Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House/contents insurance for isolated property

House/contents insurance for isolated property

Old Oct 5th 2018, 2:47 pm
Banned

Johncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond reputeJohncarzx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: House/contents insurance for isolated property

Originally Posted by TeamSpirit
Hello Mr Carzx, I of course have to ask how you know about that horse??!!

I would like to see your face when you read the next paragraph, but first I'll tell you, that although it is all completely true, my favourite T-Shirt says "Think Pink", and I do so voluntarily, however I personally like to balance optimism with practical caution, as I see it, which would be contents insurance in this case. My caution is perhaps due to the fact that I have so far survived/escaped the following by a hair's breath:
2 IRA bombs
attempted murder
head on car collision
head on train collision
my house being completely burned down
being made homeless in London
being made homeless in Europe
burst pipes with water streaming through the facade at first floor level
storm damage with water streaming through the roof like out of a firebrigade hose
the whole ground floor being flooded with sewage
my closest family narrowly escaped being killed together

and a load more stuff, but I think you get the picture. So I consider myself very lucky indeed, but I nevertheless prefer to be insured. It's turned out to be cheaper!
Hello TeamSpirit

I was involved in horse racing.

Are you going to declare all your good luck to the insurance underwriters? Don’t forget to include the gold Rolex on the application.

Team Spirit 1964 Grand National Winner
Old Oct 5th 2018, 3:14 pm
Account Closed

TeamSpirit is an unknown quantity at this point

Mrs Spouse of Scouse -You poor thing!!! I hope you've settled back in and feel happy there? It is strange though, I have sometimes felt the same about returning to Germany when I felt the insecurity and chaos of Spain was getting too much for me, whilst my hubby refuses to entertain such thoughts even though his family is there. I hope all this works out with the house we are intending to rent. I am so excited at the prospect of finally getting a big garden which I can go at from scratch, starting with cartloads of horse manure!! I'd really appreciate being able to get back to you about plants for drought if I have some questions - if you don't mind?

Last edited by TeamSpirit; Oct 5th 2018 at 3:17 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2018, 3:20 pm
Account Closed

Mr Carzx - sorry, no Rolex, but what is gold worth compared to still being alive?
Old Oct 5th 2018, 3:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamSpirit
You poor thing!!! I hope you've settled back in and feel happy there? It is strange though, I have sometimes felt the same about returning to Germany when I felt the insecurity and chaos of Spain was getting too much for me, whilst my hubby refuses to entertain such thoughts even though his family is there. I hope all this works out with the house we are intending to rent. I am so excited at the prospect of finally getting a big garden which I can go at from scratch, starting with cartloads of horse manure!! I'd really appreciate being able to get back to you about plants for drought if I have some questions - if you don't mind?
I'm very happy in Australia thanks, most of my family's here and it's where I've lived for most of my life. I loved living in Liverpool too - I'm very transportable Are you also from Germany originally?

Ah, good old horse manure, the gardens love it! I'm always happy to answer any questions, but I'm afraid I'm not much of a gardener. That's one of the things I love about the new house we've just bought here in Perth - the builder had already put nice gardens in You could probably find the best plants for your area on an internet gardening forum, or other BE members in Spain might have some good tips. Good luck with the house and I hope you get a lot of pleasure from getting your garden just the way you want it!
Old Oct 5th 2018, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

I'm really glad to hear you have settled back happily! I'm a "Lincolnshire Yellowbelly" (never thought of it before but I find that sounds like a Hobbit surname!) I was originally born in Lincolnshire but I've lived in different places in Europe for most of my adult life (or my "trying to become an adult" life!) I grew up next to a farm in Lincolnshire, well the owner was a landowner really, he had workers doing the farming for him. I always used to go through the farmyard as a short cut to school and the owner noticed my love of plants even as a small child and used to take me to see his rose gardens - those old-fashioned kind of roses that are velvety and deeply scented, underplanted by Love-in-a-Mist. When I saw all that I was just hooked! It was so romantic, huge roses, old fruit orchards, a Victorian gazebo in a shady corner ... How small gestures of kindness can have such a deep and lasting meaning!
I do know about gardening groups here, but as an incurable enthusiast I am always curious to know about more plants!! Don't worry! It's just nice to know how you are doing!