British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   holiday home (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/holiday-home-925960/)

jojochef48 Jun 24th 2019 12:52 pm

holiday home

We are looking to buy a holiday home in Spain to use in the summer and xmas , we would ideally like a pool or communal pool for the grandchildren , private outside space plus roof terrace . our budget is 150,000 euro with a bit of wiggle room . Can someone please recommend an area please, and advise on the areas to keep away from . Ideally I would like to be 30/45 mins away from airport and no more the 45 mins from the coast.
thank you .

Moses2013 Jun 24th 2019 1:16 pm

Re: holiday home

Originally Posted by jojochef48 (Post 12702028)
We are looking to buy a holiday home in Spain to use in the summer and xmas , we would ideally like a pool or communal pool for the grandchildren , private outside space plus roof terrace . our budget is 150,000 euro with a bit of wiggle room . Can someone please recommend an area please, and advise on the areas to keep away from . Ideally I would like to be 30/45 mins away from airport and no more the 45 mins from the coast.
thank you .

Could be anywhere to be honest and we can all recommend the places we picked personally. Most will say to rent before buying and of course you have all the other things to consider (legal etc.) Doesn't show exact location but this seems OK (150K). Will be the urbanisations away from madness closer to Vidreres, so maybe 10 mins to coast, 20 mins to airport. Lloret very loud/busy in summer but Ok off season and nicer towns like Tossa close by. Water World nice for kids and a lot of safe beaches for swimming.
https://www.idealista.com/en/inmueble/86000308/

Dxf Jun 24th 2019 1:20 pm

Hola

You don't say where you live; look at your nearest airports and find out where they fly to in Spain (which is a big country). Then start with those areas always bearing in mind that if there is only a couple of flights a week then the service may disappear.

Davexf

snikpoh Jun 24th 2019 1:27 pm

My comment would be to get one with a communal pool. If not, then you will be spending a lot of time getting it ready to use .... and then it's time to go home again.

Moses2013 Jun 24th 2019 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by snikpoh (Post 12702047)
My comment would be to get one with a communal pool. If not, then you will be spending a lot of time getting it ready to use .... and then it's time to go home again.

Or a property without communal pool. At the end of the day your fees for a communal pool will be more than you spend on entry fees (Currently 3€ and kids under 8 free) for public outdoor swimming pool locally. Other cheap option, a free standing pool you can buy at any larger supermarket.

jojochef48 Jun 24th 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12702055)
Or a property without communal pool. At the end of the day your fees for a communal pool will be more than you spend on entry fees (Currently 3€ and kids under 8 free) for public outdoor swimming pool locally. Other cheap option, a free standing pool you can buy at any larger supermarket.

Thank you very much for your advice I really appreciate it.

jonboy Jun 24th 2019 10:37 pm

Another happy customer!

spainrico Jun 26th 2019 11:52 am

Yes having a pool seems a great idea but...............swimming season is short, cleaning etc is a lot of work, they can and do go wrong (sometimes dramatically!) and if you are not living in the house all the time they can be a worry and a big overhead. You would definitely not be swimming at Christmas!! Unless you like arctic exploration. Good luck.

Leper Jun 28th 2019 5:50 am

Hmmmmmmm . . . .m! £150,000+ for a holiday home to be used during school holidays and Christmas. If you have that sort of lolly spare, well done! - and there's nothing like coastal Spain to relieve you of it. You may want your Spanish property to pay its way so perhaps there is an investment aspect to your venture? Great! - that's what most of us have. If this is not the case, don't read on.

. . . so there is an investment concern. You need to factor in a few more requirements. A roof terrace is a must (fair enough!). close proximity to airports a requirement too (OK!). If you are renting out your property, then you need a trustworthy person looking after your apartment. Maintenance will be necessary. You will need to advertise if you intend letting the place yourself. You may want to call in the services of an estate agent; costs bigtime and probably more than you think.

. . . if you're still reading, you're probably thinking that this Irish writer is trying to put you off, or at least get you thinking. Don't be put off; you're not the first to be thinking of buying in Spain and you won't be the last. The good news is property prices in coastal Spain have never been cheaper. Prices are not going to jump overnight so you have time on your side.

Costa del Sol is pretty expensive, over populated, high rise and add in your own et ceteras. Costa Almeria is drier and warmer and probably has more going for it (for you). You'll get more for your £150,000.00 and more likely will be a safer investment. We bought in Mojacar Playa fifteen years ago, so I put my money where my mouth is. [I can nearly hear some hardened posters here saying "that Irish mouth never stops . . . " - We don't regret our investment.

I hope I have given you food for thought. Best of Luck.

Moses2013 Jun 28th 2019 7:21 am

Originally Posted by Leper (Post 12703890)
Hmmmmmmm . . . .m! £150,000+ for a holiday home to be used during school holidays and Christmas. If you have that sort of lolly spare, well done! - and there's nothing like coastal Spain to relieve you of it. You may want your Spanish property to pay its way so perhaps there is an investment aspect to your venture? Great! - that's what most of us have. If this is not the case, don't read on.

. . . so there is an investment concern. You need to factor in a few more requirements. A roof terrace is a must (fair enough!). close proximity to airports a requirement too (OK!). If you are renting out your property, then you need a trustworthy person looking after your apartment. Maintenance will be necessary. You will need to advertise if you intend letting the place yourself. You may want to call in the services of an estate agent; costs bigtime and probably more than you think.

. . . if you're still reading, you're probably thinking that this Irish writer is trying to put you off, or at least get you thinking. Don't be put off; you're not the first to be thinking of buying in Spain and you won't be the last. The good news is property prices in coastal Spain have never been cheaper. Prices are not going to jump overnight so you have time on your side.

Costa del Sol is pretty expensive, over populated, high rise and add in your own et ceteras. Costa Almeria is drier and warmer and probably has more going for it (for you). You'll get more for your £150,000.00 and more likely will be a safer investment. We bought in Mojacar Playa fifteen years ago, so I put my money where my mouth is. [I can nearly hear some hardened posters here saying "that Irish mouth never stops . . . " - We don't regret our investment.

Good advice but I doubt that coastal Spain has never been cheaper. It's actually the opposite and prices have increased over the last few years and unless you are comparing with peak prices in 2009 (which was a bad time to buy), it's certainly not cheaper now.

johnnyone Jun 28th 2019 8:09 am

And don't forget the exchange rate if buying in sterling.

chrisjolly Jun 28th 2019 9:04 am

Originally Posted by Leper (Post 12703890)

Good advice but would disagree concerning the prices. Our area has seen an increase in about 15% since the crash and the market is quite buoyant. There are still people looking every day. This is the area inland from Marbella in the mountains and about 20 minutes from the coast. It is not over populated or has high rise but for 150,000 you might just buy a town house.

Leper Jun 28th 2019 6:16 pm

Like some have said there has been a 15%+ rise in the price of some property in coastal Spain since the crash. This (according to a real estate agent with whom I'm friendly and who claims anonymity) is for property largely at the upper end of the market or at least in areas where people wish to buy. Much of the lower end properties have not budged in price since 2014 other than to get cheaper or at best maintaining their lowest price.

Somebody said earlier that €150K might just about purchase a townhouse near Marbella. I would think you'd be lucky to get a shed in Marbella for that money (just my opinion). €150,000 in Costa Almería will get you quite a good property provided you don't act like somebody believing everything you see on A Place in the Sun.

Leper Jun 28th 2019 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by johnnyone (Post 12703919)
And don't forget the exchange rate if buying in sterling.

The exchange rate of the £ and € is important with the chance Brexit looming.