Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to find a good lawyer?

How to find a good lawyer?

Old Jul 29th 2017, 8:42 am
Just Joined

Sailor2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to find a good lawyer?

Can anybody recommend a good lawyer in the Velez Malaga area to act for me with the purchase of a property
English speaking would be nessesary
Thanks!
Old Jul 29th 2017, 8:47 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How to find a good lawyer?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 29th 2017, 8:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sailor2
Can anybody recommend a good lawyer in the Velez Malaga area to act for me with the purchase of a property
English speaking would be nessesary
Thanks!
A good place to start is the Govt published list - check Andalucia :

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ist-of-lawyers
Old Jul 30th 2017, 5:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

This was in Alicante Province.Some years ago I sold a property to a newly arrived English couple who went to the Consulate list of recommended lawyers who would assist in English,to do the work at the Notary etc.He was not English or Spanish although properly qualified with the Spanish College of Lawyers.He passed me a dud cheque! & I ended up taking him to court where I did get justice.I reported this to our Consulate who said"Oh dear,we had better take his name off the list".So my advice is get a recommendation from someone who has had reliable results from a lawyer personally.
Old Jul 30th 2017, 7:00 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

A good gestor will do it all for a lot less money. You only need a lawyer if there are major problems with it.

The system in Spain is totally different to the UK. There is nothing in Spain which is equivalent to a solicitor in the UK. You don't use a lawyer in the UK, it's usually a conveyancing clerk in the solicitor's office.

In Spain a lawyer is the sort of person you use if you are in any sort of court case or dispute. They charge accordingly.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 4:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right Fred,I was answering Sailor2 as he specifically asked about Lawyers.One time when I had found a buyer privately for a property I was selling,I asked a Scandinavian local man who operated his own real estate business,to attend the Notary with me as he could also act as interpreter as required.I knew him personally so was able to get a good price for his services & he earned an extra fee.So there are various methods that can be used Sailor.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 6:58 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dougal03
Quite right Fred,I was answering Sailor2 as he specifically asked about Lawyers.
Yes, most people automatically ask for a lawyer when they are buying property. My point is that, in most cases, a lawyer is overkill and very much more than a gestor.