Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How to claim social security

How to claim social security

Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:07 am
Just Joined

leem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to claim social security

Unfortunately i have just become one of the latest victims of the credit crunch. Can anyone advise me on what criteria i need to fulfil to claim unemployment benefit, where i need to go (estepona is my locality) and what i need to take with me.

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 16th 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

DWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to allDWPinSpain is a name known to all
Default Re: How to claim social security

You should go to your nearest INEM office ASAP (see www.inem.es for addresses) and complete the application process. When you apply, you should state any periods worked in the UK or other EU Member States. This is because the period of time a customer is entitled to receive unemployment benefit in Spain depends on the number of days they have contributed to the social security system of any EU Member State. If you have worked less than a year in Spain they may initially refuse your application if you don't mention the contributions you have made elsewhere.

In order to accredit periods worked in another EU Member State, you have two options:
 Complete form CA3916 (download from www.hmrc.gov.uk) and take E301 to INEM as soon as it arrives.
 Apply for E301 through the INEM office –they will then deal with your claim internally.

You should apply for unemployment benefit as soon as you are made unemployed, as you only have 15 working days from being made unemployed to make the application or it may be refused outright. An initial application can be made even if you do not have all the correct documentation, including the E301.

In other words, do it today.
Old Mar 16th 2009, 6:15 pm
Just Joined

leem is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your help. Much appreciated
Old Mar 18th 2009, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Raffer is an unknown quantity at this point

what is the un employed benefits like because where im moving to i know i have work till october but then well im hoping to find something from then on and wondered is it roughly the same as in england i think thata about 100 gbp a fortnight
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

featherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond reputefeatherbum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DWPinSpain
If you have worked less than a year in Spain they may initially refuse your application if you don't mention the contributions you have made elsewhere.

That's really good info, thanks!

just a quickie re:above- does any work done in the uk previous to the year requested count? or they only care about what you have done for the last year? thanks.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:53 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Raffer
what is the un employed benefits like because where im moving to i know i have work till october but then well im hoping to find something from then on and wondered is it roughly the same as in england i think thata about 100 gbp a fortnight
I think you have to have being paying into the spanish social security system for a minimum of two years, I dont know how much it is tho, but by all accounts it isnt as much as the UK and theres a limited time period you can claim!?
Jo
Old Mar 18th 2009, 2:54 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by featherbum
That's really good info, thanks!

just a quickie re:above- does any work done in the uk previous to the year requested count? or they only care about what you have done for the last year? thanks.

Good question!

Jo x
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Raffer

For every four months you have worked and paid SS you receive one month of unemployment benefit. You receive 70% (or 75%) of your last salary based on the figure for the base de cotización (usually more than the net figure you receive each month).

All sorts of factors influence the amount you receive, such as was your last work contract indefinido or temporary?, was your employment period continuous? did you work part time or full time? do you have dependents? and a whole bunch of other stuff too.

A few weeks ago I found an online calculator for working out exactly how much you would receive based on your individual circumstances. I don't seem to be able to find it again now but I'll keep looking for you.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Veleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to beholdVeleta is a splendid one to behold

Ok, got it.

Here is the calculator for unemployment benefit based on your own personal circumstances: http://www.inem.es/DGSimuladorWeb/se...o=0#pregactual.

You have to answer about 10 questions and then it tells you how much you will get and for how long.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:18 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerezgirl
Ok, got it.

Here is the calculator for unemployment benefit based on your own personal circumstances: http://www.inem.es/DGSimuladorWeb/se...o=0#pregactual.

You have to answer about 10 questions and then it tells you how much you will get and for how long.
Link is Broken.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Link is Broken.
Ok, I'll try again. How about this:

http://www.inem.es/DGSimuladorWeb/se...o=0#pregactual
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:26 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I'll try again. How about this:

Sorry, just get "error 500" show.
Old Mar 18th 2009, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jdr
Sorry, just get "error 500" show.
Hmmm, don't know what the problem is in that case. When I click on the link I get taken through to INEM's calculator.

Maybe someone else could try and see what result they get?

Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:03 pm
Banned

Hmmm, don't know what the problem is in that case. When I click on the link I get taken through to INEM's calculator.

Maybe someone else could try and see what result they get?

nope, it didnt happen for me sorry

Jo
Old Mar 18th 2009, 7:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by jojojojojojojojojojojojo
nope, it didnt happen for me sorry

Jo
Godammit!! The link works fine for me!!! What's going on here?

OK, back to basics. Here is the web address for the homepage: www.inem.es.

Click on: Tramites en linea
Click on: Calcule su prestación
Click on the underlined bit where it says: "Si finaliza su contrato y quiere conocer qué prestación o subsidio le corresponde pulse aquí "

Now answer the questions to get a personalised quote for how much unemployment benefit you would get if you were made unemployed, and for how long.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.