Reload this Page >

Holiday apartment Gran Canaria

Holiday apartment Gran Canaria

Old Jul 29th 2012, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

uk1357 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Holiday apartment Gran Canaria

Hi,
I visit Gran Canaria around 6 times a year for around 2 weeks at a time. Over time, I plan to increase this to a total of up to 6 months a year.I would obviously remain a UK resident.
I am considering buying an apartment for around euro 100K cash in a block with communal pool. I do not wish to let it out when I am not using it. It would purely be for the use of me and family/friends. I have visited many parts of Spain over the years and am clear in my mind that Gran Can is my preferred location, mainly for the winter sun.
I realise that prices may drop further but am taking a long term view so this does not bother me unduly.
I would be grateful for any comments on the pitfalls/problems/advantages of owning an apartment in a communal block in Spain (the typical community charge seems to be circa euro 100 -150 pm).
Many thanks
Old Jul 29th 2012, 6:02 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holiday apartment Gran Canaria

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 29th 2012, 7:23 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uk1357
Hi,
I visit Gran Canaria around 6 times a year for around 2 weeks at a time. Over time, I plan to increase this to a total of up to 6 months a year.I would obviously remain a UK resident.
I am considering buying an apartment for around euro 100K cash in a block with communal pool. I do not wish to let it out when I am not using it. It would purely be for the use of me and family/friends. I have visited many parts of Spain over the years and am clear in my mind that Gran Can is my preferred location, mainly for the winter sun.
I realise that prices may drop further but am taking a long term view so this does not bother me unduly.
I would be grateful for any comments on the pitfalls/problems/advantages of owning an apartment in a communal block in Spain (the typical community charge seems to be circa euro 100 -150 pm).
Many thanks
I would say that the first thing is to find a well run and pleasant community.
You need to spend time around your possible choices at various hours and also chat to a few of the local residents.

Some communities are much more touristy than others and from what you say I would suggest a one that is mainly residential so you don't have too much noise and disturbance.
As with most properties location is very important and also adequate and secure parking space should be available.

You will lose a certain amount of independence and be expected at all times to abide by community rules, however against this you should have fewer headaches than with a private property and almost everything outside the apt itself should be well taken care of.

Just a few things of the top of my head,having experienced both private and community life.
Hope they help.
Old Jul 30th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

uk1357 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
I would say that the first thing is to find a well run and pleasant community.
You need to spend time around your possible choices at various hours and also chat to a few of the local residents.

Some communities are much more touristy than others and from what you say I would suggest a one that is mainly residential so you don't have too much noise and disturbance.
As with most properties location is very important and also adequate and secure parking space should be available.

You will lose a certain amount of independence and be expected at all times to abide by community rules, however against this you should have fewer headaches than with a private property and almost everything outside the apt itself should be well taken care of.

Just a few things of the top of my head,having experienced both private and community life.
Hope they help.
thanks for your advice
Old Sep 24th 2012, 9:07 am
Just Joined

AlexBramwell is an unknown quantity at this point

Community charges in the south of Gran Canaria are about 100 per month but include bills. For 100K you should have no problem finding what you are looking for in Playa del Inglés, Maspalomas or Puerto Rico. You will need a NIE number and I recommend you pay an assesor to make sure that you get all yyour paperwork in order to prevent any future tax problems, either in Spain or in the UK.