British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Hospitals in Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/hospitals-spain-437364/)

Ka Ora! Mar 25th 2007 4:41 pm

Hospitals in Spain

Hi Me my wife and our two children are english well im welsh but we currently live in France Near Toulouse 70 kms in the mountains we have become some what dispondant with France French People and the attitude here We have been living here for almost 5 years and in this time i had a heart attack in the first 6 months of being here followed by a stroke then an anurisum on the heart and a hole between the ventricals and then i spent some time in a coma and had to learn a whole lot of things again and i am 37 this year so we had a crash course in the medical system here. Which is very good by british standards.

Question as i spent about 3 years in spain near malaga up in land aways little village called Riogordo but durning this time i never even looked at a hospital or a doctor we would want to move into a region that has a good cardiology Unit as although now im am fit and well by some form of a miracle we dont know what the future will hold. Same question i guess that goes through a lot of peoples minds :ohmy:

MnM Mar 25th 2007 4:46 pm

Re: Hospitals in Spain

Originally Posted by visualbyte (Post 4559665)
Hi Me my wife and our two children are english well im welsh but we currently live in France Near Toulouse 70 kms in the mountains we have become some what dispondant with France French People and the attitude here We have been living here for almost 5 years and in this time i had a heart attack in the first 6 months of being here followed by a stroke then an anurisum on the heart and a hole between the ventricals and then i spent some time in a coma and had to learn a whole lot of things again and i am 37 this year so we had a crash course in the medical system here. Which is very good by british standards.

Question as i spent about 3 years in spain near malaga up in land aways little village called Riogordo but durning this time i never even looked at a hospital or a doctor we would want to move into a region that has a good cardiology Unit as although now im am fit and well by some form of a miracle we dont know what the future will hold. Same question i guess that goes through a lot of peoples minds :ohmy:

Hi visualbyte and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear of your health problems, but it's good to hear that you've overcome them and have now bounced back.

I'm afraid I'm no where near the region you're looking at, but there are others here who are and who, I'm sure, will offer as much information as possible.

Martha

Ka Ora! Mar 25th 2007 4:59 pm

We are looking at the whole of espana at this stage although we will being doing or best to end up with neighbors that are not attached in anyway to us.
:ohmy:

mikelincs Mar 26th 2007 7:58 am

Originally Posted by visualbyte (Post 4559718)
We are looking at the whole of espana at this stage although we will being doing or best to end up with neighbors that are not attached in anyway to us.
:ohmy:

Torrevieja has a very new, state of the art hospital, only opened last October, and ALL the comments I've heard are very very complimentary, they ahve very good drs and surgeons and the care is, apparently first rate. Can't speak from experience, but a neighbour is in hospital having had a lump discovered in her abdomen, she had the lump investigated at her GP, referred and seen within 1 week, biopsy within another week and less than a week later the lump has been removed and she is recovering well. Thankfully reports do say that the lump was benign. This is the Spanish Health service, NOT private medicine.

Ka Ora! Mar 26th 2007 8:35 am

Yes but currently i am making my comparisions to the british health system and if what has happened to me had happened in england i would be dead now and still waiting to see a consultant. Were as here i have direct phone numbers to my cardiologist and neurologist and should i need urgent treatment i could phone now and be in before lunch traffic allowing.

Whilst i was in my coma they inserted a valve into my skull and a tube runs down into my abdomen to drain off flued should there be to much. This does not get done in the uk a friend of mine is a paramedic in london and she had picked up a man about the same age as me who had fallen down a concrete flight of stairs he died in the ambulance after 3 hospitals in london refused to admit him because of the reqired treatment. Me for one am glad im not in the uk. It would take me 6 to 9 months to see a cardio for a prescription as no doctors will prescribe my med as a new person. But im glad to hear that there is one good hospital mabbe we will move that way.

