Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How easy was it to get Married

How easy was it to get Married

Old Nov 21st 2013, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How easy was it to get Married

Originally Posted by caroline c
Hi Carol, firstly I would say give yourself plenty of time to get the paperwork sorted out. My daughter got married in Sept. this year to a Spanish man. They got married in Madrid and she has lived there for six years. I think it took her around 6-8 months to get the paperwork done. It was very complicated and very expensive. I think she had to take an oath or something at the british consultate in Madrid which cost a lot of money. She also found the consulate to be not very helpful, didnt seem to know much about anything. Her personal documents had to be authorised. They seemed to get sent from one office to another, a lot of waiting around etc. They had a civil ceremony in the town hall which was also expensive. Once you finally get the papers sorted you then have a time limit before they expire. After the ceremony you then have so many days to register the wedding and if you dont do it in time you are not married. All in all my daughter and her husband found it a very stressful process, he is Spanish and she is fluent in Spanish. They dont make it easy. We have spoken to people who said how easy it was and didnt take much time but to be quite honest I wonder if some of these people are actually properly married. Good luck.
Crikey, I thought it was very cheap and easy!
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

missbusybusy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by caroline c View Post
Hi Carol, firstly I would say give yourself plenty of time to get the paperwork sorted out. My daughter got married in Sept. this year to a Spanish man. They got married in Madrid and she has lived there for six years. I think it took her around 6-8 months to get the paperwork done. It was very complicated and very expensive. I think she had to take an oath or something at the british consultate in Madrid which cost a lot of money. She also found the consulate to be not very helpful, didnt seem to know much about anything. Her personal documents had to be authorised. They seemed to get sent from one office to another, a lot of waiting around etc. They had a civil ceremony in the town hall which was also expensive. Once you finally get the papers sorted you then have a time limit before they expire. After the ceremony you then have so many days to register the wedding and if you dont do it in time you are not married. All in all my daughter and her husband found it a very stressful process, he is Spanish and she is fluent in Spanish. They dont make it easy. We have spoken to people who said how easy it was and didnt take much time but to be quite honest I wonder if some of these people are actually properly married. Good luck.
thank you for the information, seems very stressful and complicated, a rethink required I think !!

thank you to all who have replied
Old Nov 22nd 2013, 8:58 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Actually if truth were known, it's all part of an endurance test to see if you have the strength of character, patience and perseverance to stand up to all of the trials and tribulations of married life before signing on the dotted line.

Quite a good idea methinks, just a pity they don't do likewise back in the UK.
Old Nov 23rd 2013, 9:58 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missbusybusy
thank you for the information, seems very stressful and complicated, a rethink required I think !!

thank you to all who have replied
Caroline C´s daughters experience is a reflection of my own though the consulate were very helpful and seemed to know exactly what was required.
And yes, I had to put my hand on a bible and swear an oath!
I´d just like to say don´t let it put you off! It´s worth it in the end and my wedding day was truley the happiest day of my life
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IamStu
And yes, I had to put my hand on a bible and swear an oath!
That's strange, I didnt. If they would have made me do such a thing then I would have told them to F*** off
Old Nov 24th 2013, 10:51 am
BE Enthusiast

lyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this pointlyric030250 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bible not involved with us either
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:45 am
Account Closed

IamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond reputeIamStu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
That's strange, I didnt. If they would have made me do such a thing then I would have told them to F*** off
I did raise an eyebrow and words similar to what you´re saying CM did cross my mind
Old Nov 25th 2013, 8:48 am
Just Joined

carol zhang is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by me me
Surely the hardest part is finding a man worthy of the honour.
how to find a qualified guy ? it is not easy .
Old Nov 25th 2013, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

BigD is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lyric050203
Here is some guidance I wrote a little time ago. This is our experience. I would recommend going via one of the agencies as they must know some short cuts, particularly the residency one.

This is valid for a civil wedding and still is as far as I know.

1. You must have been resident for two years. This normally means having Empadronamiento for two years, however as you have to have a NIE number to purchase a property it is possible to persuade the authorities that you have been resident for longer than the date on your Empadonamiento (We did).

2. You need your original Birth Certificates

3. You need a Certificate of No Impediment. (this comes from your local Registry Office, You are interviewed just as if you were having a Registry Office wedding, they post the “Bans” in the office, and three weeks later issue you both with an individual certificate).

4. If either or both of you have been previously married then you will need Divorce papers. (I presume there is something like a Divorce Certificate, never having been in that situation don’t know)

Note that the Certificate of No Impediment has a time limit of three months and they must be valid when presented to the Authorities.

All English Language Papers need a Legal Spanish Translation. That is that they need to be translated and notarised. The notary has to be acceptable to the Spanish Authorities. The costs for this vary wildly, but I know someone who will do it quite cheaply based on a ‘Word’ word count. Mine was £80, PM for details.

The Birth Certificates, Certificates of No Impediment, and divorce Certificates need to be validated by the attachment of the “Hague Apostile” this is done at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in London. Their web site gives the approximate time for postal validations, I found it, at best, optimistic, and details of price (extortionate).They are virtually uncontactable by phone.

With this all in order you can take it to the JP, when the JP (or his Clerk) is satisfied that all is in order, he sends it all to the local Judge (in our case in Torrox). When he is satisfied that all is in order you are summoned to a meeting with him, just like the meeting with the Registrar in step three. Presuming that he is satisfied that all is in order all documents now go to the provincial administration centre(in our case Malaga) for permission to be granted. This is sent to your Spanish address, with a copy to your local Town Hall, and away you go Arrange venue and time with the JP.

It is involved and time consuming but more satisfying than paying someone €400+ costs to do it for you.

It has taken me just over a year so far, and while we have had our copy of the permission for four weeks the Frigiliana Town Hall don’t seem to have theirs, so we still don’t know if Jan 4th is possible.
It wasn't and we had to wait until 10th March.
It has been a nightmare we are still waiting for the final okay from the courts.The red tape involveds is unbelievable!
After one years wait, some advice , if it is only a Civil type Wedding , Go to Gibralter.
Good Luck!
Old Nov 27th 2013, 2:54 pm
Account Closed

This might sound strange but there are a lot of "actor" type priests!
They will do you a service at a location of your choice and no one is any the wiser that it´s just a show.
Deal with the legal bs either before you go or when you get back?
Besides, if you consider a wedding to be the declaration of your vows before god, I think he´ll be able to hear you where ever you are
Old Nov 28th 2013, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll find the wording from the Common Prayer Book is 'before God and this Company' "and no one is any the wiser that it´s just a show" - So you will also be deceiving all your guests. Hmmmmmm!!. Yes, it does sound strange.
Old Nov 28th 2013, 9:40 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by rspltd
I think you'll find the wording from the Common Prayer Book is 'before God and this Company' "and no one is any the wiser that it´s just a show" - So you will also be deceiving all your guests. Hmmmmmm!!. Yes, it does sound strange.
I disagree. To me the day is simply a day whereby two people in love make an oath to each other, to spend their remaining days together. Nothing more, nothing less. The only deception therefore, if getting married on false pretenses, is to each other. Certainly not the guests!
Old Nov 30th 2013, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

funinthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud offuninthesun has much to be proud of

There seem to be two different experiences here about getting married in Spain. The guys that found it very complicated and time consuming getting all the correct paperwork in order then the guys who said it was quick and simple, I would be concerned that I was actually officialy married.