Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Holiday Insurance problems for 80 year old!

Holiday Insurance problems for 80 year old!

Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday Insurance problems for 80 year old!

Hi all,

My father has just been refused annual insurance renewal and they also will not cover him for single-trip either although "technically" they will cover to age 85. An urgent issue as he comes on holiday on 20th this month. Will travel just on his EHIC if necessary, but wondered if anyone may know of any companies likely to cover an 80 year old with pre-existing medical conditions (who hasn't at that age) and who has been passed fit to travel by both his GP and hospital consultant.

Long shot I know, but thought i'd throw it open to all you knowledgeable people
Old Feb 9th 2011, 6:48 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday Insurance problems for 80 year old!

Originally Posted by linjon
Hi all,

My father has just been refused annual insurance renewal and they also will not cover him for single-trip either although "technically" they will cover to age 85. An urgent issue as he comes on holiday on 20th this month. Will travel just on his EHIC if necessary, but wondered if anyone may know of any companies likely to cover an 80 year old with pre-existing medical conditions (who hasn't at that age) and who has been passed fit to travel by both his GP and hospital consultant.

I think you may struggle and if you do succeed it will be expensive.
He will still be covered for treatment with his EHIC while he is on holiday.
The only major problem is if you are taken ill and you are staying in a hotel, but I assume he is staying with you, so you would be able to care for him if needed.
The possible need for repatriation to the UK is expensive, but hopefully that would not be needed.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by linjon
Hi all,

Perhaps www.ageuk.org.uk
or
www.saga.co.uk
may have something to offer?

Regards

jonboy
Old Feb 9th 2011, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

linjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the links.

I really think he will have to come with only the EHIC as having looked on the ageuk site, it specifically mentions exclusions if waiting for an operation which he is, for liver cancer. Consultant told him to go away on his holiday as the tumour has apparently been there for a long time and his bloods etc, show he is fine!

Guess I understand that insurers would see him as potentially "high risk" and quiite obviously "the computer says NO"
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

We had a look at Saga when the MiL came over, crazy prices so she just took a chance.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Michael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond reputeMichael74 has a reputation beyond repute

Just did a google and came up with

www.ehicplus.com have'nt looked at it in depth but it does say no age limit and pre-existing medical conditions covered