Big_john Apr 14th 2007 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Ka Ora! (Post 4561797)
Yes but currently i am making my comparisions to the british health system and if what has happened to me had happened in england i would be dead now and still waiting to see a consultant. Were as here i have direct phone numbers to my cardiologist and neurologist and should i need urgent treatment i could phone now and be in before lunch traffic allowing.

Whilst i was in my coma they inserted a valve into my skull and a tube runs down into my abdomen to drain off flued should there be to much. This does not get done in the uk a friend of mine is a paramedic in london and she had picked up a man about the same age as me who had fallen down a concrete flight of stairs he died in the ambulance after 3 hospitals in london refused to admit him because of the reqired treatment. Me for one am glad im not in the uk. It would take me 6 to 9 months to see a cardio for a prescription as no doctors will prescribe my med as a new person. But im glad to hear that there is one good hospital mabbe we will move that way.

Ka Ora,

Have just picked this thread up whilst looking around.

A friend of mine had to go into the big hospital to have a triple by pass heart op last year (Carlos Haya Hospital Malaga ), apparently they do a lot of cardio ops there.

Also there is a fab new hospital in Benalmadena where I was operated on last year, it is the most modern and up to date hospital in the South of Spain.

I hope that this helps and also that your health goes from strength to strength.

The service is first class, and they have a very well equipped Cardio unit.

lynnxa Apr 14th 2007 3:27 pm

the hospital in Denia has a very good reputation....and I was very impressed when my dh was in there in November

toyboy23 Apr 14th 2007 4:51 pm

I suppose one thing to bear in mind is that with dehydration the blood thickens which makes the pumping system work harder, and also blockages more likely. Thus moving to a very hot area would possibly be unwise? I believe that Extremedura, for example, is called the frying-pan of Spain by the Spanish.

If you look at the temperature maps you’ll see that Valencia and northwards is always cooler. It’s just a thought, and I’m not a medical person. My brother spends quite a lot of time in Malaga and he looks like he’s been on the barbeque when I pick him up from the airport.

Good luck with your decision!

Solarwhizz Apr 15th 2007 7:59 am

First question I would ask is do I qualify for treatment under the Spanish state Scheme, if not your options may be limited.
For example at this time Valencia Autonomous Communidad will accept all EU nationals onto the Scheme right now, Murcia is due to change sometime in the next year. Or are you of UK pensionable age and drawing a UK pension, if so you should qualify under E121, issued from DWP UK.
Otherwise, you will probably need very deep pockets for a private scheme!!

montgomail Apr 15th 2007 8:15 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4641469)
the hospital in Denia has a very good reputation....and I was very impressed when my dh was in there in November

Is he okay now? I remember at the time, you saying how pleased you were with the treatment he received.

lynnxa Apr 15th 2007 8:29 am

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 4643999)
Is he okay now? I remember at the time, you saying how pleased you were with the treatment he received.

he has to lose weight before they can operate.....he's about half way there

very complicated op now......all other organs have moved into the space vacated by his intestines....but they will do it

they told us that if they had had to do an emergency op he'd have had about a 5% chance at the time

montgomail Apr 15th 2007 8:50 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4644018)

very complicated op now......all other organs have moved into the space vacated by his intestines....but they will do it

they told us that if they had had to do an emergency op he'd have had about a 5% chance at the time

I wish him well.

tim hortons man Apr 16th 2007 6:49 am

Originally Posted by montgomail (Post 4644079)
I wish him well.

one important note you won't be eligle for private healthcare so that means the public one and you are very unlikey to find English speaking doctors which means you need to have a reasonable level of Spainish.

rugbymatt Apr 16th 2007 7:59 am

Originally Posted by lynnxa (Post 4644018)

I was wondering how he was doing the other day.

Big_john Apr 16th 2007 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by tim hortons man (Post 4647850)
one important note you won't be eligle for private healthcare so that means the public one and you are very unlikey to find English speaking doctors which means you need to have a reasonable level of Spainish.

On the Costa del Sol all the public hospitals have translators for various languages, the main one being ENGLISH:thumbsup: