Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hospital Infanta Elena in Huelva - any opinions ladies?

Hospital Infanta Elena in Huelva - any opinions ladies?

Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Claire80tl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hospital Infanta Elena in Huelva - any opinions ladies?

Hiya everyone,

So I've been looking around for hospitals with good maternity units round here and they seem to be pretty thin on the ground! I have found one called Hospital Infanta Elena in Huelva but have no idea how good it is or anything. Have any of you ladies given birth there by any chance? (Know it's a long shot but unfortunately don't know many people to ask about this - Andy (DP) only works with guys!)

Am at the 20 weeks stage now and have got to see Isabel my 'matrona' on Thursday again for another check-up. She is really nice but I have to ask her to talk to me at a baby's pace so I can understand her and even then there are lots of words I don't understand so get in a bit of a state about it. Has anyone got any advice there?!

She did mention the dreaded list of things to pack for my hospital bag though last Thursday and have been going bloody potty just thinking about it as will most likely need the dictionary for some words when I get it from whatever hospital I end up going to!! Also not sure whether I should buy the stuff out here or get it the next time I go back to Blighty?! If only there was an M&S here

Anyway ladies sorry about the rant but really need your help!!
Old Feb 10th 2013, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Hospital Infanta Elena in Huelva - any opinions ladies?

Anyone? X
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire80tl
Anyone? X
Have you tried over the border in VRSA - the hospital there has a good reputation and a number of English speaking staff - don't know anything about its maternity services, though.
Depends whether you want a Spanish or Portuguese child I guess and could make registration a bit tricky I suppose.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Have you tried over the border in VRSA - the hospital there has a good reputation and a number of English speaking staff - don't know anything about its maternity services, though.
Depends whether you want a Spanish or Portuguese child I guess and could make registration a bit tricky I suppose.
Hiya - Never heard of it and nothing comes up in Google when I search for it? Where is it exactly? Would prefer a Spanish born baby but speaking English is v important for me!

Oh just seen it was you who made the comment the other day about the Spanish waiter lol!

Last edited by Claire80tl; Feb 10th 2013 at 12:31 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya - Never heard of it and nothing comes up in Google when I search for it? Where is it exactly? Would prefer a Spanish born baby but speaking English is v important for me!

Oh just seen it was you who made the comment the other day about the Spanish waiter lol!
Sorry I think I may have been wrong, it seems that the place in VRSA is a medical centre (Av. Duarte Pacheco) - the hospital itself is in Faro. But I believe they do speak goood English so might be able to help. From other threads I've seen then English speaking in Spanish Hospitals can be variable (or absent)

Last edited by MikeJ; Feb 10th 2013 at 12:45 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Sorry I think I may have been wrong, it seems that the place in VRSA is a medical centre - the hospital itself is in Faro.
That's what it looks like!! Thanks a lot anyway - I'll certainly have a look into it although don't fancy a too long a drive tbh.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Also wondered if any of you ladies had given birth out here and what advice you could give me?
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Also wondered if any of you ladies had given birth out here and what advice you could give me?
Hi Claire, I'm not sure you will get the info you need on here as most of the posters are (without wishing to upset anyone) retired or non-residents. Wouldn't the best way forward be to speak with other mums-to-be when you go for check-ups etc. Other than that I will try, if I can, to put you in touch with a couple of mums that I and my friends know, regards Bryony
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Claire, I have spoken to my friend and she is happy for you to contact her so I have PM'd you some details, regards Bryony
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice

My wife gave birth to our daughter at Infanta Elena... she was born 6 weeks prem weighing in at just under 2kgs... so had to stay in an incubator for a while... we were there everyday for what seemed like an eternity!

PM me your email address and I will get my wife to email you..
Old Feb 14th 2013, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

irismary is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not given birth, but we have several friends in our village who have had their babies here. They all went to Juan Ramon Jimenez in Huelva, and all had good experiences. But donĀ“t expect anyone to speak English - although it will be a nice surprise when someone does. There are more staff there now who speak English than latterly.