Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How can I help my aged parents in Spain?

How can I help my aged parents in Spain?

Old Jun 20th 2012, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

PauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant future
Default How can I help my aged parents in Spain?

hello

i was looking for advice as new to this forum. I am assuming some of you live in Spain and have retired.

My parents retired to Moraira area over 25 years ago. I have not had much contact with them except few phone calls with my mother. I left home at 16 and have rarely seen them. Now my mother has Alzheimer's and my father has put her in a home as he can no longer cope. He is also quite forgetful and finds it difficult to look after himself.

They no longer have a base in UK and they have not considered returning. They do not have a network of friends or other family. I advised my father a few years ago to sell the property and downsize to a smaller place with a full-time nurse or move to a care assisted place but they have not.

What happens to the remaining person who might not be capable of looking after themselves? I am planning on visiting but who do I see and what can i do?

I dont speak spanish and my father does not really communicate with me and rarely listens to any advice. I dont know anything yet about Spanish Law or EU regulations. I live in asia. I assume if he can sell his house he can fund a care home. I think it is 2k a month for care for my mother so I assume 4k for the both of them. That is only a few years worth of care home funds. He wont say what money he has.

Do you just have to wait for an emergency? What do the Spanish 'social services' do in these situations? If i did find a way to persuade him to sell his house and move to a home what happens to them when the house money runs out? How do you know people are cared for properly in these homes? They are not cared for well in the UK but at least I can complain to someone and talk to the people in charge.

Expats in Spain should consider what may happen as they get older or ill and provide some 'guide' to the remaining family what to do. If families are close they may hopefully have talked to each other and have good relationships with each other.

If they are not close families they need to consider that 'next of kin' still needs to know what is possible in foreign countries and to be clear about their wishes before they might not be able to communicate.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 5:11 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How can I help my aged parents in Spain?

Hi Paulette,

Welcome to BE.

I am sorry to read about your parents.

I can't help I'm afraid as I live in the US, but I've moved your post into a thread of it's own for you, and hopefully some of our members will be able to point you in the right direction.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:34 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PauletteH
hello

i was looking for advice as new to this forum. I am assuming some of you live in Spain and have retired.

My parents retired to Moraira area over 25 years ago. I have not had much contact with them except few phone calls with my mother. I left home at 16 and have rarely seen them. Now my mother has Alzheimer's and my father has put her in a home as he can no longer cope. He is also quite forgetful and finds it difficult to look after himself.

They no longer have a base in UK and they have not considered returning. They do not have a network of friends or other family. I advised my father a few years ago to sell the property and downsize to a smaller place with a full-time nurse or move to a care assisted place but they have not.

What happens to the remaining person who might not be capable of looking after themselves? I am planning on visiting but who do I see and what can i do?

I dont speak spanish and my father does not really communicate with me and rarely listens to any advice. I dont know anything yet about Spanish Law or EU regulations. I live in asia. I assume if he can sell his house he can fund a care home. I think it is 2k a month for care for my mother so I assume 4k for the both of them. That is only a few years worth of care home funds. He wont say what money he has.

Do you just have to wait for an emergency? What do the Spanish 'social services' do in these situations? If i did find a way to persuade him to sell his house and move to a home what happens to them when the house money runs out? How do you know people are cared for properly in these homes? They are not cared for well in the UK but at least I can complain to someone and talk to the people in charge.

Expats in Spain should consider what may happen as they get older or ill and provide some 'guide' to the remaining family what to do. If families are close they may hopefully have talked to each other and have good relationships with each other.

If they are not close families they need to consider that 'next of kin' still needs to know what is possible in foreign countries and to be clear about their wishes before they might not be able to communicate.
Sorry to hear about your plight.

It is a tricky one, even selling the property might not work out as it could take a hell of a long while to sell, and you need to have in sold quickly.

As for care in the home, there may be some help available, as in a social service helper looking in a couple of times a day, but even this would fall short of what is needed.

The point you make about being prepared in a relevant one, while the sun shines and you are healthy all is well, but things can change quickly.

I hhope things get sorted for all your sakes.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:18 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

I have just had rather in intesting conversation with a friend of a friend, who infoms me that help is available to people who cannot do for themselves.

It is called " la ley de dependencia" and is available no matter what the financial situation of the "user" is.

Apparently there are 3 levels, and an assessment in made at home, then the level of help awarded is based on how able or unable the person is.

What exactly the help consists of, I have not found out, but I can do a bit of digging.....

Also Rojales gives free help to all the pension age population that need it, same help is also available for people in other regions, but if the income exceeds 760 euros a month then it must be paid for.

This is all the info I have but, will try to get more information, and if I do, I will post it here because I think it might be of use to some of the posters.

This may help

http://www.laleydeladependencia.com/...d=53&Itemid=70

Last edited by me me; Jun 20th 2012 at 7:29 pm. Reason: adding info
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:31 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by me me
I have just had rather in intesting conversation with a friend of a friend, who infoms me that help is available to people who cannot do for themselves.

It is called " la ley de dependencia" and is available no matter what the financial situation of the "user" is.

Apparently there are 3 levels, and an assessment in made at home, then the level of help awarded is based on how able or unable the person is.

