Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

How Britain discovered a taste for Tapas

How Britain discovered a taste for Tapas

Old Jun 14th 2011, 8:42 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Britain discovered a taste for Tapas

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Many spaniards now living in UK so why should the country not import food them as well all the Asian Indian Polish markets etc

Spain does it for the British etc The british sellers need to learn more about the products they are selling though, they are mis selling Jamon in some stores.
My local (UK) Lidl had some jamon haunches (I will learn the proper word eventually) in stock last week, most of the customers are asian and didn't know what they were for. We have more Italians living here than Spaniards - most of them are 4th or even 5th generation.

In Granada I see very few concessions to the Brits living there - in fact I have yet to find one other than a good stock of whiskey in Al Campo. We do however have associates who live "down south" who occaisionally bring things in for us from the ex-pat shops. However, when living "the dream" it is much better to buy local produce - its cheaper and better quality (killer cucumbers aside)

One thing that is missed is shoe chews for the dog - has to have them imported at the moment.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 9:52 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

We do however have associates who live "down south" who occaisionally bring things in for us from the ex-pat shops. However, when living "the dream" it is much better to buy local produce - its cheaper and better quality
A lot more expensive buying imported Spanish stuff in the UK too. I went down to R.Garcia ( a well-established Spanish shop in Portobello Road) yesterday. Yes, there was a great range of Spanish products and brands, but cheap it wasn't. A tin of Fabada Asturiana or Pote Gallego, that (I believe would be 1.50 in a Spanish store, although it may be more expensive now) was £2.95. I may pop in again for Spanish beans/pulses, but I'll stick to Sainsburys for most foods I think..
Old Jun 14th 2011, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. Before we moved to Spain permanently I remember visiting a "farmers' market" in the UK and being tempted by a wonderful selection of olives on one stall. I bought a small amount of 3 different kinds and the stallholder said "That'll be £8 please"! Gulp. I stuck to buying them on our visits to Spain after that.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
In Granada I see very few concessions to the Brits living there - in fact I have yet to find one other than a good stock of whiskey in Al Campo. We do however have associates who live "down south" who occaisionally bring things in for us from the ex-pat shops. However, when living "the dream" it is much better to buy local produce - its cheaper and better quality (killer cucumbers aside)

One thing that is missed is shoe chews for the dog - has to have them imported at the moment.
Killer cucumbers turned out to be German beansprouts I thought ?

Is there an Al Campo in Granada town, I know the one down in Motril,it has the small dog biscuits my dog likes.
Orgiva is loaded with British products, Cadiar also has at least one place to buy UK products, so they are there for those who want them. I need my haggis :-) I also prefer to buy local foods and looking to my stay in Granada area again. Uk goods here are not so cheap either.
Old Jun 14th 2011, 2:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Killer cucumbers turned out to be German beansprouts I thought ?

Is there an Al Campo in Granada town, I know the one down in Motril,it has the small dog biscuits my dog likes.
Orgiva is loaded with British products, Cadiar also has at least one place to buy UK products, so they are there for those who want them. I need my haggis :-) I also prefer to buy local foods and looking to my stay in Granada area again. Uk goods here are not so cheap either.
Spanish Air Force dropped all their killer cucumbers on Gaddafi's headquarters and got done under Human Rights Act. Turns out the Germans don't know the difference between cucumbers and beansprouts. As they haven't found the source it is unlikely they will find it now.

Al Campo is now a "district" of Granada, its just down the road a few hundred yards from the Bus Station. There is also an Aldi a couple of hundred yards in the other direction.

Haggis - memories of living in married quarters in Dunfermline, rained on the day we arrived and rained on the day we left and seemed to rain on all days inbetween. Haggis & chips after a night down the hotel, yummy, no wonder I am the shape I am