Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How do I get myself a Spanish doctor?

How do I get myself a Spanish doctor?

Old Mar 1st 2011, 2:01 pm
Just Joined

MadridBear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do I get myself a Spanish doctor?

Hi

I have been here for 6 years, since January my private insurance has been cancelled so I need to get myself a doctor through seguridad social which I am due as I work and pay my SS.

The only problem is that I have been given an appointment 3 months from now for my NIE renewal.
The card would be out of date by now but is lost anyway.

Where would I need to go to register with a doctor?
What would I need to take with me to get a doctor?

All advice welcome

Thanks
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:57 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of
Default Re: How do I get myself a Spanish doctor?

Originally Posted by MadridBear
Hi

I have been here for 6 years, since January my private insurance has been cancelled so I need to get myself a doctor through seguridad social which I am due as I work and pay my SS.

The only problem is that I have been given an appointment 3 months from now for my NIE renewal.
The card would be out of date by now but is lost anyway.

Where would I need to go to register with a doctor?
What would I need to take with me to get a doctor?

All advice welcome

Thanks

Sounds like you are getting some duff info here.
Your NIE does not run out, If you have lost your original form you can get a replacement. Where does 3 months come from ?
Go to a hestor pay your €50 or so & they will sort it all out for you, might take a week if they are busy. Or do a search on here & do it your self.

Go to your nearest centre d' salud. Sorry can't remember what you need to sign on, it will be on this site somewhere. Think it's just your NIE number but could be wrong . They will give you a temporary SIP card & assign you a Doc, you will receive a permanent card in the post ( mine took about a month to turn up) As you work your SS number would have been on the NIE card.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:10 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grebo
Sounds like you are getting some duff info here.
Your NIE does not run out, If you have lost your original form you can get a replacement. Where does 3 months come from ?
Go to a hestor pay your €50 or so & they will sort it all out for you, might take a week if they are busy. Or do a search on here & do it your self.

Go to your nearest centre d' salud. Sorry can't remember what you need to sign on, it will be on this site somewhere. Think it's just your NIE number but could be wrong . They will give you a temporary SIP card & assign you a Doc, you will receive a permanent card in the post ( mine took about a month to turn up) As you work your SS number would have been on the NIE card.
No duff info mate.
Maybe I wasn't to clear on the original post though.
Madrid is a farce.
There is only one place where communitarios can go for renewing my NIE (card expired after 5 years) so need to get a certificate to replace it)
No banks etc will entertain me for a proper bank account and many other places give me stick when trying to use other forms of I.D so assumed it would be the same for a doctor.
I have no card or certificate so can't prove my number or identify myself...so on and so forth so the doctor could be difficult like everything else here in Spains lovely capital!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:33 am
I believe.

Grebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud ofGrebo has much to be proud of

Obviously very different from Alicante then.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grebo
Obviously very different from Alicante then.
Different from just about any part of Spain mate.
It's a bit weird.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I have no card or certificate so can't prove my number or identify myself...so on and so forth so the doctor could be difficult like everything else here in Spains lovely capital!
Very weird

This took me all of 5 minutes in Barcelona.

If I remember correctly, I just took my social security card, NIE and padron (has to be within the last 3 months) to the local health centre where I was assigned a Dr who I then saw the same day. It was very easy.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:43 am
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Very weird

This took me all of 5 minutes in Barcelona.

If I remember correctly, I just took my social security card, NIE and padron (has to be within the last 3 months) to the local health centre where I was assigned a Dr who I then saw the same day. It was very easy.
They don't have NIE and without it.....nada.
I have never heard of any one having to wait 3 months for appointment to renew NIE but if that's the case you are stuffed till you get that.
Other choice is to pay for private GP whilst you wait.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:44 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

No duff info mate.
Madrid is a farce.
There is only one place where communitarios can go for renewing my NIE (card expired after 5 years) so need to get a certificate to replace it)
No banks etc will entertain me for a proper bank account and many other places give me stick when trying to use other forms of I.D so assumed it would be the same for a doctor.
You do not get an NIE card, just a certificate, you may be thinking of the residency card, which disappeared several years ago. NIEs do not expire, but residency cards did after 5 years, but they don't exist now in any case for UK citizens
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 10:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
I have never heard of any one having to wait 3 months for appointment to renew NIE but if that's the case you are stuffed till you get that.
Other choice is to pay for private GP whilst you wait.
Welcome to the world of Madrid.

Originally Posted by mikelincs
You do not get an NIE card, just a certificate, you may be thinking of the residency card, which disappeared several years ago. NIEs do not expire, but residency cards did after 5 years, but they don't exist now in any case for UK citizens
I've said all that above.

Had a card.
It expired.
Now need the certificate. (because the cards are no longer given to europeans...)
Need to wait 3 months for an appointment.
etc etc.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the world of Madrid.

I've said all that above.

Had a card.
It expired.
Now need the certificate. (because the cards are no longer given to europeans...)
Need to wait 3 months for an appointment.
etc etc.
As you already have an NIE number and just need the certificate, I suggest going to your local police station and telling them that, then they just print one off for you. That's what I did. Ok it was in Barcelona, not Madrid, but worth a try if you havent already
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:12 am
Just Joined

As you already have an NIE number and just need the certificate, I suggest going to your local police station and telling them that, then they just print one off for you. That's what I did. Ok it was in Barcelona, not Madrid, but worth a try if you havent already
I've tried repeatedly.
Local. central. I've tried turning up to the place that issues them at 6am.
You have to phone for an appointment, "even just for this paper" and wait for it.

Unless you can shell out 300 euro to an agency who know someone etc...
Which I can't.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I've tried repeatedly.
Local. central. I've tried turning up to the place that issues them at 6am.
You have to phone for an appointment, "even just for this paper" and wait for it.

Unless you can shell out 300 euro to an agency who know someone etc...
Which I can't.
Crikey

The other option is to go to your healthcentre with the outofdate card, like someone said the number doesnt actually expire - and explain the situation to them, maybe they'll let you sign on with the Dr anyway.

If you've tried that, then not sure what your options are!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:22 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey

The other option is to go to your healthcentre with the outofdate card, like someone said the number doesnt actually expire - and explain the situation to them, maybe they'll let you sign on with the Dr anyway.

If you've tried that, then not sure what your options are!
Doh! he said he's lost it!!

I think your best bet is a gestor.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Doh! he said he's lost it!!

I think your best bet is a gestor.
Thanks.
Might be best.
Start from the begining and work my way through everything.

First stop. Gestor. Certificate (Nie)
Empadronamiento.
Soc Seg office.
Doctor.

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:48 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

No duff info mate.
Madrid is a farce.
ohhh you mean the old Residencia - not the NIE at all!!

yes, you do need to go sign on the resident list - I am gobsmacked that you have to wait 3 months for an appointment!! especially since you are supposed to sign the register afer 90 days here!! what are you supposed to do - make the appointment as you get off the plane

anyhow -your NIE is a different thing entirely, and as someone else said, doesn't expire

do you have proof of the appointment - perhaps this will suffice?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.