What exactly the help consists of, I have not found out, but I can do a bit of digging.....

Also Rojales gives free help to all the pension age population that need it, same help is also available for people in other regions, but if the income exceeds 760 euros a month then it must be paid for.

This is all the info I have but, will try to get more information, and if I do, I will post it here because I think it might be of use to some of the posters.
I'm glad you mentioned that, because I was sure I saw something about this on another forum a few months ago. I'll have a look for the link as well, but the first port of call is certainly social services - if the OP can't find that easily, the local medical centre will point them in the right direction

In the meantime, Paulette, contact HELP of Denia http://www.helpofdenia.com/ - it's a local charity, run by Brits so no language problems - I'm sure they will be able to help
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How can I help my aged parents in Spain?

Originally Posted by PauletteH
hello

Hi Paulette, If you havent been in touch much since you were 16 why are you interested now? Sorry but families should be more important than the ocassional phone call. Surely they looked after you for the first 16 years of your life so think about your responsibilities in this situation.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

stuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond reputestuboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisjolly
Hi Paulette, If you havent been in touch much since you were 16 why are you interested now? Sorry but families should be more important than the ocassional phone call. Surely they looked after you for the first 16 years of your life so think about your responsibilities in this situation.
Who the hell are you to judge?
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:15 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

As Lynn mentioned, the HELP organisation should be the first port of call for expats in trouble. We also have Alzheimer associations in most places and the Spanish Social Services are quite efficient too.

I suspect the father will already have received assistance because there is a procedure for placing needy people in appropriate care homes.

But, normally, you can't force people to accept help.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:31 am
Banned

Great post.

NOT
Old Jun 21st 2012, 6:10 am
Banned

Originally Posted by HBG
As Lynn mentioned, the HELP organisation should be the first port of call for expats in trouble. We also have Alzheimer associations in most places and the Spanish Social Services are quite efficient too.

I suspect the father will already have received assistance because there is a procedure for placing needy people in appropriate care homes.

But, normally, you can't force people to accept help.
Great advice, a couple of years ago, I stayed in Torrevieja for quite a while, due to a family situation, and the huge expat community rallied around and helped each other.
We did not have much luck in the SS route due to income, and so the caring was shared between myself and a few others, taking turns.

The person I took care of, died a few years ago, but I will always remember the help received from her friends and neighbours.

I remember tha place you are talking about, and have seen it, as we visit friends quite often.

I suppose that centres like this exist in other expat areas, and the HELP is more widespread, I think.

It is difficult enough being local, but trying to arrange care on the scale that Paulette needs from a distance could be a nightmare.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

rafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nicerafikiphoto is just really nice

Too judgemental I think. Surely her post indicates that she is thinking a great deal about her responsibilities and is trying to find a way to help.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:12 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rafikiphoto
Too judgemental I think. Surely her post indicates that she is thinking a great deal about her responsibilities and is trying to find a way to help.
totally agree - no-one can know the full circumstances

I was completely estranged from my parents for years until my mother died - we always knew where the other was & I did periodically make attempts to be in closer contact

I was very happy to have my dad come to live with us here a short time later & am very grateful for the few months we had together before he died last summer
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:14 am
Just Joined

PauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant futurePauletteH has a brilliant future

Thank you for all the help there are useful leads i can follow up.

My mother use to look after a widow lady a few doors down the road. I think some expats can end up very lonely by chance. The dynamics of some areas mean that houses change hands often and homes become rented out to temporary holiday makers.

Moving to Spain suited my father a lot and I think he has had a good life but he has delayed looking into the option left for him at this stage. I think the lack of opportunity to see her grandchildren very often (she was not allowed to leave my father on his own and visit us) and the lack of having any friends (they did not seem to be able to keep friends even after 25 years in one place) ment she was not as happy as she should have been and now has Alzheimer's.

I will try and get there and help but I think my hands are tied and may have to wait for the backlash/problems if my father is not willing to be proactive.

I am technically 'next of Kin' but being outside the country and not speaking the language will be difficult to arrange and check on things.

Thanks again for any help as was groping in the dark and now I have some leads to work on.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 10:30 am
Banned

Clutching at straws here, but could there be a mature person, who for board lodgings and a bit of pocket money, would be willing to be there for caring duties?

I say mature person, as in an early retiree with a small pension, who otherwise could not manage on the money they have.

I am really just thhinking aloud, having had a sort of similar situation myself, but I moved in with a relative to do most of the caring.

Of course finding the right person would be paramount and difficult.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 12:45 am
Just Joined

I had thought about a person coming in.

I think for that to work you would have to really know who they were or have interviewed them and be able to check out their background and then check what they are doing.

Old people would be vulnerable in their home. The carer might not be doing anything or taking advantage of the old people. Perhaps the carer or housekeeper would need to be part of an established Agency you could trust or contact as well as have good english and first aid skills.

If this does not already exist maybe this is a potential small business opportunity for someone!

In this particular situations it is difficult as my father has OCD tendencies and a controlling personality. Even the loveliest person can become awkward in old age and I dont think the awkward ones improve with old age!

Does anyone know or had experience of the care homes in the valencia area?

Do expats plan generally to stay out in Spain or do they have arrangements to make their way back to the UK to a care home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.