 5:49 pm
jjh
BE Enthusiast

jjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond reputejjh has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved into our house 8 years ago there was a telephone line installed but the previous owner took the number. We called Telefonica (as it was then) and they asked us where our house is. They really couldn´t compute that so asked if any of our neighbours had a phone and what telephone number was it? So we checked. Our neighbours did have a landline, we got their number and rang Telefonica back. We had the phone installed within the week. Not so simples