Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Holding onto traditions from the homeland.....

Holding onto traditions from the homeland.....

Old Feb 19th 2007, 8:02 am
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold
Default Holding onto traditions from the homeland.....

Trying to head down a different path from the thread about knocking Britain. I don't think we will ever reach a conclusion. Seems to me some people resent what they see as being forced to live elsewhere, and have to find a way of justifying it, accurate or otherwise. Others just get on with it, acknowleding what they miss along the way.

However, I was wondering what importance we place on traditions from the homeland....what do we class as etiquette, and what do we class as good manners ??
I think etiquette changes with the years, and we should be thankful for that, but good manners are constant and universal.

Can we have examples of etiquette best consigned to the dustbin and good manners that should be retained, or that have been banished and should make a welcome return ??
And please, people, no swearing, rudeness and name calling. Use the F word, the C word, the S word by all means if you are describing the sexual act of pleasure, the genital organ, or bodily waste, but not in meaningless context.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Holding onto traditions from the homeland.....

Originally Posted by poollounger
Trying to head down a different path from the thread about knocking Britain. I don't think we will ever reach a conclusion. Seems to me some people resent what they see as being forced to live elsewhere, and have to find a way of justifying it, accurate or otherwise. Others just get on with it, acknowleding what they miss along the way.

However, I was wondering what importance we place on traditions from the homeland....what do we class as etiquette, and what do we class as good manners ??
I think etiquette changes with the years, and we should be thankful for that, but good manners are constant and universal.

Can we have examples of etiquette best consigned to the dustbin and good manners that should be retained, or that have been banished and should make a welcome return ??
And please, people, no swearing, rudeness and name calling. Use the F word, the C word, the S word by all means if you are describing the sexual act of pleasure, the genital organ, or bodily waste, but not in meaningless context.
Giving up ones seat for the disabled, the elderly and for pregnant women seems to be something that should, and in SOME cases still does happen as I witnessed while last in the UK, I saw it happeneing, and also saw young people insisting on remaining seated in bus seat that are clearly labelled that they should be given up for people in the categories I've already stated.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:10 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point

traditions I miss - well its holiday traditions for me.... christmas, bank holidays, easter etc etc - we got none of that here and its always fun to be part of.

In terms of crap traditions here - the men ALL pee on the side of the road, its disgusting and on a 5 minute journey you'll see at least 3 of them doing it.
UGH!

what is nice here - whenever someone enters the store, bank, clinic etcc - they announce "Good Morning" or Good afternoon" to everybody, and everybody responds. EVERYONE says hello, beeps their horns when you pass. Its incredibly friendly and polite in that way.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:18 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by islandmom

In terms of crap traditions here - the men ALL pee on the side of the road, its disgusting and on a 5 minute journey you'll see at least 3 of them doing it.
UGH!

They always used to say you could tell a man from Britain from one from the rest of Europe, in that the British man would face AWAY from the road while he had a pee.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 1:56 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute

Timekeeping takes some getting used to. In the UK if you have an appointment or a rendezvous with someone at 10am then you get there (and so do they) at 10am...at the latest. Here in Spain it's much more...er... "flexible". You may find you have an appoinment with the doctor for 7pm, and there is a waiting room of people all with an appointment to see the same doctor at....7pm!
My Spanish friends all make the effort to meet me at the prearranged time because they "know how the English are" about time!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

This is a tradition I have still......... I have to watch the Antique Road show on Sunday, while eating a boiled egg and soliders! Followed by a cup of tea and cadburys chocolate. Total comfort zone stuff!!!!!!!
Old Feb 19th 2007, 2:36 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

I know it's my error, but I was considering behaviour and not traditions...
I agree about seats on the bus train, but surely women should give up their seats too, for an elderly or disabled man??
I was thinking of daft traditions like fish knives...what earthly good are they, when a normal knife will do just as well. Or the milk/tea arrangement.. which comes first.
Frankly I think peeing on the road side very sensible as long as it's discreet. It's a nomal healthy function so why get hung up about it as long as it's not flashing. Sailors always pee from the rigging, and some hardened ones even go further in their ablutions over the bow.
Old Feb 19th 2007, 3:35 pm
Still young member

Rixxy will become famous soon enoughRixxy will become famous soon enough

Think I prefered the chocolate story above you!!