Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

House and Contents insurance

House and Contents insurance

Old May 21st 2008, 8:22 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light
Default House and Contents insurance

Any one tell me if your house and contents insurance covers you for lose of an earing ?
Old May 21st 2008, 10:09 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: House and Contents insurance

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Any one tell me if your house and contents insurance covers you for lose of an earing ?
Think you may have to check with your insurance co, I have friends who have a Tiffany (spelling??) Standard Lamp, the metal piece in the shade that held the thing up around the bulb gave way causing some damage to the globe. The insurance Spanish co told them that lamp shades are not covered and the shop does not want to know. Not talking cheap here it cost over
600E.

In the UK I had to have my rings photographed and listed separately with a valuation certificate. Good luck.
Old May 21st 2008, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gallerie9
Typically there will be a max value per item, in the UK it's normally around £2500. As crispy says items above this threshold have to be listed separately and identified by photograhic valuation certs.

Last edited by leighbloke; May 21st 2008 at 11:28 pm.
Old May 22nd 2008, 4:16 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by leighbloke
Typically there will be a max value per item, in the UK it's normally around £2500. As crispy says items above this threshold have to be listed separately and identified by photographic valuation certs.
You are covered depending on your policy for a certain amount of cash per item unless you name the said item ie rolex etc. You will find you are allowed to take things like that from the home in those circumstances otherwise we would only wear jewellery at home but cover in the main is for theft when away from the home,You sometimes have to pay extra to cover an accident or loss. It pays to take pics of any expensive items of jewellery or furniture etc and keep receipts because in this day and age the case of ohhhhhhhh lost my camera on hols it cost a grand in the hope the cash will part pay your holiday will not wash any more, you will have to show proof of purchase, serial numbers etc, remember Rolex have a world wide register and every Rolex sold is on it I hope you find the receipts etc or the missing earring your wife must be most upset. If you can not find the receipt go to a jeweller and pick a like item the jeweller will then give you a letter with costing for replacement, Remember insurance company's appear to give you a hard time but at the end of the day if they can not find anything untoward with your claim they will pay you in the end. Good luck sorry to ramble just trying to help remember as well some policies have an access that you will have to pay when you make a claim like car insurance so if the item is worth less than your access don't bother claiming.

A top tip for the Ladies take a poloroid of your shoes and put it on the outside of the box on the end save you having hundreds of boxes out looking for that particular pair of shoes at the last minute

Last edited by poshnbucks; May 22nd 2008 at 4:32 am.
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:01 pm
this is me

gallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of lightgallerie9 is a glorious beacon of light

I found it
It was a very expensive diamond one, a gift to my self after my divorce. Not going to wear them again, and will get them photographed and covered.
Thanks everone
Old May 22nd 2008, 2:11 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to hear a good outcome. Well done.