Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House Price Bonus ?

House Price Bonus ?

Old Jan 14th 2008, 6:47 pm
Banned

Location: What one has not experienced, one will never understand in print
lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all
Default Re: House Price Bonus ?

All depends on the house prices in the UK, if they continue to drop then Stirling will weaken further as the Bank of England drops interest rates.

If the Dollar continues to drop, the Euro will be seen as the new safe haven for investers.

The current President of the US needs the Dollar to weaken further to account for his trade deficet figures, especially in the Election campagin, some are predicting it to drop a further 50%.

Which will increase the Euro`s value substantially, all this is of course not taking into account the European central Bank trying since 2000 to strengthen the Euro.

Finance ministers are urgeing the ECB to intervene to prevent the surge in the Euro from pushing the continent back into recession.

OR

Its also speculated that OPEC may start invoicing its crude exports in Euro`s instead of Dollars, and that would drop the exchange rate faster than virgin can drop his pants in a club.

We only really had a weak Euro because of the timing of the introduction, investers never fore casted the Euro to stay as weak as 1.50-1.70.

Many on record would say that 1.20-1.30 is long term sustainable.

And if the Spanish govt are to be believed at atime when the election is only two months away, there fore casted growth may just help the Euro achieve those levels.

Last edited by lee8; Jan 14th 2008 at 6:57 pm.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

busters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond reputebusters mum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Most Spanish bars near me, but 3 or 4 times that in the Brit bars.
same here, i don't drink in brit bars
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:59 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

I rarely drink in any bars but the Brit bars in Fuengirola seem cheaper than anywhere
Old Jan 15th 2008, 6:23 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I rarely drink in any bars but the Brit bars in Fuengirola seem cheaper than anywhere
You are joking, get a drink in the London bar, then get one in say the Spanish bar opposite the Cudeca shop near the three horse roundabout.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:31 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lee8
Of course it`s not as good as 150 euros, but 136 is still + positive, where as opposite, its -negative.

Your still gaining on the exchange rate.

If the pound dropped to 0.99 or below it `ll be costing you a negative which means it`ll cost you more to convert that you`d gain.

Is that so difficult to grasp.

Your gaining 0.36 cents to the pound if it dropped below 0.99 pence you`ll lose one cent to the pound, so every pound you convert you`ll get 0.99 cents.

If the exchange went to 0.50 for ever £100 you`d get 50.00 euros.

Mitzy come on its not that difficult to grasp shirley.
just read this thread this morning very funny debate , but ive got to totally agree with you lee8 i cant see what the others going on about id rather £136euros to £100pounds rather than 99cents to £100pounds
Old Jan 15th 2008, 7:41 am
pjj
sun lover

pjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud ofpjj has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tallbob
1.324 earlier on today, 1.18 predicted by the end of the year
which is crap if you are getting a british pension paid in Spain
hi tallbob thanks for the reply 1.32 aint too bad but if they predict 1.18 by the end of the year thats stupid i might as well stay in uk foe another year
Old Jan 15th 2008, 8:38 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing the London bar is an extreme example! As I wrote I don't do bars, (or Fuengirola) prefer to drink with a meal but I have seen the prices on offer. Have been in the Manilva and many of their clients are spanish.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 11:11 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Comparing the London bar is an extreme example! As I wrote I don't do bars, (or Fuengirola) prefer to drink with a meal but I have seen the prices on offer. Have been in the Manilva and many of their clients are spanish.
That is the secret, go to where the Spanish eat and drink. ;-)
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:35 pm
Banned

I think the Manilva bar is Brit owned.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 1:52 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I think the Manilva bar is Brit owned.
If it is then they must be charging right if the Spanish go there. ;-)
Old Jan 15th 2008, 3:56 pm
Banned

lee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to alllee8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by pjj
just read this thread this morning very funny debate , but ive got to totally agree with you lee8 i cant see what the others going on about id rather £136euros to £100pounds rather than 99cents to £100pounds
Thank god i was starting to think I`d hit my head.

Even the big retired business people here couldn`t work it out.

maybe thats why there in Spain and not the Maldives.

Last edited by lee8; Jan 15th 2008 at 3:59 pm.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:03 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by jdr
If it is then they must be charging right if the Spanish go there. ;-)

I live in a Spanish town and I`m the only guiri, they charge 2.75 for a bottle of Bud, 1.75 for Campo.

But I tend to buy Cana`s which on tap is less, but also smaller.

My favorite though is Long Isle Ice Tea, but they charge 6.75 for Cocktails.

But there worth it.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 4:58 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=lee8;5781855][quote=Mitzyboy;5781501]
Then you will lose money, the rate 0.75.

So your 100,000 euros is worth £75,497.36, so your worse of I`m afraid.

[i]
I was converting Euros to pound and quoted the current exchange rate.
0.75 cents to the pound.
If i was converting Euros to pounds 100,000 Euro`s is £75,497.00
If i was converting Pounds to Euros £100,000 is 136,000 euros.
Your worse of if your sending money to UK from Spain.
If you are sending money to Spain from the UK you are gaining 36 cents for every pound sent.
Mitzy i`m suprised you didn`t grasp that i wrote it plainly.
By the way it was aimed at the original poster who believed he was better off as the pound weakens aginst the Euro his Euros are now getting better returns compared to last year.
I also read that you manage to live on 8,000 Euros a year, which allowed you to retire in Spain, sorry i though you said this income was made up from your retirement fund, which you state allows you to drink G&Ts all day long.
Dont think I said that .... and I don't
But this is the only issue I have with what you said

Thank god i was starting to think I`d hit my head.
Even the big retired business people here couldn`t work it out.
maybe thats why there in Spain and not the Maldives.
Every month Mr X has a pension transfer, say, £1000 from the UK to Spain - a month or so ago he was rewarded with €1440 euros

Today when Mr X's £1000 pension arrives in euros he has €1300 .... €140 euros less, or in easier terms 28 Gin & Tonics. Thats mostly what concerns those of us that have a regular income from the UK.

And maybe you could end the constant cheap shots also
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:09 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

Today when Mr X's £1000 pension arrives in euros he has €1300 .... €140 euros less, or in easier terms 28 Gin & Tonics. Thats mostly what concerns those of us that have a regular income from the UK.

And maybe you could end the constant cheap shots also
I stated that too.

But my point is that Murin guy was stating what would happen now, not the past.

To use your example.

Mr X has just moved to Spain his £1000 has given him an extra 300 Euros which is a + Positive.

I stated it would be bad if his £1000 gave him less, say only 800 Euro`s.

If Mr Juan goes to the UK his 1000 euros gives him £800, better than last year but still less for his thousand.

Nothing in my writting said that the drop in the pound was good.

This is now getting SOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring.

Maybe you should drink just tonic.
Old Jan 15th 2008, 5:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

This is now getting SOOOOOOOOOOOOO boring.
Correct

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.