Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How can you watch British TV in Northern Spain?

How can you watch British TV in Northern Spain?

Old May 20th 2008, 12:35 am
Just Joined

sslucas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How can you watch British TV in Northern Spain?

My Parents moved to Asturias two years ago but have been unable to get British TV out there. Have you or anyone managed to find a local satellite installer who can set up British TV.

They are in their eighties and do not really speak Spanish, and being able to watch British TV would make such a difference in their lives.

They live on the top floor of a three storey apartment, and have been told they can put a dish on the roof, but a local installer told them you cannot get British TV in the region . From what I have read on the net that does not seem to be so, The Astra 2 satellites would transmit most of the channels they would want to view for free.

Can anyone out there give me advice?

Thanks
Old May 20th 2008, 2:54 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Re: How can you watch British TV in Northern Spain?

Originally Posted by sslucas
My Parents moved to Asturias two years ago but have been unable to get British TV out there. Have you or anyone managed to find a local satellite installer who can set up British TV.

They are in their eighties and do not really speak Spanish, and being able to watch British TV would make such a difference in their lives.

They live on the top floor of a three storey apartment, and have been told they can put a dish on the roof, but a local installer told them you cannot get British TV in the region . From what I have read on the net that does not seem to be so, The Astra 2 satellites would transmit most of the channels they would want to view for free.

Thanks
The man from this site http://www.satandpcguy.com/ I am sure will be along to assist you soonest
Old May 20th 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Galicia for years, and we did not know of anyway of getting British TV. (Although I must admit we did not try very hard) The point I want to make is about the aerial, you may not get permission from the community of the flats where they live.
Old May 20th 2008, 7:52 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Further to my previous post I meant to say that the dish would have to be a really big one, because not local supplier would be able to bounce the signal to them. I dont think you would get permission because it is so much bigger than the normal ones.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sslucas

Thanks
We live in Galicia, along the coast from Ferrol. We have a 1.8m dish and have no problem receiving English TV. You can get a Free to View box for about 40 euros and you will be able to receive BBC, ITV and now Channel 4. Our dish though cost about 700 euros.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

spanishfamily is on a distinguished road

Do they know that if you get Digital+ then you can get Sky news, BBC World, CNN, Fox news, and you can also watch lots of series on Fox, AXN and Nat Geo and movies on the many movie channels (the vast majority of which can be viewed in English). I know its not quite the same as the full British package but it suits us OK!
Old May 20th 2008, 8:32 am
Banned

Originally Posted by battlezone123
We live in Galicia, along the coast from Ferrol. We have a 1.8m dish and have no problem receiving English TV. You can get a Free to View box for about 40 euros and you will be able to receive BBC, ITV and now Channel 4. Our dish though cost about 700 euros.
Thanks for that battlezone, we still have a house in Ferrol but I did not try too hard to get British TV,but knowing that we will look into it further.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:34 am
Banned

Did you mean 40euro a month or a one off payment. As we spend most of our time in Alicante, 40 a month is something we would have to think about.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:34 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Here in Galicia, which is not so far away you can spot the Brits by the size of the dish. It is something like 2.5 metres in dia. Not something I would want on my front lawn!
Old May 20th 2008, 8:42 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
Here in Galicia, which is not so far away you can spot the Brits by the size of the dish. It is something like 2.5 metres in dia. Not something I would want on my front lawn!
That is what I thought, but maybe things have moved on, anyway when I go to Galicia I will look into it.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

battlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond reputebattlezone123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
Did you mean 40euro a month or a one off payment. As we spend most of our time in Alicante, 40 a month is something we would have to think about.
One off payment for 40 euros.

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
We have no problems with our 1.8m dish. So long as it is properly aligned we receive all the channels.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by poshnbucks
The man from this site http://www.satandpcguy.com/ I am sure will be along to assist you soonest
Thanks for your reply. and to all the others who replied. It seems satandpcguy only covers the Costa Blanca, but they live in Asurias, near Gijon. Is there anyone in that region?
Old May 20th 2008, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Are they computer literate with internet? I wonder if a Slingbox would work? Usually works all over the world, even planes, so might be an option.
Old May 20th 2008, 8:55 am
Just Joined

That sounds encourageing. I just need to find someone who can install one in Asturias (near Gijon). That might be the hard bit. Thanks Battlezone.
Old May 20th 2008, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pugsy
Are they computer literate with internet? I wonder if a Slingbox would work? Usually works all over the world, even planes, so might be an option.
They do not have cable in the area but should do in the next year or so (a long time to them though). So I guess that would mean using a landine which would that be too slow and expensive?

I am visiting them in July and could set it all up for them if it were a viable option.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.