Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How do you know if your qualifications are worth anything?

How do you know if your qualifications are worth anything?

Old Jan 20th 2012, 5:14 pm
Banned

b0x3s is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do you know if your qualifications are worth anything?

I want to work in the tourism industry in Spain in the future and I was wondering if these qualifications I did in Australia last year would be worth getting translated:

http://gcit.edu.au/cis/?script_name=...course_id=2869
http://gcit.edu.au/cis/?script_name=...course_id=3457

I'm guessing a lot of stuff is worthless in Spain, do these fall under that category? If so, does Spain have any courses like this?
Old Jan 21st 2012, 5:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How do you know if your qualifications are worth anything?

Originally Posted by b0x3s
I want to work in the tourism industry in Spain in the future and I was wondering if these qualifications I did in Australia last year would be worth getting translated:

I'm guessing a lot of stuff is worthless in Spain, do these fall under that category? If so, does Spain have any courses like this?
as you suspect these short courses probably don't count for much in Spain - even degree level courses have to be 'homologated' & sometimes people find themselves having to do extra modules to equalise their degree (that's not saying that degrees from outside Spain are inferior - often just a bit different)

at the level you are working, experience, good references & the ability to speak Spanish would count for more
Old Jan 21st 2012, 6:11 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

I have a degree and Masters Degree and they mean absolutely nothing here. Luckily I am not trying to use them for anything but if I wanted to then the homologación process is impossible and I am from the UK
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 2:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahunt
I have a degree and Masters Degree and they mean absolutely nothing here. Luckily I am not trying to use them for anything but if I wanted to then the homologación process is impossible and I am from the UK
Hmm, thats strange. I also have a degree and masters degree and they are worth exactly the same

It depends what you have them in. If you degree is in law then yes you would have to do an extra few years at uni (although not all of them) as Spanish law is different. However, most degrees can be homologated, and if looking for work in the private sector there probably isnt a need to homologate them anyway.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

grahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nicegrahunt is just really nice

My masters is Leisure in Europe with an emphasis on urban development using big events. The modules included Sociology of Leisure, Economics of Leisure, Legal Aspects etc... Unless I do a whole Masters in Economics or Sociology for example it cannot be convalidated.
You are right though, in private business it is worth the same as anyone else´s. For government jobs, teaching for example, they are not valid.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 9:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Can anyone top that, a degree and a Masters? Not another pi$$ing contest? I can't even come close.
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hey they are worth sod all so it doesn't really matter does it
Old Feb 3rd 2012, 10:37 pm
HOODIE

Lushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightLushdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by agoreira
Can anyone top that, a degree and a Masters? Not another pi$$ing contest? I can't even come close.
Can you not be a prick for a day? I bet you don't open your mouth like this in pubs and when you're out, you'd get smashed up flower.
Old Feb 4th 2012, 12:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahunt
Hey they are worth sod all so it doesn't really matter does it
It`s what you achieve with that counts + most people with time and funds could get one.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 7:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Ant courses would, of course, be in Spanish, so you would need to be fluent, and the jobs situation in Spain is dire, with an official 23% unemployed but with a real situation of probably at least 10% more than that then the chances are low. Even if you are looking at getting a job with UK tourists, you would need a good level of Spanish to deal with the bureaucracy and with other firms.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 3:36 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
I can, no masters, but........................when will I see you again? (three degrees)
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
I can, no masters, but........................when will I see you again? (three degrees)
I'm still trying to graduate from the College of Knowledge and the University of Life!
Old Feb 5th 2012, 4:57 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I find it a bit sad when highly qualified people want to bury themselves in ex-pat land, young people that is. Ok when you have reached 50 (ish) and been amongst the movers and shakers and winding down.
Old Feb 5th 2012, 5:02 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I find it a bit sad when highly qualified people want to bury themselves in ex-pat land, young people that is. Ok when you have reached 50 (ish) and been amongst the movers and shakers and winding down.
and the shovers and makers even

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.