Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to find out the cause of death in Spain

How to find out the cause of death in Spain

Old Nov 15th 2013, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

TinkerbellinNeverland is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy How to find out the cause of death in Spain

Hi - I am hoping someone can offer some advice please.

My dad lived in Spain for about 8 years. He died suddenly at his partner's home at the age of 73 (not in suspicious circumstances I should add!). My siblings and I went out to Spain for his funeral and to sort some of his affairs. We did not receive his death certificate until after we arrived home as there had been an error in filling in the details. We were not aware until they arrived that international and Spanish death certificates do not state to cause of death. Naturally, my siblings and I would like to know why he died but his partner has fallen out with us and is unwilling to help so we at a loss as to who we need to contact, etc. I did try phoning the UK consulate in Alicante but they were as useful as a chocolate teapot, but then I guess it is not really within their remit.

Any suggestions most gratefully received!
Old Nov 15th 2013, 7:28 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find out the cause of death in Spain

When a British national dies in Spain, the local tanatorio deals with all the arrangements, and eventually a death certificate is also sent to the UK. There is a central coroners office in the UK who can supply duplicates if the original has been lost, but I don't have the details to hand.

The death certificate does show the cause of death as far as I know.

I'm surprised the consulate in Alicante wasn't helpful, they usually are. Perhaps you should try the British embassy in Madrid, or the Spanish embassy in London.

Don't be afraid to telephone the local tanatorio in Spain who dealt with the funeral, most of them have helpful English speakers. The one in Torrevieja has Yolanda, who is very helpful, just ask the switchboard for 'Ingles, por favor.'
Old Nov 15th 2013, 8:44 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TinkerbellinNeverland
Hi - I am hoping someone can offer some advice please.

My dad lived in Spain for about 8 years. He died suddenly at his partner's home at the age of 73 (not in suspicious circumstances I should add!). My siblings and I went out to Spain for his funeral and to sort some of his affairs. We did not receive his death certificate until after we arrived home as there had been an error in filling in the details. We were not aware until they arrived that international and Spanish death certificates do not state to cause of death. Naturally, my siblings and I would like to know why he died but his partner has fallen out with us and is unwilling to help so we at a loss as to who we need to contact, etc. I did try phoning the UK consulate in Alicante but they were as useful as a chocolate teapot, but then I guess it is not really within their remit.

Any suggestions most gratefully received!
Welcome to the forum, I am so very sorry for your loss and the problems that you are encountering. I have just double checked my husbands local and international death certificates and as I thought they do not put the reason for death. My husband died in intensive care after a very long history with the hospital so there was no doubts at all about what he died of but it is not written down at all.

Were you told the reason for his death when you had the dreadful news or when you came over for the funeral. My suggestion would be to make contact with his GP or the area health authority. The details that you will need to quote should all be on the death certificate.

Rosemary
Old Nov 18th 2013, 2:29 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.helpvegabaja.com/pdf/bereavement.pdf
Old Nov 18th 2013, 4:56 pm
Just Joined

aggboloke is an unknown quantity at this point

One doctor certificated your fatherĀ“s death. If the death was natural it came the signature in the certificate, but if it is not; the police must participated.
You can report in a court where your fahter died.
Good luck!!!!!
Old Nov 25th 2013, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

dypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud ofdypcdiver has much to be proud of

I have been through this some years back, as you have said the cause is not on the certificates, this caused problems with the insurance company. However a copy of the original certificate as signed by the doctor/doctors has to be supplied to the Tanatorio before they can proceed and this copy has the cause of death on it. The Tanatorio forwards this to the justice department who then eventually issue the certificates that do not have the cause of death on them.
In my case I was able to obtain a photo copy of the copy that the Tanatorio had kept for records. This was accepted by the insurance company.
I suggest you approach the Tanatorio for a copy. Best of luck.