Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Hoping to move to Southern Spain

Hoping to move to Southern Spain

Old Oct 27th 2021, 8:55 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hoping to move to Southern Spain

Originally Posted by Fiona16
No not too personal at all, I currently work assessing children for lots of conditions such as ADHD, ASD, attachment issues etc I also working are of supporting titration of medications. The NHS has contracted out some services. Since COVID many jobs have been made remote and use video link up with client and their GP.
I am happy to go back and forth to UK but maybe not every week.
companies I have spoken to have said they would not have a problem with me working from Spain but what they say and what they do may turn out to be very different.
does your friend go back to UK frequently?
Every 3-4 months for a couple of weeks, packing in the shifts. I know he said there are several others from his London hospital that do a similar thing. I would have a chat to the payroll/HR people of the companies you are engaging with as you may find things can be done relatively smoothly.
Have a look at my original thread about it, though bear in mind this was posted before Brexit so some of the UK tax stuff may have changed. My mate won't have a clue, he leaves it all to payroll (!), so I'd rely on the guys on here for up to date info
Live in Spain, work in UK, some clarification please!
Old Oct 27th 2021, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DLC
Until then, to be legit, you have to have a self-employed visa.
Really? Is this OK is Spain, even if you're an employee and not self employed at all?
Old Oct 29th 2021, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS is selling itself to the private sector bit by bit so video consultations on behalf of the NHS with the nurse paid by a private company comes as no surprise, its Boris's wet dream to get shot of the NHS. Spain trains more nurses than it needs hence the job shortage and IIRC 9,000 Spanish nurses are now working for the NHS in the UK so the chances of a brit nurse walking the wards in Spain are slim to say the least so online work is the OPs only realistic option.

If I were her/he I'd not move without the Irish passport, it makes things simple and the hubby gets rubber stamped entry.
Old Oct 29th 2021, 11:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
The NHS is selling itself to the private sector bit by bit so video consultations on behalf of the NHS with the nurse paid by a private company comes as no surprise, its Boris's wet dream to get shot of the NHS. Spain trains more nurses than it needs hence the job shortage and IIRC 9,000 Spanish nurses are now working for the NHS in the UK so the chances of a brit nurse walking the wards in Spain are slim to say the least so online work is the OPs only realistic option.

If I were her/he I'd not move without the Irish passport, it makes things simple and the hubby gets rubber stamped entry.
Maybe the OP has plenty of cash but if not, what happens if you lose the NHS job? While it might be fine today, tax laws can change and suddenly you have limited options with no Spanish or another foreign language. Unless you have specific skills, it might also not be easy to find remote work that pays the salary you have today. Apart from the advice not to rush into buying, getting a mortgage is not always easy either. Like anywhere there are credit checks and outstanding mortgages need to be considered too. Then what about the husband who is a highly skilled joiner/carpenter?
Old Oct 29th 2021, 12:06 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Maybe the OP has plenty of cash but if not, what happens if you lose the NHS job? While it might be fine today, tax laws can change and suddenly you have limited options with no Spanish or another foreign language. Unless you have specific skills, it might also not be easy to find remote work that pays the salary you have today. Apart from the advice not to rush into buying, getting a mortgage is not always easy either. Like anywhere there are credit checks and outstanding mortgages need to be considered too. Then what about the husband who is a highly skilled joiner/carpenter?
The husband would first have to check whether his qualifications are valid in Spain, and then, without speaking Spanish, consider how he'd compete with qualified Spanish joiners/carpenters if he applied for a salaried job, or cope with the legal/social/fiscal/administrative Bureaucracy, his suppliers and customers, if he works for himself. His side of the equation should also be researched....