Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House insurance question

House insurance question

Old Sep 3rd 2008, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold
Default House insurance question

Can someone give me some idea of what the cost would be to rebuild a 4 bedroom villa, with cellar, separate double garage and pool house. I need this for what to quote for insurance purposes. Also are solar panels regarded as contents or are they included as part of the house.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

Mark Paddon is on a distinguished road
Default Re: House insurance question

Originally Posted by jo-ann
Can someone give me some idea of what the cost would be to rebuild a 4 bedroom villa, with cellar, separate double garage and pool house. I need this for what to quote for insurance purposes. Also are solar panels regarded as contents or are they included as part of the house.
I have just written an article on this very subject for a local paper, which is available via www.inlandtrader.com 'How much should I insure my house for?'
It includes some guide formulas to use when calculating buildings insurance. You should really ask the insurance company if the solar system is covered (normally would be under heating/ services) but it's worth checking. If you can't find the article, email me [email protected] and I will send you a copy in word.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 5:42 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

With my insurance, the solar panels are a separate item, not included in the contents. They are covered, but with a higher excess than other items and you have to make them inaccessible.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

jo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to beholdjo-ann is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
With my insurance, the solar panels are a separate item, not included in the contents. They are covered, but with a higher excess than other items and you have to make them inaccessible.
How on earth do you make solar panels inaccessible? They are on top of the roof so all one needs is a ladder
Old Sep 4th 2008, 12:47 pm
Banned

betris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond reputebetris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann
How on earth do you make solar panels inaccessible? They are on top of the roof so all one needs is a ladder
They do get stolen and they are valuble if you have a bank of 5 or 6 this amounts to a large sum of dosh.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 1:08 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jo-ann;
Having to use a ladder would count as inaccessible. They mean not mounted on the ground, or accessible via a fixed staircase without a lockable gate etc.
Old Sep 4th 2008, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hillybilly
Having to use a ladder would count as inaccessible. They mean not mounted on the ground, or accessible via a fixed staircase without a lockable gate etc.
Oh that makes ours inaccessible as cannot get to them without a ladder. I know they can be stolen as friends of ours have had 4 panels pinched
Old Sep 5th 2008, 10:59 am
Just Joined

Mark Paddon is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Mark Paddon
I have just written an article on this very subject for a local paper, which is available via www.inlandtrader.com 'How much should I insure my house for?'
It includes some guide formulas to use when calculating buildings insurance. You should really ask the insurance company if the solar system is covered (normally would be under heating/ services) but it's worth checking. If you can't find the article, email me [email protected] and I will send you a copy in word.
Try www.inlandtrader.net for the insurance article. The .com address does not seem to link.