Reload this Page >

home fire safety checks

home fire safety checks

Old Apr 13th 2010, 2:37 pm
Just Joined

Fireman Kev is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile HOME FIRE SAFETY CHECK

Hi Everyone
I've just moved from England to Calahonda on the costa del sol with my young family. I'm looking at fitting smoke alarms and giving home fire safety checks in expats homes as i was a firefighter back in the U.K as none seem to be fitted? We all know how bad it could be if you were to have a fire in the home and if someone was to die because there was no smoke alarm fitted, and especially if you have children in the house you've got to have one fitted. I was wondering if anyone knows the best way to get this message across to the expat community

Last edited by Fireman Kev; Apr 13th 2010 at 4:06 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: home fire safety checks

There is a man who lives in San Pedro who was high up in the fire brigade, he does the same thing. In Calahonda there are a few supermarkets where you can put an ad and there is Friday ads and sur in English or just leaflet the houses.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: home fire safety checks

Thanks for that
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:40 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

You'd think that there would be more fire awareness here, especially as there are more open fires and of course the "rejas" (bars across the windows). I've often wondered how we'd get out if we had to use a window as an escape route

Jo xxx
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:50 pm
Just Joined

Do you have smoke alarms fitted?As for the bars on the windows My safety check talks you through thing you can do to help prevent fires in the home.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:04 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

No I havent! But I'm afraid I'm a fire safety officers worst nightmare. We took the batteries out in the ones in our UK house cos they kept going off everytime someone opened the oven!

Jo xxx
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

Hi Jo
Everyone has done it. The alarm was probably fitted in the wrong place(SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Apr 13th 2010 at 5:24 pm. Reason: Sentence removed
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:22 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
You'd think that there would be more fire awareness here, especially as there are more open fires and of course the "rejas" (bars across the windows). I've often wondered how we'd get out if we had to use a window as an escape route

Jo xxx
It doesn't seem to be such a big issue in Spain.

You don't seem to hear much about house fires in Spain and fire engines are a rare sight. More seems to be spent on fighting forest fires.

Maybe it has something to do with construction methods - wood in houses in Spain is rare compared to the UK and US.

Apparently the commonest cause of house fires is a burning cigarette and Spain has a high percentage of smokers. I suppose the relatively low amount of soft furnishings/carpets etc may have something to do with it.

The death rate from house fires in Spain is one of the lowest in the world and about half the rate of the UK.

I can't say I have ever seen a smoke alarm for sale but then I haven't looked for one.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:25 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I think a lump hammer in the house is the answer, or at least something that will take the bars out from the inside
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:28 pm
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by Fred James
It doesn't seem to be such a big issue in Spain.

You don't seem to hear much about house fires in Spain and fire engines are a rare sight. More seems to be spent on fighting forest fires.

Maybe it has something to do with construction methods - wood in houses in Spain is rare compared to the UK and US.

Apparently the commonest cause of house fires is a burning cigarette and Spain has a high percentage of smokers. I suppose the relatively low amount of soft furnishings/carpets etc may have something to do with it.

The death rate from house fires in Spain is one of the lowest in the world and about half the rate of the UK.

I can't say I have ever seen a smoke alarm for sale but then I haven't looked for one.
You dont here of many house fires do you! no carpets, not many timber framed houses, lots of tiles and and stone, not much in the way of wallpaper..... Also most of the year seems to be spent living outside too!?

Jo xxx
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

I find that a little nieve its not the fire that kills its the toxic smoke you only need 6 breaths and it can kill you if your asleep it would be like drowning you would never wake! I' ve got one in mine i have kids and could never live with myself if it happened to me. On a lighter note do you know of a good cheap dog insurer? Thanks
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
I think a lump hammer in the house is the answer, or at least something that will take the bars out from the inside
how many old ladies could smash out a reja? i know i could, but think of ya mum, ya gran.. living alone... i think what hes doing is a good idea. ive thought of it in the past, but theres no profit in it.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 2:10 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
how many old ladies could smash out a reja? i know i could, but think of ya mum, ya gran.. living alone... i think what hes doing is a good idea. ive thought of it in the past, but theres no profit in it.
Oh for sure, I was talking of my own situation. I do know though of a relatively easy way of getting them off the window though, but I'm not going to put it on here
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Oh for sure, I was talking of my own situation. I do know though of a relatively easy way of getting them off the window though, but I'm not going to put it on here
me too, but as you say

i always thought that unlockable rejas were a fantastic idea.
Old Apr 14th 2010, 3:27 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Think I know what you mean, but not a great thing to be doing when seconds count and you're gasping your last few breaths of air.

Don't know about the rest of you, but I'm in an old style Spanish house or Valencia weekend home with only the one entrance door.
I used to take the key out of the back of it at night,but I leave it in now.
Come to think of it all the apartments I've had are like that,just one door,wonder if they match fire regs.if there are guests in?

Last edited by Dick Dasterdly; Apr 14th 2010 at 3:31 pm. Reason: add on

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.