Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Honda help - weeds taking over

Honda help - weeds taking over

Old Jan 14th 2009, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Honda help - weeds taking over

B******** b******** & etc....you get the idea. Anyone know of a good reliable preferably Spanglish speaking Honda agricultural machine workshop within striking distance of Malaga? Strimmer just spewed out bits all over the campo & I just know with this sun after the rain, the triffids will have a field day......
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:35 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Honda help - weeds taking over

GONZALEZ BENITEZ ANTONIA AV REYES CATOLICOS,50 29130 ALHAURIN DE LA TORRE MALAGA + (34) 952412411 + (34) 952412411
TIENDA JARDIN LOS MATA, S.C. CL COM.GUADALMINA, LOCAL 4 29670 SAN PEDRO ALCANTARA MALAGA + (34) 952886865 + (34) 952880304
Old Jan 14th 2009, 12:37 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

They appear to be main dealers and service points, so will no doubt be helpful if you need to fix etc.................

Hope they are near enough.
Old Jan 14th 2009, 1:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
They appear to be main dealers and service points, so will no doubt be helpful if you need to fix etc.................

Hope they are near enough.
Brilliant, thanks. It needed a service anyway so this is the last straw!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by fionamw
Brilliant, thanks. It needed a service anyway so this is the last straw!
Someone's suggested a place in Velez, which is nearer - however if this fails, Alhaurin de la Torre it is come the weekend..... thanks again & if anyone knows another Honda place just in case, pretty please?
no doubt it'll rain in the meantime
Old Jan 15th 2009, 4:48 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

By triffids, do you mean the vampire weed ('cos it's so hard to kill) ? I call them 'hijas de la luvia' daughters of the rain, because the bl**dy things just appear from nowhere after rain.

Fleshy stems and leaves, a bit like a succulent, yellow flowers, puts out flowers very quickly, can grow to the size of a dustbin lid and produces millions of seeds like black dust?

The only thing is to rotivate before they have more than 4 leaves, or else their survival rate goes thru the ceiling. The only way I have found to cope is to rotivate pdq, never allow them to set seed, and remove every scrap that rotivation won't kill, and burn it or bin it.

I don't know if it is possible, but the idea is to so deplete the seed bank in the soil, that it is no longer a problem. We succeeded with this strategy in the UK against cowparsley, but it took a couple of years. It was so dense and widespread that we couldn't use herbicide, but in three years we had effectively eliminated it in an acre and a half of shrubs and lawns.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
By triffids, do you mean the vampire weed ('cos it's so hard to kill) ? I call them 'hijas de la luvia' daughters of the rain, because the bl**dy things just appear from nowhere after rain.

Fleshy stems and leaves, a bit like a succulent, yellow flowers, puts out flowers very quickly, can grow to the size of a dustbin lid and produces millions of seeds like black dust?

The only thing is to rotivate before they have more than 4 leaves, or else their survival rate goes thru the ceiling. The only way I have found to cope is to rotivate pdq, never allow them to set seed, and remove every scrap that rotivation won't kill, and burn it or bin it.

I don't know if it is possible, but the idea is to so deplete the seed bank in the soil, that it is no longer a problem. We succeeded with this strategy in the UK against cowparsley, but it took a couple of years. It was so dense and widespread that we couldn't use herbicide, but in three years we had effectively eliminated it in an acre and a half of shrubs and lawns.
Actually by triffids, I was just trying to be funny/clever - however I know just the one you mean. If I've got it right it's the one whose seed heads blast open at the merest touch..... (if it's not that one, then there's another that does. Mind you that is closely followed by wild artichoke, whose simply beautiful seed heads proceed to attempt world domination at the first sign of wind.... or fennel, which doesn't mind too much if you don't let it seed because its roots are so b****y firmly embedded in the ground you stand no hope of extracting it. btw I don't use herbicide, so manual techniques are it for me! btw#2 What's a lawn
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:42 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't have a lawn if you paid me. Well, ok, but only if the pay was good.

Any blade of grass grows on my patch and it dies. I love glyphosphate/roundup, it is god's gift to the struggling gardner. Use it sensibly and sparingly and it is a valuable servant. Before you start shrieking about the environmental impact, it breaks down in the soil tooty sweety. It's not like I hire a spray plane to blitz the whole province with Agent Orange.

If it's any help, cut the two outer tines off a long tined fork. The resultant two tined jobbie will penetrate deeply and easily, and doesn't disrupt the soil too much. Failing that a touch of roundup, and ....
Old Jan 15th 2009, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
I wouldn't have a lawn if you paid me. Well, ok, but only if the pay was good.

Any blade of grass grows on my patch and it dies. I love glyphosphate/roundup, it is god's gift to the struggling gardner. Use it sensibly and sparingly and it is a valuable servant. Before you start shrieking about the environmental impact, it breaks down in the soil tooty sweety. It's not like I hire a spray plane to blitz the whole province with Agent Orange.

If it's any help, cut the two outer tines off a long tined fork. The resultant two tined jobbie will penetrate deeply and easily, and doesn't disrupt the soil too much. Failing that a touch of roundup, and ....
Bah humbug not if you paid me..... well ok but not if you paid me less than five figures.... no, six!

(then I could make a hefty contribution to Spain's no doubt struggling Green Party!)
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:46 pm
bil
Banned

It's just that a lawn requires a lot of work to look pretty average, and a deranged level of attention to look good. Add to that the need for watering in Spain's climate, and I just can't be bothered.
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
It's just that a lawn requires a lot of work to look pretty average, and a deranged level of attention to look good. Add to that the need for watering in Spain's climate, and I just can't be bothered.

Lawn's rock (yes, I know the punctuation, thank you!)
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:49 pm
Straw Man.

Yeah, and its a different prospect falling asleep pissed on a gravel patch at 3 in the morning!

You end up waking up looking like a pebble-dash house!
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Yeah, and its a different prospect falling asleep pissed on a gravel patch at 3 in the morning!

You end up waking up looking like a pebble-dash house!
lightweight! Here it's rock or abyss.......................... oh, and pebbledash is so 70s, darling!
ps took it in to a Husqvarna place in Velez...... come Lunes, we'll know if that was a bad idea
Old Jan 15th 2009, 7:57 pm
Straw Man.

lightweight! Here it's rock or abyss.......................... oh, and pebbledash is so 70s, darling!
ps took it in to a Husqvarna place in Velez...... come Lunes, we'll know if that was a bad idea
Husky are a good company, I have Husky chainsaws and machinery, they will sort it......
Old Jan 15th 2009, 8:07 pm
bil
Banned

I used to like the smell of a fresh cut lawn, but I have cut enough in my time to be sick of it to be honest.

They say that to keep a lawn weed free, you need to cut it every day (that's in the UK) Trouble is that if you cut it too short, it can't collect enough dew of a morning to stay alive without regular watering.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.