Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

hondon de los frailes

hondon de los frailes

Old Oct 22nd 2007, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

emmamc is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face hondon de los frailes

hi, we've just put money down on a property to be built in the hondon de los frailes area and are after finding out as much info as poss about it if any one can help would be much appreciated.

Em
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 3:19 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: hondon de los frailes

Originally Posted by emmamc
hi, we've just put money down on a property to be built in the hondon de los frailes area and are after finding out as much info as poss about it if any one can help would be much appreciated.

Em
Did you read the other Hondon thread two below yours ?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 4:19 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jdr
Did you read the other Hondon thread two below yours ?
Do a search (at top menu) for HONDON and you'll get a list of previous posts. There's quite a lot of info. Also try http://www.hondon.co.uk/hondon-valley.html
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: hondon de los frailes

hiya,

I read the other threads, thanks for the the web address, i've spent hours on the internet searching for as much as i can on the area but can't seem to find much thanks again

Em
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 1:35 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: hondon de los frailes

hey again,

just had a look at the web page given below and it's says something about the opening hours will take some getting used too with the bats and restaurants? what sort of hours are we talking?

Em
Old Oct 23rd 2007, 2:25 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

hey again,
something about the opening hours will take some getting used too with the bars and restaurants?
Em
I think it means that the Spanish have opening hours and a working timetable NOTHING like the UK. For instance, lunchtime, just about everything closes (apart from bars and rests') for at least an hour or two (sometimes three !). Some business work silly hours, closing at 2pm and not re-opening until 5 or 6 and staying open until 9/10pm. My wife is having Physio' at the moment and the practise is open until 10pm. Most retail places close to Hondon are closed on Sundays (a big Family day for the Spanish). So stock up on Saturday or go to a Sunday Market.

Holidays (fiestas) are in abundance and some are 'red days' where the law says most cannot work or allowed to open. But bank holidays can be any day of the week and even 2 in the same week. If you don't keep abreast of these opening times and holidays you end up with a wasted shopping trip and you're short of groceries / water !!! So make sure your neighbour has plenty in so you can borrow the proverbial cup of sugar.

Now we are used to the opening hours we like them - just like UK was donkeys years ago.

Hint: In our opinion Spanish tea is c**p so either pay a high-price for English Tea or get your relatives / friends to bring some decent stuff over when they visit!! ... it's the least they can do.
Old Oct 24th 2007, 6:50 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: hondon de los frailes

hiya,

i've had a read of the thread two below my other and it is definitly a concern but from what i've read on this site so far it's kind of 50/50 some say there is alot lot crime others say hardly any, but oh my god gang rapes and gassing!that's a bit harsh, any one any more to comment on how the area is lately from what i remember this threads were a while ago - 2005ish

Em
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

hiya,

i've had a read of the thread two below my other and it is definitly a concern but from what i've read on this site so far it's kind of 50/50 some say there is alot lot crime others say hardly any, but oh my god gang rapes and gassing!that's a bit harsh, any one any more to comment on how the area is lately from what i remember this threads were a while ago - 2005ish

Em
Err... have you actually *been* to Hondon recently? Somebody short-changed me in a shop the other day. I saw somebody riding a motorbike without a helmet at the weekend. Our next door neighbour (serious offence here, by the way) once put rubbish out in the communal bin *during the day*!

If you speak with the locals around here, there *is* a crime problem, and it usually involves the sale of illegally-built houses to unsuspecting Brits! That's not to say that yours will be - the general rule is just not to use the agent's solicitor...

One comment I would make - are you seriously considering buying in an area that you've not spent time visiting / spoken with the locals / got to know the area better? Did you feel pressured by your agent to sign on the dotted line before you spent any time here?

We only put down our deposit having visited the urbanisation more than ten times, at all times of the day / night, weekends and during the week. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner in the local restaurants, shopped in the supermarkets and markets, spoke to as many people (English and Spanish) as we could on and off the urbanisation. We even got the head of studies to give us a tour of the local school, found out about the education, how they 'dealt with' English children, asked about bullying and how he felt our two would fit in. And we did this all without an estate agent in tow - after all, once you've completed you won't see them for dust anyway, so now's the time to find your feet! Furthermore, it's a great way to either improve your Spanish or put you off for life!

We think the area is great by the way - but that's our opinion. There is no substitute to you coming out and forming your own!

Good luck!

(And if you need any travel / accommodation tips, there are plenty of us that can help!)
Old Oct 25th 2007, 7:17 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I spent nearly two years coming over here and researching before we committed ourselves ...... if you're not sure of the areas by far the best thing to do is to rent until you KNOW where you want to live
Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to say thanks for everybodies help it's been great and found some really useful links too

Thankyou
Emma
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of lightSugarlugs is a glorious beacon of light

Em
Hi we live in Hondon Frailes, been here since July Last year but are getting ready to put our house on the market as it is a bit quiet here for us and we want to move a bit nearer the coast, but it is a lovley little village with beautiful views and weather, but it has taken me 10 months to get a job which was driving me crazy u can only shop and clean so much,but if your not bothered about a job or dont need to work you will be fine.
But if u need any help give me a shout and I will help as much as I can .

Regards

Suzanne
Old Apr 13th 2008, 2:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Sugarlugs
Hi we live in Hondon Frailes, been here since July Last year but are getting ready to put our house on the market as it is a bit quiet here for us and we want to move a bit nearer the coast, but it is a lovley little village with beautiful views and weather, but it has taken me 10 months to get a job which was driving me crazy u can only shop and clean so much,but if your not bothered about a job or dont need to work you will be fine.
But if u need any help give me a shout and I will help as much as I can .

Regards

Suzanne
Aw thanks for your email, i'm so glad i joined this forum every ones been brilliant, I hope all goes well with your move to the coast, we don't really mind being a bit further from the coast, I do love the surrounding mountain views, makes a change from the views here in soggy Fleetwood, one thing we could do with help with is a bit of help finding a place to stay in a couple of months, we're next coming over in June, up to now we've only stayed in Alicante and Torrevieja and made day trips into hondon but ideally we want to stay the full week in hondon rather than a quick nip through here and there, I don't suppose you know of any where?

Thanks Again

Em x