Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How do you store flour in spain

How do you store flour in spain

Old Aug 23rd 2006, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default How do you store flour in spain

Does any one know how you can store flour here without weavel's getting into it. I have tried storing in plastic boxes and they still get there. I suppose its possible they are already in the flour when I bought it
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 7:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you store flour in spain

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Does any one know how you can store flour here without weavel's getting into it. I have tried storing in plastic boxes and they still get there. I suppose its possible they are already in the flour when I bought it
On of the few items we that we buy that we only buy British now, have tried several spanish ones, but not really found one we can get on with. So its McDougall's for us, but in the year we have been here have never had a problem with weevils, even though the flour is kept just in the packet in the cupboard. You could get one of those Tupperware style storage boxes for it, plenty of them in the shops.
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Weevils are harmless. They don't carry disease, bite, nor sting. In many cultures the larvae are sought out as a delicacy and I'm sure that sailors used to appreciate the extra crunchy delicious-nous (?!) and protein thay they added to their ships biscuits.

Therefore, I recommend that you bake some bread with said flour and tell everyone that the black bits are sesame seeds
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

shoo will become famous soon enoughshoo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Unexpat
Weevils are harmless. They don't carry disease, bite, nor sting. In many cultures the larvae are sought out as a delicacy and I'm sure that sailors used to appreciate the extra crunchy delicious-nous (?!) and protein thay they added to their ships biscuits.

Therefore, I recommend that you bake some bread with said flour and tell everyone that the black bits are sesame seeds
Ah, but what if you’re a vegetarian?
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:01 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shoo
Ah, but what if you’re a vegetarian?
Spit em out
Old Aug 23rd 2006, 9:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

1 packet was McDougals and the other a spanish brand (Eroski) and they were both in airtight tupper ware type boxes and they were only bought about 3 weeks ago. And no I do not fancy nasty little bugs in my pastry or cakes however crunchy they might be.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

accommodation-in-spain is an unknown quantity at this point

We have had the same problem with pasta too - I was really surprised when i saw this little bugs wriggling about in my pasta and flour.

The scariest thing was that my son wanted to keep them as pets - eeeekk.

Am I right in thinking that the eggs are already in the flour and pasta so they will hatch anyway? Maybe an airtight container would stop them hatching?
Old Aug 25th 2006, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Unexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really niceUnexpat is just really nice

Originally Posted by accommodation-in-spain
We have had the same problem with pasta too - I was really surprised when i saw this little bugs wriggling about in my pasta and flour.

The scariest thing was that my son wanted to keep them as pets - eeeekk.

Am I right in thinking that the eggs are already in the flour and pasta so they will hatch anyway? Maybe an airtight container would stop them hatching?
Unlikely. There would be more than enough oxygen in the container to support a few insects for quite some time.

The eggs hatch into larvae in a few days and those probably pupate into beetles within a few more.

Better than plastic airtight boxes are glass jars with airtight lids, in my opinion, but only as a means of keeping them out.

Throw out all your infested food (or any suspect food that may also be infected - open cereal boxes, rice, etc.), hoover all your cupboards, re-pack everything and hope that you don't get an infestation that you can't get rid of.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 10:28 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

The best way of killing them is put the flour in the freezer for 4 days or microwave it for 5 minutes.

It won't get rid of them but they certainly won't breed!
Old Aug 25th 2006, 1:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
The best way of killing them is put the flour in the freezer for 4 days or microwave it for 5 minutes.

thats wicked.
Old Aug 25th 2006, 3:07 pm
Failed Lifeguard

Pool Cleaner is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James

more of a washing machine man myself!

Last edited by Pool Cleaner; Aug 25th 2006 at 3:07 pm. Reason: typing!